NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What's the best online method to Wire Transfer to INTERACTIVE BROKERS?

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mrburns with 12 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two Etisan with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Miesto with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 matthew28 with 3 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two mrburns with 0.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Miesto with 0.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 matthew28 with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,196 views
    2. thumb_up 9 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 25 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

What's the best online method to Wire Transfer to INTERACTIVE BROKERS?

Etisan
London UK

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 23

mrburns View Post
So what? What does that should prove?

1. TW means TransferWise, I'm not sure what charting package you are talking about
2. My USD bank accound is legaly held in US Bank - meaning the bank in The United State of America
3. My brokerage account is legaly held by IBKR UK entity, as per what you've highlighted on your screenshot
4. Money transfers are being wired to common IB funding accounts depending which currency one needs to wire and from which bank account jurisdiction. Hence when I needed to use my US savings account I've been using ACH transfers, it's being then wired between mine US account and IBKR's US account.
If I was wiring EUR I've been using SEPA, if I was wiring CZK I've been using direct bank transfer available between my local bank I have account with and IBKR account held by other local bank in my home country.

What exactly is not true or is not clear?

I regularly use Transferwise to pay/receive several different currencies & conversions between my actual real physical bank accounts around the world. I think its a great service. But..

Re 2. Just to clarify. As Transferwise say: "although your bank details are unique, they don't represent real bank accounts, but simply "addresses" for your electronic money account"
(Your US$ is actually held under the Transferwise account at Wells Fargo & your balance(s) are just a digital representation of what Transferwise "owe you")

This is the same for any of the other currencies you can hold balances in. It can be very hard for non residents/citizens to open real physical bank accounts in certain countries & the Transferwise model of payments & accounts enables a user to use them "like a real bank account" (their words) when it actually isn't(which I think is great as far it goes). This is not just a subtle difference in that although Transferwise is regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority, your funds are not protected as deposits under the FSCS as they are in real bank accounts (up to £85,000).

Anyway, back to the original point of Transferwise >Interactive Brokers.

Q: After doing payment as per your screenshot. Do you then have to inform Interactive Brokers to expect money for Your Account? I can see how its possible to pay: the broker > the brokers account but am curious how you put (if you do) your own account details on the original payment...That's all.
EDIT: Disregard the above Q

I'll also be interested to know how things work for withdrawals. Brokers/Banks have to tread a very tight line to ensure funds go to right people in the right place without circumventing their own banking jurisdiction practices.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

mrburns 
Prague, Czechia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierrachart + Denali, TV
Broker: EdgeClear, IB
Trading: 6B, UB, ZN, CL, HG, GC
Thanks Given: 26
Thanks Received: 15

You are right, TW accounts are actually "virtual" accounts, I did not want to put useless complexity to this thread. Honestly I'm quite surprised that this one has got 22 answers....

Etisan View Post
I'll also be interested to know how things work for withdrawals. Brokers/Banks have to tread a very tight line to ensure funds go to right people in the right place without circumventing their own banking jurisdiction practices.

If you would have tried to use TW US account with IBKR you would have not been affraid of withdrawals. Guess why?

Etisan
London UK

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 23

mrburns View Post
If you would have tried to use TW US account with IBKR you would have not been affraid of withdrawals. Guess why?

mrburns View Post
RE: Have you withdrawn money using Transferwise?
Not yet from IBKR, but since I've been withdrawing e. g. from PayPal to TW US account with no issue so I'm not expecting any problem withdrawing from IBKR either.

"sigh".. I'd rather not play guessing games but as of yesterday you said you hadn't tried withdrawals which is why I wondered if there would be a problem. Thats all.

No need to reply. I'm done

Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 779
Thanks Received: 1,150

mrburns View Post
So what? What does that should prove?

1. TW means TransferWise, I'm not sure what charting package you are talking about
2. My USD bank accound is legaly held in US Bank - meaning the bank in The United State of America
3. My brokerage account is legaly held by IBKR UK entity, as per what you've highlighted on your screenshot
4. Money transfers are being wired to common IB funding accounts depending which currency one needs to wire and from which bank account jurisdiction. Hence when I needed to use my US savings account I've been using ACH transfers, it's being then wired between mine US account and IBKR's US account.
If I was wiring EUR I've been using SEPA, if I was wiring CZK I've been using direct bank transfer available between my local bank I have account with and IBKR account held by other local bank in my home country.

What exactly is not true or is not clear?

Thanks for clarifying. I had it all wrong but understand now. Sorry for the hassle.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

mrburns 
Prague, Czechia

Mich62 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I had it all wrong but understand now. Sorry for the hassle.

No worries, written communication can be sometimes confusing.

Thanked by:

mrburns 
Prague, Czechia

Etisan View Post
"sigh".. I'd rather not play guessing games but as of yesterday you said you hadn't tried withdrawals which is why I wondered if there would be a problem. Thats all.

No need to reply. I'm done

mrburns View Post
RE: Have you withdrawn money using Transferwise?
Not yet from IBKR, but since I've been withdrawing e. g. from PayPal to TW US account with no issue so I'm not expecting any problem withdrawing from IBKR either.

Try to link TW account with PayPal. If wiring from PayPal works, then all other options will work as well.
In addition to that the very first thing what IBKR did when I wanted to make ACH funding for the first time was they tried to deposit several cents to my TW account. If it would not work they would never allow me to deposit money from my TW account. If the account would not comply with regulations I doubt that my TW account would be credited by test deposit made by IBKR.

I'm thinking about writing an e-book about funding IBKR account since there seems to be lot of rumours and guesses about it.

Last Updated on July 29, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts