NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Should civil discourse about politics be allowed on FIO?

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one userque with 10 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 6 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 6 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SpeculatorSeth with 5 posts (15 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 23 thanks per post
    2. looks_two forrestang with 22 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,189 views
    2. thumb_up 235 thanks given
    3. group 512 followers
    1. forum 94 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Should civil discourse about politics be allowed on FIO?

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 196
Thanks Received: 876

Big Mike View Post
Hey guys,

It's 2021 and we're all hoping for positive change in the world, and a return to a bit more normalcy is soon upon us.

I would like to hear from you - should civil discourse of politics be allowed in the off-topic section of our community?

Politics often impact markets. There is also part of me that believes that we, as a community, have a lot to say about politics and the world events that affect us all.

There would be rules: a strong enforcement of civil posts. No incitement. No flames. No trolling.

I will be creating a site wide poll for this subject in the coming days, but the current poll is still running and needs to finish first. In the meantime, please share your thoughts.

Mike

Yes, Normalcy as for Covid...But US and World politics will be far from normal.

It will be sad to see civil discourse removed from futures.io because we all know that politics can affect the markets. JMHO.

Just one Example: If and when the new Administration starts removing Corporate tax cuts, the Markets could react with some vigor. It would be nice to see discussion as this plays out?

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

matthew28 
United Kingdom

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

Not fussed either way for a politics thread. I doubt I would post and as others have said, there are plenty of places on the internet where politics can be discussed.
Certainly no to anonymity: firstly because that inevitably makes the discourse more confrontational, secondly because lots of people use pseudonyms anyway, and if they are reluctant to stand up for their convictions, or be identified with them even behind a made up name, then I don't have much interest in reading their views.
And for anybody who uses their real name in this forum but feel unable to express those views despite good moderation, they are lots of alternative sites available for them to express themselves.

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

discussion will serve no purpose except to rile up others. look at gun control debate, it has been going for year after year without changing anybody mind. Even after all the massacres very few people change their mind about how gun law should be. I expect politic discussion is of the same way, my points will fall on deaf ears any way.

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

If any community were able to pull off any political discussion with mutual respect and without flaming, this would be it. If we keep it market-oriented, I think it can be done and vote yes.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
BertV
New Haven, CT

Thanks Given: 73
Thanks Received: 85

Absolutely. I have been looking for a place on the internet where I can discuss politics with people anonymously I don't know in real life but haven't been able to find one. I think this would fill a huge gap that exists on the interwebs.

Big Mike View Post
Hey guys,

It's 2021 and we're all hoping for positive change in the world, and a return to a bit more normalcy is soon upon us.

I would like to hear from you - should civil discourse of politics be allowed in the off-topic section of our community?

Politics often impact markets. There is also part of me that believes that we, as a community, have a lot to say about politics and the world events that affect us all.

There would be rules: a strong enforcement of civil posts. No incitement. No flames. No trolling.

I will be creating a site wide poll for this subject in the coming days, but the current poll is still running and needs to finish first. In the meantime, please share your thoughts.

Mike

Thanked by:

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

@Big Mike,

FuturesIO is for TRADING REVIEWS & STRATEGIES ... period. Don't pollute it with POLITICS ... the TV channels, with their respective BIASES, are always there for all the POLITICS of the world. POLITICS is dirty ... VERY DIRTY, all over the world.

Lolu

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Keab 
London UK

Platform: SierraChart/Prorealtime
Broker: Sierra Chart/prorealtime
Trading: SandP futures
Thanks Given: 122
Thanks Received: 316

I don't think having a political discussion area is a problem.
I look at the ES and commodities areas on the site, and occasionally elsewhere and that's it. Hardly ever look at offtopic area and have only recently done so. And that's the key point-the offtopic zone is an entirely separate area from the trading sections of the site. And that's how it should stay.

Having political discussions within trading threads is quite another matter and these should be stamped on immediately if it is not relevant to trading/markets/what is being discussed.

If you like the trading forums on here then having an offtopic/political zone will in no way impact the trading sections. It's a completely different part of the site and if you don't want to know the opinions being put forward on the offtopic section of the site then guess what.

Don't look.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,346
Thanks Received: 26,267

cory View Post
discussion will serve no purpose except to rile up others. look at gun control debate, it has been going for year after year without changing anybody mind. Even after all the massacres very few people change their mind about how gun law should be. I expect politic discussion is of the same way, my points will fall on deaf ears any way.

I recall having some good discussions here on gun control a while ago, with considerable passion from members who were pro (I was, and so were some others) and against (several others were.) Because everyone kept it on a non-personal plane, disagreeing when we did but not flaming or trolling the others, it went pretty well and I feel I learned from it, and that the members who disagreed with each other on the subject still can be cordial with each other.

I think this is possible -- just not the usual internet thing, but still possible, I hope here on futures.io.

I understand the idea that politics in basically a messy, dirty business involving a lot of mutual dislike and shouting. I wonder if it has to be, everywhere and at all times. I think not. It just takes a willingness to do it on a different basis.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,346
Thanks Received: 26,267

WoodyFox View Post
Yes, Normalcy as for Covid...But US and World politics will be far from normal.

It will be sad to see civil discourse removed from futures.io because we all know that politics can affect the markets. JMHO.

Just one Example: If and when the new Administration starts removing Corporate tax cuts, the Markets could react with some vigor. It would be nice to see discussion as this plays out?

At a minimum, a trading site has to have discussions about the impact of political actions on the markets.

This would not, imo, be just in the off-topic area. It can be very on-topic.... Looking at it objectively, not from a partisan position, but trying to figure out what the impact might be.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
 Keab 
London UK

Platform: SierraChart/Prorealtime
Broker: Sierra Chart/prorealtime
Trading: SandP futures
Thanks Given: 122
Thanks Received: 316

bobwest View Post
At a minimum, a trading site has to have discussions about the impact of political actions on the markets.

This would not, imo, be just in the off-topic area. It can be very on-topic.... Looking at it objectively, not from a partisan position, but trying to figure out what the impact might be.

Bob.

Agreed.
I asked the same thing earlier on the official Covid thread. What's the outlook for markets considering what we know at the moment?

Last Updated on February 8, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts