NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Do you trade on Sundays?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Nolaughingmatter with 5 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two rdm3rd with 2 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 AlDon with 2 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 1 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one nomadFX with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 rdm3rd with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Nolaughingmatter with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,610 views
    2. thumb_up 41 thanks given
    3. group 153 followers
    1. forum 24 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Do you trade on Sundays?

Nolaughingmatter 
San Francisco

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Thinkorswim
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 63
Thanks Received: 82

Didn't Hunter S. Thompson shoot himself in the head? Is that your metaphor for trading on Sundays?

Of course, the more I trade the more I realize that trading less is better mentally, emotionally, and physically. So Sundays are out.

Thanks for all your input.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
 joe s 
sacramento ca us

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader,Trade Station
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 105

bummer

Thanked by:
ePing
Hayden + Idaho/USA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 4

Yes I trade my algo strategy Sunday. I visit my few parameters on Saturday for the upcoming week and launch it live just before the Sunday open ... and it runs hands off until the Friday close. I have a small account and only trade the Micro eMini NQ ... on an M15 chart. My aglo does its best during the day session higher volume trading hours m-f ... but does hit good trades during the low volume times. My account is small ... but hoping it continues to grow ...

Thanked by:
GrizzX
Las Vegas

Thanks Given: 31
Thanks Received: 4

I don't trade on Sunday. I really enjoy having 2 days off on the weekend to clear my head from trading and evaluate what I did right and wrong over the weekend so I am better prepared for a new week.

Thanked by:
Climax
london

Thanks Received: 1

It is a bad habit of mine i think, i trade us session and usually by 11pm gmt I am not in a trading frame of mind, the low volatility would also steer me into holding trades good or bad. I prefer to enjoy the weekend and trade on Monday. I have started Monday with positive p&l from trading on Sunday, but i have also started with a negative p&l, which is a crappy start to the week.

if you can, enjoy your weekend trade early morning for low volatility i find 4-7am gmt time is low for es somedays unless you get a flash news report.

Thanked by:
lewac
West Palm Beach FL/USA

Thanks Received: 3

well that would mean an INTERDAY trade.. that's NOT gonna happen anywhere around here! for one I'm trading at 1% risk. well it happens that at the open pricing could easily go against me far exceeding that value (and there's NOTHING I can do about it). no thanks.

Thanked by:
sandtrading
los angeles, California

Thanks Received: 9

I typically do not trade on sundays as most of the volume action (which happens in USA) is not in mood but keeping an eye on the action especially if any news over weekend/Asia markets makes more sense.

Nolaughingmatter View Post
I did a search for this but could not find relevant threads.

I am wondering whether it's worth it to trade ES Sundays.

On Paper trading, I found the low volume to be easier to trade in some ways. I might have to hold a trade for 1-2 hours but it's less volatile.

My win/loss ratio isn't that great, so there is 50% chance that the trade will be a loss. It may be better to limit trading to weekdays.

I'm on the Pacific time zone currently. I wonder how beneficial it would be to coordinate with Nikkei, Hang Seng, etc. opening hours.

I would love to hear your experiences regarding trading on Sundays. Thanks!

AlDon 
Melbourne Victoria/Australia

Experience: Advanced
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 9

Living in Australia, this is something I've tried to do for many years in a lot of markets. ( Sunday night = Monday morning here ).

It's the perfect time for stop hunting/hunt/kill stuff IMO.

You'll often get a good session. ( Just enough to make you think it's worth it. haha ) And some times some big jolts and trends can begin.

But overall I've concluded that you can waste a lot of time waiting around watching drip feed liquidity and wishing you had rested and done something else with your time.

EDIT: Sorry old thread that was woken up by spam, apparently. Thought it was a current one.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

AlDon View Post
Living in Australia, this is something I've tried to do for many years in a lot of markets. ( Sunday night = Monday morning here ).

It's the perfect time for stop hunting/hunt/kill stuff IMO.

You'll often get a good session. ( Just enough to make you think it's worth it. haha ) And some times some big jolts and trends can begin.

But overall I've concluded that you can waste a lot of time waiting around watching drip feed liquidity and wishing you had rested and done something else with your time.

EDIT: Sorry old thread that was woken up by spam, apparently. Thought it was a current one.

Yeah, it was just spam. But "off hour" trading (in terms of NY stock exchange-related trading outside of NY stock exchange hours) can be very interesting.

I have never looked much at Sunday hour trading (in US terms, again), but the European session -- during normal European business hours, which are around 3:00 AM or so in New York terms -- can be rewarding. Many important trends, or at least large "overnight" moves, start then. Anyone who only looks at "RTH" hours on a chart might want to see what is happening earlier. The big moves in the European session are often why there are gaps on the RTH charts.

Trading it is another matter.

I tried to make use of that potentially valuable time period once, but it meant getting up before 2:00 or so in the morning, NY Eastern Time, every morning, and it pretty well wrecked me. I couldn't trade because I couldn't see straight. Also, the low volume pace is a very different thing to get used to. I imagine that Sunday hours are worse in that way.

Too bad we have to sleep, and have our daily routines in synch with other people, and have those other distracting circadian things going on, but we do.

Bob.

--------------

Edit: well, this is not entirely on-topic regarding Sunday trading, but it is if you expand the scope to include anything outside of RTH. The "regular" trading hours for NY are the most active ones, but not the only ones, after all.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,171
Thanks Received: 6,018

bobwest View Post
...during normal European business hours, which are around 3:00 AM or so in New York terms -- can be rewarding. Many important trends, or at least large "overnight" moves, start then...

Trading it is another matter.

I tried to make use of that potentially valuable time period once, but it meant getting up before 2:00 or so in the morning, NY Eastern Time, every morning, and it pretty well wrecked me. I couldn't trade because I couldn't see straight. Also, the low volume pace is a very different thing to get used to. I imagine that Sunday hours are worse in that way.

Too bad we have to sleep, and have our daily routines in synch with other people, and have those other distracting circadian things going on, but we do.

Bob.

@kevinkdog have you ever created systems around this period of time to try to capture the London open breakout or similar concepts? If yes, what was your conclusion? Is it something worth pursuing for people living in the Eastern time zone (New York time) ?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 26, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts