NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Max margin utilization at brokerage account

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one vmodus with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 planetkill with 3 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 2 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 planetkill with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 5,668 views
    2. thumb_up 38 thanks given
    3. group 197 followers
    1. forum 21 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Max margin utilization at brokerage account

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,384
Thanks Received: 10,206

SMCJB View Post
My account has gone negative equity three times this year. Next day wire in additional funds. No liquidations in the 11 years I have been with this broker.

I probably should have clarified, all 3 times was due to new positions with new margin requirements, and not because of large losses on existing positions.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks
 planetkill 
New York City + NY/United States

Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 309

I've come to the same conclusion.

Why give the broker so much interest free money? I'm sure they use it as float for their own purposes.

Maybe if some % of balance can be automatically held in a money market fund, but otherwise it seems to me to just be unnecessary counter party risk for 0 return. Talk about a bad risk reward trade off.
SMCJB View Post
Very different than most I suspect. For 2020 my brokerage account has averaged 74% margin utilization. My lowest utilization was 49.7%! These numbers in no way reflect the actual utilization of my trading capital though as much of it is not in my trading account.

Margin Call != Position Forcibly closed.

My account has gone negative equity three times this year. Next day wire in additional funds. No liquidations in the 11 years I have been with this broker.

The concept of Trading Capital vs Cash in Trading Account is actually very important. I once heard a CTA speak, and they said after being involved in multiple broker bankruptcies they only keep 25% of their trading capital in their trading account. Later on the same CTA went on to say their returns were X%. I could never confirm whether that was X% return on the account or on the trading capital!

Thanked by:

Nolaughingmatter 
San Francisco

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Thinkorswim
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 63
Thanks Received: 82

When I scalped stocks, I used all my leverage. I got a couple of margin calls that way but I don't hold anything for more than a few minutes. The calls went away. A long time ago when I didn't know how margin calls (or trading ) work, I got a few calls when I held things overnight. I never had a situation where I was liquidated.

Now I trade ES mostly and can only trade the number of contracts that reflect my account balance. At least that's how Ameritrade ThinkorSwim works.

Thanked by:
petergunz
Detroit, MI

Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 20

I got lucky and built my account to 700k from 84k despite 2 margin calls that I appreciated out of. Once I learned that I was stuck on a day 2 margin call, I decided to take profits on all day 1 margin calls. That works much better and helps me escape over leveraging.

But, after Monday night when I very easily could've lost all of it by a forced close out (luckily, the market swung back before I got below 100k and I ended up in the positive at the end of the day), I started avoiding this. The good news is that I'm often on the right side of the trade, but it could take 1-2 days for the trade to turn around. I'm 77% since I started in May. But, since I could take a few hits with mark-to-market, I'll lever up for the day, but will close out half of the position before settlement if I'm expecting a rally in my favor to continue. I usually make the best money on shorts though.

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

SMCJB View Post
I probably should have clarified, all 3 times was due to new positions with new margin requirements, and not because of large losses on existing positions.

I'm curious to know if a margin call affects your status with the broker.... i.e. do you get a black mark on your record?

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,351

vmodus View Post
I'm curious to know if a margin call affects your status with the broker.... i.e. do you get a black mark on your record?

I would think repeatedly being on the broker's risk screens would not be good - neither for you nor for the broker.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

vmodus View Post
Never had a margin call; never will.

1-20%. We never over-expose ourselves. I guess that makes us conservative, but we believe in not being over-leveraged.

I just realized that even my sim/practice/paper accounts I do not use a margin higher than 20%. Maybe that is just a good habit for me to have.

~vmodus

So now I need to change my answer. Since one of the accounts I trade is pretty small, right now I am using close to 90% of my margin on one of my accounts. It is still outside my comfort zone, but I am just taking advantage of a few opportunities I saw over the weekend.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
 planetkill 
New York City + NY/United States

Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 309

Probably depends on the size of your positions. Force closing a few contracts is almost no risk to the broker, and they get a nice fee for it. Force closing 100+ contracts in a very volatile market is more risky to the broker, and the flat liquidation fee may not be enough to offset their risk. In this case they may not want your repeat business if the risk is large enough.

For 1 contract traders, I think they like margin calls.
vmodus View Post

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,351

vmodus View Post
So now I need to change my answer. Since one of the accounts I trade is pretty small, right now I am using close to 90% of my margin on one of my accounts. It is still outside my comfort zone, but I am just taking advantage of a few opportunities I saw over the weekend.

I have a well known trader friend, and his approach was to use all margin, every day. At end of day, if he had a margin call, the broker would call, and my friend would exit his biggest losers. Sort of a forced way to maintain a "cut your losses" discipline.

I guess the broker was OK with it, probably because this guy generated a LOT of commissions...

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

planetkill View Post
Probably depends on the size of your positions. Force closing a few contracts is almost no risk to the broker, and they get a nice fee for it. Force closing 100+ contracts in a very volatile market is more risky to the broker, and the flat liquidation fee may not be enough to offset their risk. In this case they may not want your repeat business if the risk is large enough.

For 1 contract traders, I think they like margin calls.

Interesting perspective, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!

Last Updated on August 3, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts