NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Max margin utilization at brokerage account

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one vmodus with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 planetkill with 3 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 2 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 planetkill with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 5,688 views
    2. thumb_up 38 thanks given
    3. group 197 followers
    1. forum 21 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Max margin utilization at brokerage account

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

kevinkdog View Post
I have a well known trader friend, and his approach was to use all margin, every day. At end of day, if he had a margin call, the broker would call, and my friend would exit his biggest losers. Sort of a forced way to maintain a "cut your losses" discipline.

I guess the broker was OK with it, probably because this guy generated a LOT of commissions...

That is kind of a brilliant approach, if you can get away with it. I recall what @SMCJB wrote earlier in this thread about your trading cash not being all of your trading capital. Wise words and we are fortunate enough to be in that position.

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
About a successful futures trader who didnĀ“t know anyth …
Psychology and Money Management

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

vmodus View Post
I'm curious to know if a margin call affects your status with the broker.... i.e. do you get a black mark on your record?

That's a good question.

I think it depends a lot on both the Broker and how you handle it. Some brokers are just going to immediately liquidate you - especially brokers that specialize in 'retail' clients. Interactive Brokers is notorious for doing this. If you handle it efficiently and always have the extra capital deposited on time I think it can actually be a good thing, as the broker becomes more comfortable that you know what you are doing and have the funds to cover it. I definitely think that's what happened in my case. I actually know I'm going to be margin deficient before my broker does (remember my margin deficiency has always been due to new positions, not from trading losses) so I email my brokers risk department, tell them I believe I will be deficient tonight, and tell them I will be wiring money the next morning. This is all before their own systems know it! But as @planetkill and @kevinkdog said, repeatedly being on the brokers risk screens, especially if your margin calls are from trading losses, or taking too much risk for your account, will get you a black mark, especially if you account is large enough to do the broker some damage. Where this could be important is when you request risk limit increases or to trade new products. If they are confident you know what you are doing those things should be formalities. If on the other hand you have a long list of 'Black Marks' they may not be so quick to approve you request.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on August 3, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts