NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What is the best Risk Reward Ratio? But is that the right question?

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one WoodyFox with 11 posts (19 thanks)
    2. looks_two SpeculatorSeth with 10 posts (15 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Sandpaddict with 9 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Madness with 9 posts (23 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one wldman with 6.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Madness with 2.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 WoodyFox with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SpeculatorSeth with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 17,426 views
    2. thumb_up 126 thanks given
    3. group 191 followers
    1. forum 74 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

Search this Thread

What is the best Risk Reward Ratio? But is that the right question?

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader, MT4
Broker: IB, Global Prime
Trading: Futures CFDs
Thanks Given: 975
Thanks Received: 637

datahogg View Post
Notice the attached Monte Carlo analysis. Trade long enough and you are guaranteed at least 5 losses in a row.
With a black swan event of 20+ losses in a row.

AKA... the longer you trade the larger the chance you'll see a larger drawdown then ever before. (Think LTCM) I think they STILL claim it couldn't happen in many many lifetimes)

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

WoodyFox View Post
Good points, but I'm not sure anybody is suggesting only no stop strats to find a best Risk Reward ratio. Just whether a best ratio exists?

Umm. I'm not sure about that. The original poster claims he uses ATR profit targets within volatility and 50 point stops.

It broke off into a discussion about a universally good R/R.

My beliefs about that are just like TWDsje said earlier. Sure there is but WHAT ARE THE CONSTRAINTS? Type your parameters into your backtesting engine and it'll spit it out. Then do it over many many. Like probably thousands of iterations of those parameters and average over all of them. Again its just a number. An average.

What does that mean. Nothing other than thats what happend in the past.

Just my 2 cents.

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Madness View Post
The standard estimation for how long it takes a business to be profitable is about two to three years.

A 15%-20% profit margin for a business is considered good.

In trading, the baseline is 3.5-4:1. What were the parameters that concluded that? Was it any of our chart setups or our in and out signals? No, it’s not.

All three of these “standards” above are no different than the standard 2 ply toilet paper. There has to be a standard. We need a baseline to measure perfomance.

Whether it is doing business or trading, if you use a standard approach, you'll get standard results. I on the other hand, like to wipe my ass with 5 ply toilet paper.

Lol. I just had to jump in here. You really left yourself open here. In trading terms. You must have big poops (drawdowns) to need 5 ply. Also 5 ply must be expensive for a business (commissions?) or (big stop losses).

I mean no disrespect. Just being funny. I 100% get your point about testing with and without a stoploss. I believe I understand why as well. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You have to test without a stop loss as if your strategy gets an 44 percent win rate WITHOUT the stoploss how do you expect it to work with one.

On the other hand if you get a 80% winrate without a stoploss then you obviously have a profitable system. Then you add a catastrophic stop loss for emergencies.

I agree with you up to and until it goes passed testing. I think its a good exercise like examining your MFE/MAE.

But on the other hand if it works for you thats ALL THAT MATTERS!

Cheers

Wikmar 
Madrid - Spain

Platform: Own (more or less)
Trading: S&P500, FDAX, €/$, CL, etc.
Thanks Given: 1,647
Thanks Received: 121

A thought:

The longer term the trades have, the higher the benefit / risk ratio should be, and vice versa.

There will be a trade length where the ratio will be 1/1, but this may be less.

For example; scalping, it seems logical to accept ratios less than one, as long as the reliability is high enough.

Another different thing is whether that relationship should be an operational objective or a measure of whether our operation is valid, whether it is worth it.

Home people force
https://wikmar.wordpress.com/

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

outlawx View Post
From what I seen from your post, I'll give you some of my insight. Starting from the beginning to the end. Trading futures especially NQ/RTY/ES/CL etc. Stop losses are strictly needed. A mental stop doesn't cut it, and especially since you have not tested this system on a LIVE account just a demo, they are two different ball games. Trading NQ without a stop loss especially with how volatile the markets are on a live account without much experience (sorry not trying to be mean just reality) is very dangerous. Now, we as retailers/majority of firms still cannot move Index prices in major ways. Looking at your 60-day backtest results, I would pick the stop loss one in a heart beat. Your Avg winning trade is $597 w/o Stop Loss, while your Avg losing trade is $2200 w/o Stop Loss. Your largest winning trade was $600 w/o Stop Loss and your largest losing trade was $6600 w/o Stop Loss. These are just some but very important red flags I noticed. Even tho you have more trades using a stop loss which makes it harder to compare to using no stop loss. Your avg winning trade was $595 with a stop loss. Your avg was $597 losing trade with a stop loss. Largest winning trade was $600 with a stop loss. Largest losing trade was $600 with a stop loss. Any average person looking at these two and comparing them can tell you trading with a stop loss is better. Using a stop loss gives you a base to your system, and then you work based around your stop loss. When I look at a trade placing my stop loss is the first thing I want to see, knowing where to place it defines the rest of the R/R makes me think is it worth it to take the trade or not. It will save you a TON of stress in the future to use stop losses. But if you can handle mental stops all the power to you.

I like your observation Outlawx. Looks like it would be the good start of a system starting with the latter, with stops, option.

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

WoodyFox View Post
With all do respect....

"I didn't say that an optimal ratio doesn't exist. I'm saying the question doesn't make any mathematical sense"

So he agrees it could exist, but does not understand it mathematically...isn't that the point of the exercise?

On a side note.
There is 2 things going on in the thread. Some best market RR ratio and the ideal of trading without a stop to get a best RR ratio.

I agree on the no stop and having dangerous MAE.

But a good mean reversion strategy that is found with out stops can be made more desirable with lower risk of high MAEs Especially when dealing in a market with higher IV. There are ways to do this. Not full fixes, but certainly tradeable fixes.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

"But a good mean reversion strategy that is found with out stops can be made more desirable with lower risk of high MAEs Especially when dealing in a market with higher IV. There are ways to do this. Not full fixes, but certainly tradeable fixes."

...ABSOLUTELY AGREE. This is the exception as it makes sense... in a mean reverting market.

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Big Mike View Post
@Madness, just wanted to say I like your avatar

Agree. I was (am) going to say the same.

Madness View Post
So, before you can understand my stop loss you have to understand the meaning of my thread. The whole point to my thread is to be able to test a strategy without being unskewed by stop-losses that are usually triggered by market makers running stops.

If you subscribe to the market makers trigger stops school of thought, that's easy to avoid. Don't use conventional stop AMOUNTS. I'm sure there are a lot of stops 5 ticks, and/or $1000 and $2000 above and below the daily opening price. Nobody is looking for a stop $789 below the open!

Madness View Post
There are 4 requirements I need to classify a strategy successful. These requirements are:
1) Your strategy has to give you a 90% or higher win rate. Meaning it reaches the price target.
2) Your trade only lasts at most a few minutes. (1 sec to 20 min)
3) It has to give you consistent backtesting results under normal market conditions for 60 days.

Reduce a 'few minutes' to 'seconds' or even 'micro-seconds' and you are High Frequency Trader. I gather that's a decent business to be in.

WoodyFox View Post
But a good mean reversion strategy that is found with out stops can be made more desirable with lower risk of high MAEs Especially when dealing in a market with higher IV. There are ways to do this. Not full fixes, but certainly tradeable fixes.

+1. Definitely holds true for me.

Sandpaddict View Post
AKA... the longer you trade the larger the chance you'll see a larger drawdown then ever before. (Think LTCM) I think they STILL claim it couldn't happen in many many lifetimes)

While I do agree with your point I think LTCM is a bad example. Firstly a large chunk of their losses were due to 'strategy creep' but their complete collapse was a result of Wall Street feeding upon one of their own.

Thanked by:

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

SMCJB View Post
While I do agree with your point I think LTCM is a bad example. Firstly a large chunk of their losses were due to 'strategy creep' but their complete collapse was a result of Wall Street feeding upon one of their own.

Agreed. That was a stretch. I think was trying to make a point but the point is ONLY that... the longer you trade the more likely you'll see a black swan event. And/or your largest drawdown.

Thanked by:

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,046
Thanks Received: 9,491

Hey @Sandpaddict

Yeah I can attest to the random entry theory. I used to do that to applicants that wanted to work on the trading desk.

You need both, entries and exits, to be really good over the long run. Maybe it could be said that the two items that are in your control are when you enter a trade and how much you will lose?
I say it often that risk is the number one consideration, meaning "first" thought and most vital.

Over your chosen time frame everything has a range to put in. What do I expect from this? Is it against trend or a reversal...then I'm out immediately if I'm wrong. Once I've achieved a reasonable piece of the anticipated range, do I want to press this trade and look one time frame up?

The fear/greed thing is something that most people get wrong, imo.

Let me know if you want more color.

-Dan

Silver Dragon 
Cincinnati Ohio
Legendary Master Data Manipulator

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TastyWorks / NT
Broker: TastyWorks /NT
Trading: FX, Stocks, Options
Thanks Given: 6,422
Thanks Received: 5,238

wldman View Post
Hey @Sandpaddict

Yeah I can attest to the random entry theory. I used to do that to applicants that wanted to work on the trading desk.

You need both, entries and exits, to be really good over the long run. Maybe it could be said that the two items that are in your control are when you enter a trade and how much you will lose?
I say it often that risk is the number one consideration, meaning "first" thought and most vital.

Over your chosen time frame everything has a range to put in. What do I expect from this? Is it against trend or a reversal...then I'm out immediately if I'm wrong. Once I've achieved a reasonable piece of the anticipated range, do I want to press this trade and look one time frame up?

The fear/greed thing is something that most people get wrong, imo.

Let me know if you want more color.

-Dan

@wldman

We could always use more color please!

BTW- Hope you start posting in your journal again. Invaluable information!

Robert

nosce te ipsum

You make your own opportunities in life.
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 23, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts