NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

New Computer Build

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Devil Man with 6 posts (14 thanks)
    2. looks_two vmodus with 6 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kirkvan with 5 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 josh with 4 posts (19 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 4.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Devil Man with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 hyperscalper with 2.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 26,400 views
    2. thumb_up 184 thanks given
    3. group 381 followers
    1. forum 110 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

New Computer Build

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

Curious who has built a trading specific desktop? I am looking at building one here in the next few months, maybe wait until black friday and load up then as I am in no rush.

For those of you who built these trading focused pc's any recommendations ?
I am not looking to spend thousands on a computer, I've have used an HP for the past few years and it works great, the only reason for an upgrade is because I am doing more and more with different platforms and at times it could be a little faster.

lets see some pics/recommendations

note: I do use three monitors 1 27" and 2 32"

if this should be in the battle stations thread then let me know

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks
 RADO 
Melbourne, Australia

Experience: Advanced
Platform: SC, TradingView
Broker: CQG/AMP, IB
Trading: SPI, EMD, CL, ZS
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 82

I've recently got a Dell XPS desktop (highest model) and I love it. I previously had a custom gaming PC which was super fast but also very unreliable and a pain in the ass if it ever needed repair. Dell also have a real good warranty (usually next day repair).

Custom builds don't seem to be as cheap as they use too and when there is a warranty issue it can become a nightmare. I've owned HP, Lenovo, Custom setups & Dell and find Dell to be the best for me.

The other option is a Laptop which has the benefit of having it's own UPS.

Anyway good luck with what ever you decide to get!

Thanked by:
 sienna 
Melbourne, Australia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage
Trading: Many
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 281
Thanks Received: 124

MiniP,

If you google these two companies, they have quite a bit of information on configuration possibilities for "trading computers".

Bluauracomputers (good info on parts and why they select what they do, for trading computers)
Orbitalcomputers (interesting for configuration options) .

I have not used either, but taken their info and researched for equivalent configuration options, closer to where I live.

all the best

Thanked by:
 DXB Trader 
Dubai UAE

Platform: Multicharts
Trading: ES/NQ/CL Futures + Big Cap Equities
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 6

Hi MiniP,

I'm going through a similar process as you so I can share some other resources I've found who make trading specific PCs:

https://www.multiplemonitors.co.uk/trading-computers/ - They're UK based from the looks of things but I'm sure international shipping could be arranged. Make sure you ask about voltage since that differs between US and UK as well as the plug pin configuration.

https://eztradingcomputers.net/desktop-trading-computers/ - Just discovered them so don't know much yet.

https://falcontradingsystems.com/trading-computers-systems.html - Look good but appear quite expensive.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/ - These are custom gaming PCs. Very powerful and well respected. Used by famous Twitch streamers like Dr Disrespect.

Hope this helps.

Thanked by:
Ozquant
Brisbane Queensland Australia

Thanks Given: 167
Thanks Received: 380

MiniP View Post
Curious who has built a trading specific desktop? I am looking at building one here in the next few months, maybe wait until black friday and load up then as I am in no rush.

For those of you who built these trading focused pc's any recommendations ?
I am not looking to spend thousands on a computer, I've have used an HP for the past few years and it works great, the only reason for an upgrade is because I am doing more and more with different platforms and at times it could be a little faster.

lets see some pics/recommendations

note: I do use three monitors 1 27" and 2 32"

if this should be in the battle stations thread then let me know

-P

Dont buy a Dell as another poster recs , case too small , CPU cooling fan too small therefore always going flatout under load ( noisey ) , Too much Dell bloatware and finally PSU not really big enough , Everything is a compromise to keep it " cheap " . Go the custom build

Thanked by:
tarzan2
San Jose CA

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 4

Buy dell business laptop used from amazon

Disable auto updates, auto shutoff

Install SplashTop

You can access from anywhere phone or other desk top

Get something with 16GB ram

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,774
Thanks Received: 18,195

@ MiniP

If you're interested in more detail for individual components, I can get my shopping list from when I built my two (identical) machines last year.

In short:
* NZXT micro ATX case (H400i, I think)
* Ryzen 2700X
* ROG motherboard
* Corsair water cooler (an H90 I think?)
* two SSDs - a 512GB, and a 2TB for video recording storage
* Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans
* GeForce RTX 2070 (by gigabyte)
* 32GB RAM

IMO this is the minimum spec for a high performance trading machine. With this I run 4 4k displays (LG 27UK600 or similar for all 4), and I can record 2 screens of 1080p @ 60fps, or 1 screen of 4k @ 60fps, with no noticeable performance hit to the trading software itself, thanks to the high powered GPU.

I would never, ever get less than 32GB of RAM on any computer these days, ever. There's just no reason to. And if I were shopping today, of course I'd be looking at the 3700X, as it's the same price as the 2700X was a year ago when I bought it.

If you only plan to run 1 or 2 screens, you can certainly downsize the GPU. But the bang for the buck on the CPU, good quality SSDs, a good mobo, and quality fans is hard to compromise on. I just can't see a reason to go with smaller size on the components than what I've listed there.

It's hard to get a perspective I'm sure, but the outer dimensions of the case are about 13" tall, 14.5" deep, and 8-9" wide. That's outer dimensions.. so, it doesn't take up a ton of space. I've tried a micro ITX case before, and they're tiny, but just impossible to get decent cooling so decided to go with the micro ATX.

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

thanks for all the suggestions!

I am personally not a big dell fan, used to use them at my previous job and had nothing but issues. That is one of the main reasons I am using an HP,
@josh

if you wouldn't mind sending/posting any additional info that would be great, I am doing more and more video with my trading and really like the idea of one hard drive to be solely for video .. idk why I didn't think of that.

Thanks

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,774
Thanks Received: 18,195

MiniP View Post
thanks for all the suggestions!

I am personally not a big dell fan, used to use them at my previous job and had nothing but issues. That is one of the main reasons I am using an HP,
@ josh

if you wouldn't mind sending/posting any additional info that would be great, I am doing more and more video with my trading and really like the idea of one hard drive to be solely for video .. idk why I didn't think of that.

Thanks

-P

When I go near the store I bought the parts from, I will ask for a receipt from last year (assuming they have it!) and that should have more specifics, and when I have that I will pass it along. I got the Noctua fans from amazon. If you haven't, you might consider reading up on their case fans, they have different profiles for different applications.

I tried an external video capture device at first, but 4k@60fps is out of the question for anything USB powered. So, I use OBS studio and have it use the GPU, and it just hums along without any effect. The goal when recording, to me, is for me to not know it's there. If I have to do anything at all to accommodate recording instead of focusing on trading, it's not worth it.

As an aside, I guess it goes without saying, but it's worth reiterating that a well built and set up machine will be close to zero-maintenance (occasionally vacuum out the dust filters) for years. But if you do not apply the thermal paste correctly, or if you buy cheap fans that do not cool well or are too loud, or if you leave the cables a mess inside and not well organized and connected, or any number of minor details, this can cause headaches.

Thanked by:
 planetkill 
New York City + NY/United States

Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 309

Counter to the popular opinion here, I think it's largely a waste of money for a beginner to spend a lot on a PC for trading. Just look at the recommended specs for your platform of choice.

I started trading on a old surface 3 tablet from 2013, and I connect a mini HDMI into it to support a 2nd 24 inch screen. Even with several indicators on NT, it runs fine. No crashes, no lag. With Sierra Charts, you can probably use an even crappier laptop and be perfectly fine.

Sure if you want to spend over 2k on a new machine, go for it. But if you're a beginner, there's no need to plan for the 2k+ algo trading machine. Upgrade if and when you need it.

If you want 3 screens on a budget, pick up a used surface tablet with 2x the recommended ram for your platform of choice, and also buy a surface hub that allows to connect an additional 2 monitors.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 30, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts