NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Should civil discourse about politics be allowed on FIO?

Discussion in Off-Topic

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one userque with 10 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 6 posts (18 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 6 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 SpeculatorSeth with 5 posts (15 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 23 thanks per post
    2. looks_two forrestang with 22 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 3.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 12,287 views
    2. thumb_up 235 thanks given
    3. group 512 followers
    1. forum 94 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

cory 
virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

bobwest View Post
I recall having some good discussions here on gun control a while ago...
Bob.

actually without politic discussion I will never know about how nutty those SC software engineer folks are. So yes, fire away, I did learn something new.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

80grit 
Carmel, IN/USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Jigsaw, Tradovate
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage, Tradovate
Trading: ES, RTY
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 9

Big Mike View Post
Guys,

I have one idea that might make this decision easier. What if I could make it so the Politics thread was completely anonymous? No display names next to posts? I am not sure I can, but I think so... it would take some doing, but I am actually kind of wanting a politics thread (can you tell) so I would be willing to try it.

Mike

I think anonymous discourse is part of the problem nowadays. I would vote no to that part.

OTH i think a discussion area on politics may be interesting.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

News and politics has a significant impact on my own trading. A large part of my analysis is trying to determine when order flow is being caused by informed trading, and if so what information the trading might be based on. In my view the execution cost of a trade tends to arbitrage away any statistical aberrations in market behavior that you might discover. Therefore a more reliable source of edge for a retail day trader is limiting your trading to situations where you have an informational advantage. That is to mean when you understand how your instrument reacts to news better than most other market participants.

For Futures trading one of the most common sources for such market moving news is related to politics. That makes understanding politics essential to predicting markets. Unfortunately, there is almost no discussion on these topics on the forum today. So to that point I believe that allowing political discussion on the forum would be extremely beneficial. Political discussion will always have a tendency to become somewhat toxic, but that is an issue that can be managed. It is important to allow people to express their political opinions so that we can better understand how others think. Those that don't wish to participate in such discussion can chose to not participate in those threads.

If such threads are allowed I would also recommend trying to create some way of separating or identifying discussion that is based on debate or opinion, and discussion that is analysis. The difference between what actually happens, and what you want to happen. This way discussion about the actual implications of specific events on markets doesn't get overwhelmed by people pushing their favored political outcome. This is also why I'd lean in favor of identifying posters. That way we can factor in people's personal biases when we read their analysis.

If there are still concerns then I would suggest taking a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/NeutralPolitics/ On that subreddit discussion is tightly moderated, and all top level comments require a citation. It's maybe not as fun, but it is much more effective at creating an informative discussion.

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 196
Thanks Received: 876

TWDsje View Post
News and politics has a significant impact on my own trading. A large part of my analysis is trying to determine when order flow is being caused by informed trading, and if so what information the trading might be based on. In my view the execution cost of a trade tends to arbitrage away any statistical aberrations in market behavior that you might discover. Therefore a more reliable source of edge for a retail day trader is limiting your trading to situations where you have an informational advantage. That is to mean when you understand how your instrument reacts to news better than most other market participants.

For Futures trading one of the most common sources for such market moving news is related to politics. That makes understanding politics essential to predicting markets. Unfortunately, there is almost no discussion on these topics on the forum today. So to that point I believe that allowing political discussion on the forum would be extremely beneficial. Political discussion will always have a tendency to become somewhat toxic, but that is an issue that can be managed. It is important to allow people to express their political opinions so that we can better understand how others think. Those that don't wish to participate in such discussion can chose to not participate in those threads.

If such threads are allowed I would also recommend trying to create some way of separating or identifying discussion that is based on debate or opinion, and discussion that is analysis. The difference between what actually happens, and what you want to happen. This way discussion about the actual implications of specific events on markets doesn't get overwhelmed by people pushing their favored political outcome. This is also why I'd lean in favor of identifying posters. That way we can factor in people's personal biases when we read their analysis.

If there are still concerns then I would suggest taking a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/NeutralPolitics/ On that subreddit discussion is tightly moderated, and all top level comments require a citation. It's maybe not as fun, but it is much more effective at creating an informative discussion.

Well Said! I couldn't agree more... Thanks for posting this.

Thanked by:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,236
Thanks Received: 101,658

The new poll is up, so you can cast your vote and continue the discussion:

Total votes: 688

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
userque
Chicago IL

Thanks Given: 573
Thanks Received: 130

Big Mike View Post
The new poll is up, so you can cast your vote and continue the discussion:

Mike

You missed one:

"Yes, with looser rules."

EDIT: I see you added 'something else'

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,236
Thanks Received: 101,658

TWDsje View Post

I am interested in your thoughts and experience here. Can you please point out a few examples of how this works better?

At first glance, a very strict citation requirement would really seem to squealsh any freedom of expression (aka their opinions). How can the conversation move forward in this case?

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

So as an example of them handling a hot topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeutralPolitics/comments/ks0wjg/the_terms_sedition_treason_and_insurrection_have/

Only the top level comments need citations, and so they all contain actual factual information. They also ask pretty specific questions which allow strict enforcement of staying on topic. All the resources you'd ever want to understand it. The laws in question, and past cases. Did you know there was an attack on congress in 1954?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NeutralPolitics/comments/jha3f1/is_a_federal_mask_mandate_legally_permissible/

Here again actual informational content. Discussion about difficulties with federal enforcement and using federal funding to pressure states. Past legal cases dealing with fining people for not being vaccinated. Articles discussing the constitutionality of such an order. If you are trying to determine the actual probability of something happening all the information is there.

Thanked by:
userque
Chicago IL

There are rules, and there is application.

The following is based on my experiences at years of political discussion forum participation and non-attorney representation of employees.

Regarding Rules:

Successful political forums seem to:
  • Allow more leeway than the non-political counterparts of the same website.
  • Require/warn participants that thick skin is required.
  • Allow labeling where a reasonable, thick-skinned person would deem it appropriate (doofus, clown, etc.)
  • Allow a block feature; where the person that is blocked, can't see the posts of the blocker. And the blocker can't see the posts of the blockee.
  • Disallow non-factual racism, and other Title VII-like subject-matter.
  • Utilized consistent enforcement. (One moderator?)
  • Rely more so on responding to complaints, rather than actively looking for violations.
  • Doesn't allow Admin to reveal private information of members, to other members.
  • Doesn't allow Admin to engage in political discussions.
  • * I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff; may supplement if so.
  • Keep political forum separated from main forum.

Regarding Applications:

The organized labor sector, along with management, utilizes a standard "Just Clause" concept with regard to rules and enforcement. It has passed the test of time, and is supported by the courts. However, it's value can extend beyond labor relations.

You can probably get the gist of it, and imagine how it can apply to moderation efforts, by visiting here:

https://hr.berkeley.edu/hr-network/central-guide-managing-hr/managing-hr/er-labor/disciplinary/just-cause

userque
Chicago IL

Forgot to add that a political forum can be a lot of fun. It really ain't that serious folks.

Here's an example where insults and contention works, though not rooted in politics. This is a classic battle. I have two other must see classics if anyone is interested and the Admin doesn't mind the postings.

Mature Subject Matter:

Last Updated on February 8, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts