NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Max margin utilization at brokerage account

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one vmodus with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 planetkill with 3 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 2 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 planetkill with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 5,559 views
    2. thumb_up 38 thanks given
    3. group 197 followers
    1. forum 21 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Max margin utilization at brokerage account

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,536

Hi guys,

New poll idea.

Max margin utilization at brokerage account (and did you receive a margin call?)

Total votes: 440

What was your maximum margin utilization at your brokerage over the last few months?

I also added an option to indicate whether or not you received a margin call (had a position forcibly closed by the brokerage).

For example, if your brokerage account has 100k and your biggest margin requirement for a trade is 25k during recent history, then you are only using 25% of your available margin.

The idea behind the thread is to look at how people fund their brokerage accounts vs how they use them. Are they maxing out their margin?

Please answer and share your thoughts.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

Never had a margin call; never will.

1-20%. We never over-expose ourselves. I guess that makes us conservative, but we believe in not being over-leveraged.

I just realized that even my sim/practice/paper accounts I do not use a margin higher than 20%. Maybe that is just a good habit for me to have.

~vmodus

~vmodus

Enjoy everything!
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Brandenton 
Virginia Beach, VA
Legendary Lost At Sea!!

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TopStep
Trading: YM, MYM
Thanks Given: 754
Thanks Received: 1,556

Oh boy, have I ever maxed out my margin! When I first started down the road of day trading, I was way under capitalized swinging for the fences. I voted for the 80-100% because on a few occasions I was funding my trading account with $1000 and day trading margin was $500. Silly for me to think I could get rich with $1000. Needless to say, things just didn't work out for me and for the most part blew the account. I don't recall a trade getting liquidated because of a margin call specifically. However I do remember on more that one, two, three, four....occasions trying to place a trade and not having enough margin because I basically blew the account. So without the facts, 80-100%.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 msemryck 
Denver, CO

Platform: Bookmap
Broker: AMP, Rithmic
Trading: GC, ES
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 111

My thoughts on margin are probably much different then most people. If you want to buy 4 ES contracts you need about $2000 in your account. If you have 100k in your account then that's only 2% margin. What's the difference if you have 100k in your savings account and just leave 2k in your trading account. Of course, you might get the margin call and might have to deposit more funds, but besides that, what's the difference? I'm not a newbie trader. Been doing this for a long time now, i just don't post much

Matt

Thanked by:
 omttrdr 
London and UK

Platform: Sierra Chart, MT4
Broker: Infinity
Trading: Forex, NQ, CL, FDAX
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 6

Always best to have a specific stop loss based on swing highs and swing lows and then to risk no more than 2-3% per trade regardless of the margin provided by the broker. This is critical to longevity in this game.

TraderMich 
Copenhagen + Denmark

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Broker: Trade Future 4 Less. Data Feed/Order routing: CQG
Trading: DAX; ES; Bund Futures
Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 57

I trade the ES mini - My rule is 1 Mini ES per every 10.000,- USD in my account.

Stop Loss is between 1-2 % of my account.

Thanked by:
 travelbrit 
Nantwich Cheshire, UK

Platform: NT8, TView,MT4
Trading: Daytrade Futures, Swing Stocks, crypto and forex
Thanks Given: 36
Thanks Received: 10

Too me, it is not the amount of margin you use (I have accounts ranging from 1:30 to 1:800 leverage). It is the amount you risk on your stop loss is what needs to be a low percentage of your total capital (0.5 to 2%).

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 planetkill 
New York City + NY/United States

Thanks Given: 107
Thanks Received: 293

In the past I've had well funded accounts, but found it enabled bad behavior because there was a large account balance to fix it tomorrow.

I've restarted my journey with 2k. The pressure fuels me to trade better. I trade 1 es, and know where my stop losses are so not going to get margin called. Last month I dropped down to $500, and topped off the account with another 1.5k to start July with 2k again. So far July is going very well, and I've withdrawn 2k already to cover last months deposit and fees.

Trading this way functionally for me is the same as keeping a large balance but only risking 1% per trade. But if I go on tilt, my losses are capped.

Also if there's ever a problem with the broker, I'm not holding 100k with them. Why give the broker all this interest free money to use for their own gains?

BackCash41 

For me risk management is the most important for a trader. I think we are talking about brokerage trading margins account for the long term. Because I have less experience in trading I don't pick a higher margins brokerage provider. That would encouraged me to take more risk in position size per trade. I like brokers that provide dynamic temporary margins during the current risk on/risk off market condition. So I can adjust my own trading risk to the market risk.
About risk% of a trading in relative to trading account is totally different. It is depended on what type of trading instruments, strategy types of trade, and time during the day of trading. I must define, configure, and select before get in to a trade. The risk% is vary on each trade.

travelbrit View Post
Too me, it is not the amount of margin you use (I have accounts ranging from 1:30 to 1:800 leverage). It is the amount you risk on your stop loss is what needs to be a low percentage of your total capital (0.5 to 2%).

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Big Mike View Post
What was your maximum margin utilization at your brokerage over the last few months?

Very different than most I suspect. For 2020 my brokerage account has averaged 74% margin utilization. My lowest utilization was 49.7%! These numbers in no way reflect the actual utilization of my trading capital though as much of it is not in my trading account.

Big Mike View Post
I also added an option to indicate whether or not you received a margin call (had a position forcibly closed by the brokerage).

Margin Call != Position Forcibly closed.

My account has gone negative equity three times this year. Next day wire in additional funds. No liquidations in the 11 years I have been with this broker.

The concept of Trading Capital vs Cash in Trading Account is actually very important. I once heard a CTA speak, and they said after being involved in multiple broker bankruptcies they only keep 25% of their trading capital in their trading account. Later on the same CTA went on to say their returns were X%. I could never confirm whether that was X% return on the account or on the trading capital!

Last Updated on August 3, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts