NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Advice for best # of Ticks to set charts to for MES or MNQ ?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one skymonk with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two lightsun47 with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 hedgeplay with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 loantelligence with 1 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two hedgeplay with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 l1onel with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 lightsun47 with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,847 views
    2. thumb_up 17 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 13 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Advice for best # of Ticks to set charts to for MES or MNQ ?

skymonk 
Dallas, Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS
Broker: IB
Trading: MES, MNQ
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 1

Also i need to correct, the chart that i found some interesting correlations with as it winds down each time was actually * 950 * not 995 though i will look into it as well.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

sandtrading
los angeles, California

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 9

I would say whatever is the calculation that comes to around 5mins in terms of ticks.

skymonk View Post
Hi all, first time posting, and before my question, thank you for all you do here, really appreciate the forum.

My question: I exclusively trade the micros, /MES and /MNQ and sometimes /M2K. Generally looking for 2-3 points. So not scalping like some do for only a few ticks, but not very long time frames or positions either. Any thoughts on best size Tick charts to use? Ive read anywhere from 133 up to 500 or 995? Would appreciate any thoughts or opinions and thanks for such a great forum. I aspire to eventually be a help to others the way Ive seen so many of you be.

Drewski1980 
Scottsdale AZ

Experience: None
Platform: MT4 and NT
Trading: ES and GC
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 6

bobwest View Post
Probably the only real way for you to know is to put up a number of charts with different tick sizes and see how they show the market to you. You want to get the size moves that interest you, and you don't want too much extra noise, so look for a balance that shows you the trades you want and that smooths out the smaller zigs and zags that you aren't interested in.

Something as simple as looking at 100, 500, 1,000 etc. -- or even 100, 200, 300 etc. -- and then zeroing in on what works best for you. Take a few minutes to set up the charts and look them over, see how you would trade them, and then follow some for a while in real time to see how well you can respond to them.

There really is no "right" answer, but you will be able to tell fairly quickly what works for you, or at least what looks good at first sight. Then the real test will be how you trade them, which you won't know without doing it.

I would make the same suggestion to anyone about any other chart type -- time bars, volume bars, range bars, Renko, whatever -- give different settings a look and then see how you would trade them. People will suggest different numbers, for many different reasons, and their suggestions may be good ones, but only if they work well for you. And you're the only one who can tell if they do or don't.

Bob.

I used to love HA, until i discovered wicked renko bars on NT. Thats my favorite.

loantelligence 
Syracuse, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 31
Thanks Received: 189

I like to use Unirenko on the MNQ 2/5/10.....easy to see entries and exits for me anyway...I try to grab at least 12-16 ticks per contract but will settle for 4 if necessary....only trade one at a time but add to it if I think its going in my direction ..first day using the Chaikin Money Flow.....sample of my chart today.....
[IMG]https://nexusfi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=304081[f/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (22).png
Views:	767
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	304081  
Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 14, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts