NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

ES/MES Price correlation question

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3 posts (14 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3 posts (9 thanks)
    3. looks_3 da11 with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Rrrracer with 2 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two matthew28 with 4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 da11 with 2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 7,590 views
    2. thumb_up 43 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 15 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

ES/MES Price correlation question

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

bobwest View Post
The argument you make would suggest that an order flow trader who trades MES should be watching the orders on ES instead

Not an order flow trader, or bar trader myself, so purely hypothetical, but yes that's what I was thinking.

Rrrracer View Post
I'm a bar trader, and trade MES based on an ES chart. I almost never look at a standalone micro chart; when I have it is nearly identical... but while trading, I sometimes get filled/stopped by MES trading a tick level here or there where ES doesn't go.

I always advise people trading QM the crude eMini to base decisions on the CL chart not the QM chart. You comment on being stopped out in the less liquid contract on a "noise tick" is interesting and not something I have ever considered. While you can time entries and exits in Data A (less liquid) based upon Data B (more liquid), I suppose it's not possible to say, "if my stop would be triggered on Data B then stop me out on Data A.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

SMCJB View Post
While you can time entries and exits in Data A (less liquid) based upon Data B (more liquid), I suppose it's not possible to say, "if my stop would be triggered on Data B then stop me out on Data A.

Well, ya got me thinking about it... and it appears that Sierrachart can accommodate this exact situation.

Gonna take 'er for a test drive and see how it works out.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

matthew28 
United Kingdom
Elite_Member

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Bookmap
Broker: Stage 5, Rithmic
Trading: US Equity Index Futures
Thanks Given: 3,500
Thanks Received: 2,532

With Bookmap/Jigsaw Vista or similar, ie a chart showing orderbook depth, there is a marked difference in the look of a QM chart compared to CL or MES compared to ES, MNQ to NQ and so on. Especially if using Rithmic data or a data feed that has full depth and not only ten layers.
I can't bring up charts now, as I don't have that data or using those programs presently, but I just remember it as something I recall from when I did do so. The fullsize products were much more defined with size resting at orders waiting for price to come to it, whereas the micro contracts at that time frequently tended to have size shadowing price up and down a constant distance above or below price. Much more what I would imagine to be algo actively.
Another point in favour of charting the fullsize product if trading the corresponding micro.

You do not win as a trader, you just get to play again the next day. If that game doesn’t appeal to you then you should not trade. Gary Norden
Thanked by:

GruttePier 
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 4,519
Thanks Received: 8,698

bobwest View Post
It may be. I would defer to someone who trades on the orders.

The argument you make would suggest that an order flow trader who trades MES should be watching the orders on ES instead, which is plausible to me. Because MES is relatively speaking so thin, probably any order-based decision should be made based on ES. But if someone is following ES order flow and trading MES, sometimes their trade decisions would be out of whack, because there will be differences between the two instruments.

Again, I would defer to someone who actually does it, but this does make sense to me.

Bob.

Stepping-in late in this discussion, but I just found this thread and like the subject.

I'm not an order flow trader and don't use the DOM, but I look at ES chart, volume, tick and tape while actually trading MES.
Sometimes there is tick difference, which is not relevant in my case.
Recently I found out that VWAP on MES is different than the VWAP on ES. Logical ofcourse.

As long as you're not trading for a few ticks, my experience is that trading ES while watching orders on ES makes perfect sense.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Gauer
garopaba + santa catarina

Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 62

Replying to OP

I think itīs because, in the end, it is the same market. In futures trading you can only trade the minimum size which is 1 contract, the size of the ES mini is 1 contract and you canīt change that like you can in forex where you can trade 1 lot or 0.1 lot in the same instrument.

So they had to create a new instrument to offer 0.1 size.

In the end the chart just mirrors the ES mini, it is better to overlay the volume of the ES mini on the micro chart.

CalvinoHobbino 
New York City

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 12

Rrrracer View Post
Well, ya got me thinking about it... and it appears that Sierrachart can accommodate this exact situation.

Gonna take 'er for a test drive and see how it works out.

Hi @Rrrracer,

Did you check this out yet? I'm curious to hear your experience. Does it work as advertised?

Thanks!

Last Updated on November 6, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts