NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Best broker and data feed for Sierra Charts?

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one wisp with 9 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two 58LesPaul with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 qsceszwasdx with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 KXRTrading123 with 5 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one lezzlee with 3.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ondafringe with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Midknight with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 KXRTrading123 with 1.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 39,746 views
    2. thumb_up 80 thanks given
    3. group 250 followers
    1. forum 70 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Best broker and data feed for Sierra Charts?

lezzlee
Budapest, Hungary

Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Received: 37

fivewhy View Post
Bro, you're the one confused. I'm not sure if you meant to quote my post or someone else's. I assure you, I know the the roles of the broker, the fcm, the data provider & order router. But what really pisses me off is that you didn't even bother to answer my questions.

What confusion of mine are you referring to? I asked what Denali has to offer (i.e., what is the "draw" of using it). My question specifically noted that Denali is a data provider and uses TT order routing. You did not address this. As to my second question, I still do not know if Sierra allows feeding charts with one data provider while routing order through another. If you're confused about this, check out IRT which specifically allows this. There is such a thing as data providers who do not route orders.

Sorry, if I was not clear.
Yes, Sierra is able connect to different data feed and order routing with a proper setup. If you are interested in all the capabilities check out the DTC server section of the platform documentation.

As of now, Denali + TT is an integrated and the preferred Sierra solution if you trade the 4 CME exchanges only.
This setup is easily available at AMP and deducted from your AMP balance. However, you can set this up at any broker who works with TT. Since Denali and Sierra can be paid from your Sierra balance. This way you cannot use the brokers' sometimes offered free Sierra but register at Sierra and pay them directly.

If you trade other, eg. EU markets you need to use Sierra Real-Time Data Feed because Denali serves CME only.

Other details were answered in previous posts.

The original question of this thread however mentioned ThinkorSwim and TD AmeriTrade and I was not sure if the poster trades futures only.
One can trade forex and stocks, maybe options too with Sierra but I have never done that before so I cannot help with that.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Build trailing stop for micro index(s)
Psychology and Money Management
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

KXRTrading123 
Salt Lake City

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart, TV, MT4
Trading: %Rates,FX,Index,Commodities
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 35

billmcg View Post
Thanks for your post. This has been a difficult quest for me also. I started out with Ensign Windows a great technical platform that few know about. If I opened an account at Infinity Futures, the data feed to drive Ensign was free. And I used the infinity DOM to place trades, A very nice DOM. Ensign cost me $50.00 mo.
Then I decided to drop the Ensign cost and use Infinity Charts (Sierra Platform). I did like Sierra and that feed was free past 10 Round Trips Mo, also because of my Infinity Account. Sierra took some time to negotiate the techs but alot less cumbersome than Ninja.
Next Infinity decided to throw out the Sierra Package and started their own charting package which is (s--t imo.
Next I migrated my account to Ninja and it was a nightmare, I would never endorse this Platform. The free platform has limited trading tools, and one need to rent or buy the upper level package.

I would recommend the Infinity Broker account, minimums to open. This would drive either their platform (s--t) or take a look at Ensign(very user friendly) or Infinity will allow you to use the original Sierra Program but you have to specify and there will be a fee. I have had an Ensign account since 1999. Just cannot trade on the chart, have to use the DOM
Lots of luck with trading, keep it simple.
billm

Nice on Ensign!!! I started in 1988 had Ensign with Bonneville Data, 5' Sat Dish on the roof of my office!!! Called my trades to the floor!

Follow me on Twitter

jmccabeVA 
Washington DC/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Dorman Trading, IBKR
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 11

Thanks to all for the info on Sierra and providers. I didn't see much discussion on Interactive Brokers. Does anyone have experience with Sierra and IBKR? What is your setup like? Any links to documentation on how this is setup?

Thanks.
-James

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

ondafringe
Albuquerque, NM, USA

Thanks Given: 87
Thanks Received: 117

jmccabeVA View Post
Thanks to all for the info on Sierra and providers. I didn't see much discussion on Interactive Brokers. Does anyone have experience with Sierra and IBKR? What is your setup like? Any links to documentation on how this is setup?

Thanks.
-James

No love lost...

https://www.sierrachart.com/SupportBoard.php?ThreadID=48856

https://www.sierrachart.com/index.php?page=doc/InteractiveBrokers.php

Thanked by:

wisp
vancouver, BC

Thanks Given: 89
Thanks Received: 16

lezzlee View Post
There are five services:
  • Your broker manages your account. Funding, withdrawal, margin, daily loss, etc.
  • FCM clears your trades according to your fills through the exchanges.
  • Order routing provider sends your orders to the exchange and manages the fills. Your broker sets up what it should allow or disallow for you, eg. markets, trade sizes, margin.
  • Data feed provides you with all or most of the things happening at the exchages, in the order book (ladder/DOM); and holds the historical data.
  • Your trading platform which is connected to everything required.

You might be confused because often you meet the broker only, and the same company provides both the data feed and the order routing (eg. CQG). And sure, some companies provide multiple services.

As you can see your platform is a crucial point as it must support many combinations or be a closed ecosystem (eg. TradeStation).
Sierra has began to consolidate its services to help you out better when problems arise.

For your information Sierra ends Rithmic support soon if for example you plan to trade for evaluators who use Rithmic.

Thanks I needed this clarification though I have been trading for a few years now.

A further doubt though. Not all US brokers support Canadian clients. Is that a purely broker thing or do any of the other other entities involved also need to support this?

Cornbeefsoup
Jersey City + New Jersey, United States

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 51

I would recommend Stage Five

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

mrizzo 
Gainesville, Fl

Experience: Beginner
Trading: Futures - ag, indexes, +
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Received: 5

very helpful thread. I am new to the forum and new for the third time trading futures. last time I traded, I must have used tradestation because I don't remember having to deal with all of this. Trying to do it right this time and not be a noob a 4th time. thanks to everyone who has commented here and the original poster forasking the question.

billmcg
rochester,newyork,usa

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 12

I also use Ensign 10 with infinity data feed and use thier dom. BEST SETUP. Ensign is huge. Talked to them about brokerage they said no way.
Used ensign since 1989 recommended to me by George Lane father of Stochastics.

Quit Ensign briefly to try Sierra,cant compare. quit ensign again to try infinity new paltform..total junk can see how they got bought out not touch with traders needs.
Quit ensign again to Ninja, The absolute worse ever nightmare platform

Back at Ensign making money.

You can not beat Ensign with Infinity feed (right now until Ninja screws it up)

thankyou for posts

mrizzo 
Gainesville, Fl

Experience: Beginner
Trading: Futures - ag, indexes, +
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Received: 5

billmcg View Post

You can not beat Ensign with Infinity feed (right now until Ninja screws it up)

Maybe I 'm missing something but how does Ninja come into play?

billmcg
rochester,newyork,usa

Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 12

Ninja bought Transact out

Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts