NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What VPC configuration/specification do you use for TS?

Discussion in TradeStation

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one vmodus with 25 posts (33 thanks)
    2. looks_two Prophet85 with 10 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 8 posts (17 thanks)
    4. looks_4 planetkill with 4 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two addchild with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 vmodus with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Prophet85 with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 17,402 views
    2. thumb_up 77 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 53 posts
    2. attach_file 15 attachments

Search this Thread

What VPC configuration/specification do you use for TS?

Prophet85
Gothenburg Sweden

Thanks Given: 53
Thanks Received: 24

Hi,

So recently I have been looking into changing from a traditional VPS to a cloud service like Azure or AWS. However it seems like a jungle compared to choosing a regular VPS where the pricing structure is more straight forward.

I'm making this post to ask what specifications and configurations other people use. It would help me and I'm sure also others to see what other people use. I want to run TS but people who run other trading softwares on a VPC probably have something smart to say.

I would also be interested in knowing what pricing structure you have, how many hours per month or week you have the service running and how many strategies you run simultaneously.

Edit: if you can mention what your monthly costs is with your current configuration that would be greatly appreciated so it's easier to compare with a traditional VPS.

Best regards

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
My NQ Trading Journal
21 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
20 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
17 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
13 thanks
Daytrading ES & NQ
9 thanks

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

Prophet85 View Post
Hi,

So recently I have been looking into changing from a traditional VPS to a cloud service like Azure or AWS. However it seems like a jungle compared to choosing a regular VPS where the pricing structure is more straight forward.

I'm making this post to ask what specifications and configurations other people use. It would help me and I'm sure also others to see what other people use. I want to run TS but people who run other trading softwares on a VPC probably have something smart to say.

I would also be interested in knowing what pricing structure you have, how many hours per month or week you have the service running and how many strategies you run simultaneously.

Edit: if you can mention what your monthly costs is with your current configuration that would be greatly appreciated so it's easier to compare with a traditional VPS.

Best regards

I have been working on this for a while. I think (correct me if I am wrong) VPC and VPS are synonymous, it just depends how you are using it. They are all just virtual machines (VM's), running whatever O/S you need to run. For instance, I have a shared VPS that I run my web properties and email server on, but it is Linux.

Here is one VM that I spec'd last week, Windows 10:

• B4MS Instance (whatever that means....instance means something else to me)
  • Choose your location (US East, Midwest, etc.)
  • 4 cores
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 32 GB Temporary Storage
  • ~ US$168/month pay as you go; $66.57 for 3 year prepay
  • 99.95% uptime (per SLA, or Service Level Agreement), that is less than 46 minutes of downtime per month
It is cheaper if you bring your own license, in the long term ($11.68 per month to lease the license, no long term discount). This system might be overkill or just right, as I would only use for running strategies (TradeStation 10) and no optimizations and minimal indicators.

This will probably by my starting point. I will set one up next week (it is a very fast process, 5 minutes or so) and test those specs.

~vmodus

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 addchild 
Bay Area California

Experience: None
Platform: TT T4
Broker: Phillip Capital
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 926
Thanks Received: 898

vmodus View Post
I have been working on this for a while. I think (correct me if I am wrong) VPC and VPS are synonymous, it just depends how you are using it. They are all just virtual machines (VM's), running whatever O/S you need to run. For instance, I have a shared VPS that I run my web properties and email server on, but it is Linux.

• 4 cores
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 99.95% uptime (per SLA, or Service Level Agreement), that is less than 46 minutes of downtime per month
It is cheaper if you bring your own license, in the long term ($11.68 per month to lease the license, no long term discount). This system might be overkill or just right, as I would only use for running strategies (TradeStation 10) and no optimizations and minimal indicators.

This will probably by my starting point. I will set one up next week (it is a very fast process, 5 minutes or so) and test those specs.

~vmodus

For what its worth, you can get a small dedicated server with similar specs closer to the tradestation servers (im guessing 350 cermak), for about the same monthly cost (~$70ish) without having to prepay for 3 years. I use one of these as a backup server should my main trading server fail.

Also if you self install your OS you can run win10 pro for free, so long as you are ok with the watermark in the lower right, running unactivated is only locks out the desktop customization features.

Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

addchild View Post
For what its worth, you can get a small dedicated server with similar specs closer to the tradestation servers (im guessing 350 cermak), for about the same monthly cost (~$70ish) without having to prepay for 3 years. I use one of these as a backup server should my main trading server fail.

Also if you self install your OS you can run win10 pro for free, so long as you are ok with the watermark in the lower right, running unactivated is only locks out the desktop customization features.

Windows licenses are cheap enough, no reason for us to not to pay for them. It is just a cost of doing business to us. On Azure, you have to have an activated license anyhow.

We did some analysis last year and found Azure cheaper in the long run than equivalent AWS. What VPS service are you using? I'd like to check them out.

~vmodus

addchild 
Bay Area California

Experience: None
Platform: TT T4
Broker: Phillip Capital
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 926
Thanks Received: 898

vmodus View Post
Windows licenses are cheap enough, no reason for us to not to pay for them. It is just a cost of doing business to us. On Azure, you have to have an activated license anyhow.

We did some analysis last year and found Azure cheaper in the long run than equivalent AWS. What VPS service are you using? I'd like to check them out.

~vmodus

https://dedicated.com/index.php

Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Thanks, they have very competitive pricing.

~vmodus

Prophet85
Gothenburg Sweden

vmodus View Post

• 4 cores
  • 16 GB RAM

~vmodus

No you are absolutely right that they are more or less synonymous. VPC obviously has some benefits such as better up time as it doesn't really need to rely on a single server center were the servers are located.

What confuses me is that VPC services have so many different pricing models and different versions of virtual machines and CPUs that are good for different things. AWS for example has EC2 instance (and as you mentioned it's not clear for me what an instance means) have different things to choose from like a1.xlarge, c5.large and so on.

This is all a bit confusing to me so that's why I wanted the input of others on what specifications they use. Also price wise it seems much more expensive (although that's relative I guess) than getting a VPS or even a dedicated server. I for example am paying 22 dollars monthly (without any minimum contract time) for a 6 vCPU and 16 GB ram VPS and there is no way that I can get that price even with a 2 vCPU configuration from any of the VPC providers.

So this is the reason I am asking because maybe I am missing something.

Prophet85
Gothenburg Sweden

addchild View Post

Yeah as I mentioned in another reply I think the cost of a VPC is quite high when you can get a dedicated server or a VPS from a reputable provider with better specs but for cheaper. Or maybe I am missing something...

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Just an update on my VM (virtual machine) situation. I looked at dedicated.com against Microsoft's Azure service and decided on Azure for a few reasons:
  • Native Disk Encryption (SSE) with optional Azure Disk Encryption
  • Easy Deployment
  • Security
  • Ease of use
This is not to say that dedicated.com does not offer the same, but I would have to implement a lot of this on my own. I don't want to spend a lot of time administering a server, in particular the security end of it. Since we are dealing with our actual trading account, a big thing for us is security: can I secure our connection to the virtual machine end-to-end?

So I setup the virtual machine on Azure, as we already have an existing MS business account. They say it takes five minutes, but it took me about 30, just so I could understand what I was doing. If I hose something, I can just delete the VM and create a new one. Or I can create templates and deploy multiple VMs.

One thing that is good is that they offer the VM's for free, to start (they say 12 months, but I think it is an actual $ credit..... $200 I believe). This will allow us to test the VM for a while and see if the solution works for us, or if we need more CPU, memory, etc. If it works and is reliable, then we will stick with it.

VM Monitoring Dashboard

Here is the product I am running: Standard D2s v3 (2 vcpus, 8 GiB memory)

I did a ping from my VM to cmegroup.com: 8ms average. A ping from my office averages 55ms. I was not able to ping TS servers, for whatever reason. The VM is located in the US Central region (Wisconsin?).

Anyhow, I have TradeStation up and running on the VM in sim mode. Everything is working fine so far. We will continue to let it run and I'll let you all know how it goes.

~vmodus

Thanked by:
Prophet85
Gothenburg Sweden

vmodus View Post
Just an update on my VM (virtual machine) situation. I looked at dedicated.com against Microsoft's Azure service and decided on Azure for a few reasons:
  • Native Disk Encryption (SSE) with optional Azure Disk Encryption
  • Easy Deployment
  • Security
  • Ease of use
This is not to say that dedicated.com does not offer the same, but I would have to implement a lot of this on my own. I don't want to spend a lot of time administering a server, in particular the security end of it. Since we are dealing with our actual trading account, a big thing for us is security: can I secure our connection to the virtual machine end-to-end?

So I setup the virtual machine on Azure, as we already have an existing MS business account. They say it takes five minutes, but it took me about 30, just so I could understand what I was doing. If I hose something, I can just delete the VM and create a new one. Or I can create templates and deploy multiple VMs.

One thing that is good is that they offer the VM's for free, to start (they say 12 months, but I think it is an actual $ credit..... $200 I believe). This will allow us to test the VM for a while and see if the solution works for us, or if we need more CPU, memory, etc. If it works and is reliable, then we will stick with it.

VM Monitoring Dashboard

Here is the product I am running: Standard D2s v3 (2 vcpus, 8 GiB memory)

I did a ping from my VM to cmegroup.com: 8ms average. A ping from my office averages 55ms. I was not able to ping TS servers, for whatever reason. The VM is located in the US Central region (Wisconsin?).

Anyhow, I have TradeStation up and running on the VM in sim mode. Everything is working fine so far. We will continue to let it run and I'll let you all know how it goes.

~vmodus

That sounds great! Please let me know how it goes.

Also how many strategies do you run simultaneously? I'm worried 2 vCPUs won't really be enough for me but ofcourse it depends on the CPU.

Last Updated on July 23, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts