NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Backtest Strategy weak points

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one walter739 with 16 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two Tiffsgreta with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 4 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 userque with 3 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 3.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two fernlicht with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 vmodus with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 walter739 with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,799 views
    2. thumb_up 58 thanks given
    3. group 225 followers
    1. forum 45 posts
    2. attach_file 7 attachments

Search this Thread

Backtest Strategy weak points

walter739
Caracas

Thanks Given: 114
Thanks Received: 12

kevinkdog View Post
Are you placing all limit orders, or are at least some orders market and/or stop orders?

You can't buy at the bid and sell at the ask, which is what $0 slippage implies...

All orders at market in the strategy.

In the past i use sppedytradingservers, the velocity i thought this help me to reduce the slippage to 0 in bar of 15 min.

If my orders all at market i must slippage min (1) to have a more real backtest although I use sppedytradingservers ?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

walter739 View Post
All orders at market in the strategy.

In the past i use sppedytradingservers, the velocity i thought this help me to reduce the slippage to 0 in bar of 15 min.

If my orders all at market i must slippage min (1) to have a more real backtest although I use sppedytradingservers ?

Speedytradingservers is great, but it will not save you from slippage.

When your order goes to the market, for a buy you pay the higher ask price. BUT, your strategy might think you have been filled at the bid price. That is what I am calling slippage - the difference between the real money fill price and the strategy fill price.

Sometimes you'll get real money filled at ask, and the strategy will think you paid the ask, so that would be $0 slippage.
Sometimes you'll get real money filled at ask, and the strategy will think you paid the bid, so that would be $12.5 slippage.
Sometimes slippage can be even greater than that (in a fast market).

And, since you are using market orders on both entry and exit, you could easily be hit on both sides.

So, the net impact of slippage on your particular strategy ($30 average profit per trade before slippage) is HUGE.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
walter739
Caracas

kevinkdog View Post
Speedytradingservers is great, but it will not save you from slippage.

When your order goes to the market, for a buy you pay the higher ask price. BUT, your strategy might think you have been filled at the bid price. That is what I am calling slippage - the difference between the real money fill price and the strategy fill price.

Sometimes you'll get real money filled at ask, and the strategy will think you paid the ask, so that would be $0 slippage.
Sometimes you'll get real money filled at ask, and the strategy will think you paid the bid, so that would be $12.5 slippage.
Sometimes slippage can be even greater than that (in a fast market).

And, since you are using market orders on both entry and exit, you could easily be hit on both sides.

So, the net impact of slippage on your particular strategy ($30 average profit per trade before slippage) is HUGE.

Thank you for you time and the advice, i appreciated, i need reevaluate the strategy, with 1 in slippage the strategy is very diferent, annex photo.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strategy4.PNG
Views:	224
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	305459  
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

walter739 View Post
Thank you for you time and the advice, i appreciated, i need reevaluate the strategy, with 1 in slippage the strategy is very diferent, annex photo.

Regards

"1 in slippage" - is that dollars, or ticks?

walter739
Caracas

kevinkdog View Post
"1 in slippage" - is that dollars, or ticks?

Is in ticks.

One tick less in the exit
One tick more in the entry

How you can write, sometimes the order can be entry in the bid price but no ever, if i wish a more real and safe backtest i need slippage.

Thank you , this advice can be save me learn this for the bad .

Sysmet 
Київ

Platform: Sierra, Zorro
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 8

Test your strategy with live simulation mode for 1 month, then export all trades and compare them to your backtest data for the same period of time. There will be differences in entries and exits between live and backtest — analyze them and make adjustments. Consider limit orders for regular entries/exits to eliminate slippage, if it fits your strategy.

IFeelLikeNeo   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 38

Also... add your trade costs; mine are around $2.75. That makes a difference to a backtest that trades 1,000 times or more, though much less than the essential slippage of course.

Also... buy and read Kevin Davey's book "Building Winning Algorithmic Trading Systems". It covers almost all of the biggest pitfalls you're coming across, including the ones explained here.

Testing on blind periods (either manually or using your platform's 'walkforward' mode) is also essential.

Pick a random spot on your equity curve. Imagine you had just started trading at that point. How long before you made money? Now do that two or three more times. Could you have happily traded through the ensuing 3, 6, 9, 12 months?

Thanked by:
 SidewalkAerobics 
Los Angels

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiChart
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 173
Thanks Received: 71

Your average profit per trade without slippage is $31. With a couple of ticks of slips (-$25) this leaves $6 per trade.

Your largest loss is over $7,000 and will increase as you add slippage, and no fills for some limit orders. (Try using 10% of limit entry winners not filled for backtesting. Also a tick of slippage for each leg of a market order.)

The biggest hurdle will be to enter on a limit rather than market. Limits don't always get filled and market entries create slippage between the bid and ask.

Keep us updated as you generate a report with slippage. Best wishes, your hard work is showing.

Thanked by:
 T1234 
Nashua NH

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 4

walter739 View Post
Hello, i build a strategy with ES mini, I test it in simulted mode and the entrys work fine. But i have doubts before use in real time and need advices for check weak points. I see the graph good but maybe i have dont see something what experts can see bad.

- I backtest with mode merged back adjusted, but i backtest too in merged non back adjusted and dont change much in the results.
- I wish trade (1) ES mini, the drawdown of 18.000$, in the experiencie, can be supportable or it is too much for 1 Es mini ?
- The time for recover is 328 days, in the experiencie, can be normal for a strategy 15 min ?
- I adjust 6 paramethers for this results, included open and close time. It is too many parameters for a simple strategy?
- For expert eyes the result of strategy look good o have many weak points ?

Please I need advices for read and apply correctly backtest.

I annex photos of the results.

Did you consider running this in SIM for a while, to see if your results match?

Thanked by:
ePing
Hayden + Idaho/USA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 4

To help prove out your strategy, minimize damage to your account, and provide confidence going forward, recommend trading your strategy live on the Micro E-Mini S&P (MES) or a while ... maybe a week or two. MES has the same underlying chart as ES so your strategy should perform (close to) the same on each. If it does well on MES, then roll it up to ES. Nothing like trading a strategy live to learn what it can really do. Cheers.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on October 13, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts