NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Eurex Products Advice - FDAX/FDXM/FESX

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Dazzc with 14 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two neil with 4 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 matthew28 with 3 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 2 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one matthew28 with 3.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two JohnS with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 neil with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,723 views
    2. thumb_up 30 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 26 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Eurex Products Advice - FDAX/FDXM/FESX

Dazzc
Cardiff, UK

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 7

JohnS View Post
I´ve traded the FDXM and it has a lot of nice set-ups in the European morning. Have you considered the ES / MES at the same time frame? they have a lot more volume than the FDAX/FDXM, which might be beneficial for your methodology. There are also CFDs for the ES.

Never considered it @JohnS but I'll check it out. Thank you

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
75 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
55 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
36 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
The Program
16 thanks
Dazzc
Cardiff, UK

neil View Post
An American Broker like "TradeStation" "AMP" etc would allow you to trade Micro Futures - would that help ?

I've heard of AMP Neil but not checked them out. Thank you for the recommendation. Is this your method for trading the ES?

neil
Cambridge, UK

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 16

Dazzc View Post
I've heard of AMP Neil but not checked them out. Thank you for the recommendation. Is this your method for trading the ES?

I use Futures but I am a novice to Futures. many USA thread members consider Futures a more level playing field when compared to CFD's due to Futures having an open market. Perhaps a more experienced US Futures trader could comment?

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,495
Thanks Received: 26,292

matthew28 View Post
On the otherhand, although I have never traded CFDs, I believe they are like spot forex markets, no central exchange so the brokerage you trade with sets the price. Therefore they are a market maker and do take the opposite side of your trade to facilitate instant trade. So you trade against your broker who is making up the prices you have to trade at. (CFDs are banned in the US).

neil View Post
I use Futures but I am a novice to Futures. many USA thread members consider Futures a more level playing field when compared to CFD's due to Futures having an open market. Perhaps a more experienced US Futures trader could comment?

I have never traded CFD's either, because they are illegal in the United States.

The reason is simply that you are trading against your broker, not on an exchange where you are buying and selling with other traders. The opportunities for brokers to take advantage of the situation are pretty obvious. (Edit: this is not too different from spot forex, but there is a degree of regulation in the forex market. A large forex broker -- FXCM -- was recently banned from doing business in the United States for trading against their customers, rather than simply providing quotes and liquidity from outside sources, as they claimed.)

The title of this thread is "Eurex Products Advice..." but you would not be trading on Eurex, an exchange, if you traded CFD's.

Can you successfully trade CFD's anyway? I assume you can, but the game is somewhat tilted against you from the start. Just go into it with your eyes open.

There may be an advantage to CFD's in terms needing a smaller amount of money to get into them, but that is actually a danger too. Being underfunded is one of the best ways to lose your entire account quickly, because you can't withstand very many losing trades before you are out.

Be cautious here.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

matthew28 
United Kingdom
Elite_Member

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

Dazzc View Post
Thanks very much for the info

Would I be right in thinking if I am trading a CFD I guess I am always paying a min. small spread regardless of whether a market buy or limit buy is placed? for instance If I was to place a limit order with a CFD would that execute when the "market buy" price hits the limit order therefore I would always be paying some kind of spread or would it be the mid point between the buy/sell.

I'll preface my answer again by saying I have never traded CFD's only spot forex but that was a few years ago. I do know though that CFDs aren't traded on an exchange but the prices are set by the individual brokers like spot forex was when I was trading it so I assuming the platforms are still the same and they also tend to be commission free and making their money from the spread.
The picture below is a DOM for the Nasdaq equity index futures, (NQZ20 current front month).

Apologies if this is all obvious but: The Bid price is 11263.00 with one contract in the order book trying to buy that price. The Ask/Offer if 11263.50 with two contracts showing in the book trying to sell. If you sell with a market order and the price didn't move you would go short at 11263.00 if you sold one contract. If you sold two contracts you would get filled one contract at 11263.00, and one contract a tick lower at 11262.75. But a market order is an order to fill at the first available price for your position in the queue. Therefore by the time your order reaches the exchange the market might have moved and you don't know where you might be filled. The NQ is a thin product and can move fast, I have never traded the DAX but I understand it is faster still. As well as price moving all orders arriving at the exchange are executed in order (some exchange give order queue priority to large orders I believe, maybe some Treasuries, not sure but the CME will have a paper on that somewhere, but most are normal queues. So if somebody bangs in a ten lot short market order for instance just in front of you they will take everything down to 11262.25 leaving your order to start filling at 11262.00.

With futures if I want to buy I can tap in a limit order on the DOM to add to the order book queue and try to buy at any price from 11263.00 down. When I traded spot forex because the companies made their profit on the spread the platforms only had buy or sell buttons to push for market orders, or you could set a panel to enter a limit order but it had to be say at least ten or twenty ticks, or pips, away from current price, same for the exit order.
So none of this really matters, whether you pay a cost in the spread or a small commission, if you want to trade relatively infrequently for large targets. But if daytrading and especially scalping, you trade futures because you can place trades where you want and the exchange matches prices and the futures broker just facilitates the trade/provides margin. I have seen you say what tools you think might be useful for your trading, but not what sort of timeframe you imagine holding your trades for.

Dazzc View Post
I've read a few articles re this but could never quite 100% understand the process - In terms of when when the broker sells to you when you "market buy" within their product. Are they actually placing a trade within the actual exchange or just offering liquidity in house?

I could never quite understand if this was true then why do their CFD's track exactly how the underlying index tracks. So they sell to you and just hope that you are wrong as even though they are a market maker their product is driven off the underlying indices.

With US futures such as the NQ the CME is the exchange that sets the price of the products and manages the orders. You hit buy and the order goes to your broker, they send it to the CME and the CME computer place it in the queue and match it then fill it. All the orders go to them as there is one exchange.
With CFDs there is no central exchange. Each individual broker makes their own price and they take the opposite side of your trade. They offer you liquidity and the ability to trade by making a market for you and allowing you to trade with them.
Traditionally futures contracts were very large with high tick values, CFDs and spot forex allowed retail traders to get into the trading arena "commission free" trading mini or micro contracts. So a futures forex contract might have been $10/tick, but a mini spot forex contract could be traded at $1/pip, or a micro contract at $0.10/pip. Much less risk for those with small accounts.
Futures markets are now offering smaller contracts in some products to try and gain some of that business such as micro equity index futures.

Most day traders lose money so a company taking the opposite side of your bet is likely to make money anyway, but they are also making the spread on every single trade. I assume that they don't take the opposite side of your trade and hold it until you get out, but all their positions are just bundled together in their system for a contract, like the NQ and they just buy and sell from their holding to fill whatever customer order comes in, and presumably they have a first in first out type system so they are covering the contracts as quickly as possible to reduce holding time so just making the spread as much as possible and not benefiting or losing too much on directional moves. They might have one set of products that is having a very directional day so retail traders are keener trading one way or the other, but I imagine their books are being monitored in real time to ensure their holdings aren't biased too much in one direction, and perhaps if that happens they also offset risk by taking a hedge in the futures market in that product until they can bring it back to neutral. That's just me surmising what would sound logical. At the end of the day though they will have traders placing thousands of trades across a large range of contracts of different product types, and they will be collecting the spread on every trade and raking it in.

Dazzc View Post
Finally forgive the nosiness but I notice you are UK trader trading ES. I'm wondering what setup you use to get the best data/platform and broker in terms of cost effectiveness.

Trading the NQ rather than the ES. I like Jigsaw trading platform (The DOM pictured above). Tradovate are a good futures broker, or TSTrader through Topstep trader, a funding company.
But to be honest I am not quite in profit yet, but do feel I am finally well on the right track for a style of trading that is compatible for me and that I can execute calmly and without fear of loss preventing me clicking the mouse.
Not sure of your experience or how long you have been interested in this, but always bear in mind that most people lose money or give up quickly. Unless you are very unusual it will probably be a very long road best thought of as an interest that is likely to cost you money for a while (though that doesn't have to be blowing out accounts if sensible), and very few actually turn the corner to make consistent money.
Not meant to be a lecture. Good luck

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden
Thanked by:
 ragic 
N. Yorks, UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT8
Trading: ES
Frequency: Never
Duration: Seconds
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 58

Don't forget the Bund FGBL. A lot of the prop shops trade this... Good volume whereas the ES is thinner in UK mornings.

Also the margin on the Bund is $1000, whereas the ES mini is $13,000 and ES micro is $1300,

Thanked by:
Dazzc
Cardiff, UK

bobwest View Post
I have never traded CFD's either, because they are illegal in the United States.

The reason is simply that you are trading against your broker, not on an exchange where you are buying and selling with other traders. The opportunities for brokers to take advantage of the situation are pretty obvious. (Edit: this is not too different from spot forex, but there is a degree of regulation in the forex market. A large forex broker -- FXCM -- was recently banned from doing business in the United States for trading against their customers, rather than simply providing quotes and liquidity from outside sources, as they claimed.).

Thanks for the info. One point - if the actual CFD moves and tracks exactly the same as the underlying exchanged product with my broker would you consider this being a massive issue? The broker is a well known one within the UK.

bobwest View Post

The title of this thread is "Eurex Products Advice..." but you would not be trading on Eurex, an exchange, if you traded CFD's.

I am carrying out my analysis on the underlying exchange product so I can see footprint, delta, order flows and DOM etc.. then carrying out the execution on the CFD

bobwest View Post
Can you successfully trade CFD's anyway? I assume you can, but the game is somewhat tilted against you from the start. Just go into it with your eyes open.

I am mostly SIM trading at the moment, or very small amounts on CFDs as I am able to reduce my risk to really low levels. My plan is to be profitable with small amounts then slowly ramp up the risk or move to a futures contract/mini on underlying exchange.

bobwest View Post
There may be an advantage to CFD's in terms needing a smaller amount of money to get into them, but that is actually a danger too. Being underfunded is one of the best ways to lose your entire account quickly, because you can't withstand very many losing trades before you are out.

Be cautious here.

Bob.

Thanks for the heads up - always appreciated Cheers.

Dazzc
Cardiff, UK

ragic View Post
Don't forget the Bund FGBL. A lot of the prop shops trade this... Good volume whereas the ES is thinner in UK mornings.

Also the margin on the Bund is $1000, whereas the ES mini is $13,000 and ES micro is $1300,

Cheers. I'll look into it. Is this a market you have had much success with?

neil
Cambridge, UK

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 16

ragic View Post

Regarding the ES Micro's - it is not $1300 it is a quarter of initial margin at TradeStation for example:

https://www.tradestation.com:443/pricing/futures-margin-requirements/

And less at AMP:https://www.ampfutures.com/trading-info/margins/

These are NOT overnight margins.
I note that I can trade Micro Futures on a small account on an open market (CME) whereas I might have less freedom ( due to account size) to trade full Futures or other instruments.
But that is not a problem since I feel more at ease within an open market and I trade just one instrument.
My only wish is for a USA type broker like those mentioned above , to open a UK office so that we (UK and maybe other Euro countries) can trade Micro's etc AND can fund an account using debit card or SEPA rather than expensive wire etc. I think, with the advent of the Micro's etc. that there is an untapped market for a FUTURES broker in the Uk/Europe to cater for us small time scalpers etc.
Even IB, which has a UK office insists on Wired funds!

Thanked by:
Dazzc
Cardiff, UK

Thanks for taking the time to post that Matthew.

matthew28 View Post
So none of this really matters, whether you pay a cost in the spread or a small commission, if you want to trade relatively infrequently for large targets. But if daytrading and especially scalping, you trade futures because you can place trades where you want and the exchange matches prices and the futures broker just facilitates the trade/provides margin. I have seen you say what tools you think might be useful for your trading, but not what sort of timeframe you imagine holding your trades for.

Timeframes I am looking at 30minutes to 1 hour per trade.

matthew28 View Post
Most day traders lose money so a company taking the opposite side of your bet is likely to make money anyway, but they are also making the spread on every single trade. I assume that they don't take the opposite side of your trade and hold it until you get out, but all their positions are just bundled together in their system for a contract, like the NQ and they just buy and sell from their holding to fill whatever customer order comes in, and presumably they have a first in first out type system so they are covering the contracts as quickly as possible to reduce holding time so just making the spread as much as possible and not benefiting or losing too much on directional moves. They might have one set of products that is having a very directional day so retail traders are keener trading one way or the other, but I imagine their books are being monitored in real time to ensure their holdings aren't biased too much in one direction, and perhaps if that happens they also offset risk by taking a hedge in the futures market in that product until they can bring it back to neutral. That's just me surmising what would sound logical. At the end of the day though they will have traders placing thousands of trades across a large range of contracts of different product types, and they will be collecting the spread on every trade and raking it in.

The broker I use does state on their website that "We hedge only when overall client exposure is skewed in one direction" So looks like you are correct Matthew. So I assume for instance if the market is trending down drastically and most of their clients are correctly shorting/selling. How would they "hedge" in this situation - I assume they would be placing short orders into the market to hedge against all the clients who have "Sold" to them I.e. they have a high "buy/long" position overall so need to short against this in line with their clients?

matthew28 View Post
Trading the NQ rather than the ES. I like Jigsaw trading platform (The DOM pictured above). Tradovate are a good futures broker, or TSTrader through Topstep trader, a funding company.
But to be honest I am not quite in profit yet, but do feel I am finally well on the right track for a style of trading that is compatible for me and that I can execute calmly and without fear of loss preventing me clicking the mouse.
Not sure of your experience or how long you have been interested in this, but always bear in mind that most people lose money or give up quickly. Unless you are very unusual it will probably be a very long road best thought of as an interest that is likely to cost you money for a while (though that doesn't have to be blowing out accounts if sensible), and very few actually turn the corner to make consistent money.
Not meant to be a lecture. Good luck

Cheers I'll check that setup out - I am more or less taking it as you say as an "interest" or hobby and slowly trying to gain knowledge hear and there. I'd be interested to know how you have developed in terms of turning the corner in terms of any advice/websites or strategies you think I should be looking into.

Once again thanks

Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 23, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts