NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Micro account vs Funded account (combine)

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one arielalejandro with 20 posts (22 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 6 posts (20 thanks)
    3. looks_3 F10trades with 4 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Analytic with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one dyst with 4.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 3.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 F10trades with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 arielalejandro with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 20,135 views
    2. thumb_up 114 thanks given
    3. group 553 followers
    1. forum 67 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Micro account vs Funded account (combine)

arielalejandro
Córdoba

Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 28

Hola!
Thanks for replying. Yes I can see the pros and cons of both worlds. I do have a system that at least on the SIM worked, I made an excel to trace it so I realized that was enough and had to jump in live. Since I don't have 25k to open a big account I thought that a combined could be a good choise. And probably it was from the psycho point of view. I could "feel" the difference. I'm thinking my next move now. The trailing drawdown looks more like a trap to me than a real discipline measure, bit it's just my opinion. It's great you could be funded with them and I wish you the best!
dbouzas View Post
hey Ariel,

Thanks for posting. I see that your from Cordoba. That's awesome. I am from Buenos Aires and live in Houston, Texas. I have been trading for a little over 3 years, this past year exclusively. I have passed the TopstepTrader 50k account this year and I am very happy with my trading after going through their program. I started trading futures live on E-Micros M6E, M6B and MJY back when those were the only e-micros. I didn't have much money or a set of rules or even a trading plan back then. I think Bob is very accurate when he says that each account will solve different problems. Live trading has its technical and emotional learning curve. But it does you no good if you don't have rules, risk management, stats tracking or a trading plan.In a live account there is no one controlling you from killing your account. I believe that the greatest growth came from my trading combine. I was able to develop my set of rules and trading plan based on TopstepTrading's rules and the trading stats tracking. Having them monitor me makes me really think twice about any position I put on and eventually out of bad trades. The data avialable makes your after action report a breeze. You can really see how your trading is developing. So, I think having both accounts would be best. With the live account you can practice controlling your fear and work out the feel of managing positions emotionally and technically. In the combine you work on staying within your rules and guidelines. As a professional trader at a bank, hedge fund or other firm your gonna have rules that you have to follow no matter what. The trading combine is more realistic in that aspect even though its not "live." Your gonna come to find out that no one trades with their own money. Hope this helps you.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
arielalejandro
Córdoba

Yes I did that's why I decided to go live somehow, because I could see in my journal that I was profitable and consistent about 60% of the times on the SIM. Always using the same rules, stops, etc.
Captain135 View Post
Did you document your strategy performance of your paper trading? It's essential data. That would be your guide to knowing how big of a losing streak / drawdown you should normally expect, which will inform you whether or not you can realistically stay above the minimum drawdown rules for the different combines.

forestcall 
Tokushima, Japan

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Tradovate + Tradingview
Trading: Futures + Stocks
Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 106

@arielalejandro
Would you mind describing your strategy?
Also please explain your R/R with sell ticks and stop loss ticks.

Are you using NinjaTrader?

I noticed not to much talk about your strategy and trading style.

I used to be a pure scalper. Now days I hold for about 10-120 minutes so my exits are in alignment with strong volume for nice smooth and clean exits.

I’m going to mention something rather controversial and something that should only be used when you know the trend direction and when volume is strong, trading is strong with the trend you want to take profit.

The below method only works if you really think carefully about your entries and that your entries are based on clear data decisions. Otherwise this method is gambling and you will lose $100+ in a flash!

In NinjaTrader if you are using Micro accounts you only need 1.25 - 1.50 ticks to get profit (bare minimum). What I do sometimes when the trend line is very strong and I’m trying to earn $500+ a day is after a trade is open I click sell (even if I am several minutes from actually closing the trade) and the little pop-up opens and I keep my mouse over the sell button on the pop-up. I trade with 4-10 Micro contracts and I wait for 1.50+ minimum then click sell. I usually do this with 10-20 contracts when I am extremely confident that the volume is strong and trend is bullish. Also you must make sure your stop ticks are matching your account balance so your margin does not blow the account. I don’t do this with bearish trends simply because it reminds me of saying the alphabet backwards. Again only do this method when you are very confident with volume and trend. There are some good indicators that can give you strong insight into the data you need to trade like this. Other trading platforms don’t have this pop-up feature.

I keep wanting to preface that you need to really understand the chart and that the volume is strong and trending bullish and you have your support & resistance and moving averages are pointing in your favor and that you looked back several dozen bars or longer. Double check your account balance and margin.

I typically earn about 25% or more of my daily income doing this and I have had a single loss, out of like 10,000+ trades of this exact method. The closest I have had to a loss was just “0” ticks.

Keep in mind this style of trading is intense and you need to keep your eyes glued to the charts.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
arielalejandro
Córdoba

CannonTrading View Post
My colleague Roger Muri has assisted more than a few clients in similar position to you these past few months, he shared the following:

I feel your worries and they are absolutely justified. Therefore It would be smart to trade micros in the same way you would trade the large contracts.
Try to limit your trading to max a couple hours a day. When you start, analyze what kind of a day we are facing, is it volatile day or do we follow a certain trading range?!
With micros if you are trading the right direction you can reduce your drawdown and spread the orders out. Eventually take profit on one to cover cost and keep the second as a runner if you believe we might go further. Treat them as if you are trading the large contracts and learn as you go.

Yes I think I agree with you, that was the approach that I was usingon sim with E-minis with good results. With micros I can be more "relaxed" because the losses are smaller. One thing that scared me with the combine was the fact that with big contracts, any small correction even with 1 contract represented a -$300 move (taking into account the current volatility) With micros I think I can play better my strategies without going panic and start doing stupid things.

CannonTrading View Post
Trading on Demo will never be the same since emotions are not affecting you the same way.
I found that a lot of traders that combine their trading with spreads tend to reduce their risk and are able to trade the bigger picture of the market a bit better than the quick turn overs which can go both ways.
PM me if you like his contact info to continue the conversation.

Thanks a lot! I´ll keep you in mind if I decide to go into that direction

F10trades
Honolulu

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 9

What’s up dude. I will share my experience and thoughts as a trader who has traded a personally funded live account as well as my experience as a trader for Helios currently.
I think to begin you should ask yourself if you have a definitive plan/edge/setup that you’ve collected data on while you were paper trading on TOS. Your 3years paper trading/learning won’t mean much if you havent collected data, data with favorable outcomes that you really can lean on over a period of time. You should have clear planS on how to effectively manage risk, how to effectively manage your trades, how to log and evaluate trades (important as markets changes and you have to be quick to adapt or at least notice when your edge is blunted), and how to manage your psychological aspect of trading. Sounds a bit excessive but let’s be real this is YOUR BUSINESS, and this is important regardless if you trade for yourself or for Helios. If you have CLEAR direction in your trading, you will feel less of the “uncertainty” that you are feeling that is preventing you from going live.
I passed the 25k MG in 15 days trading 1-5contracts of the MNQ with 4,320 in profits, so it’s possible to pass using the micro contracts in a reasonable amount of time. You SHOULD NOT be trading regular emini on a 2k account. I can almost guarantee that if you do you will fail your MG. You just won’t have enough breathing room to make reasonable trades.
Not with That out of that out of the way let’s get real. How much money would actually drop on you account 1k? 2k $500? Do you think you can effective manage that money? If you start a mini gauntlet 50k at 170 a month, let’s say for 2months that 340 dollars. Being that you trade the Es/Mes that’s 6.8pts on the ES and 68pts on 1 MES contract. You could blow through that in a week or 15mins if you trade ES and didn’t manage your trade properly. So realistically if you are profitable in your paper trades and you have CLEAR direction in your trading process, and you have some money to blow the go for it. I’m a huge advocate of “funding programs” because they offer the chance to minimize the risk of losing money and it gives you a bit of psychological pressure having to paying for gauntlet or combines. One HUGE plus is having an active risk manager on you EVERYTIME you step in the markets. Sound like a burden but every real trader that trades live will till you that managing risk, stay discipline over time, and staying on track becomes a challenge over time. With these programs they force you to be disciplined and methodical if not you get booted. Being that ypu are a developing trader, you may need that. For me I look at it as paying 20% for an active risk manager which I gladly pay.
At this point I’m probably ranting a rambling. If you have clear edge, know exactly what you are doing, have a sizable chunk of capital then skip the prop firms and trade for yourself. If you are developing, don’t have clear direction, Don’t have a lot of capital, want trading coaches and someone forcing you to be a professional through risk management then try out for a firm through these funding programs. Everyone will rant and cry about how it’s rigged so you fail, but don’t listen to them. Let’s be honest if we can’t reach those metrics (be profitable for longer than 15days, make more than you lose, and be able to apply risk management, then should we really be risking live capital?
Just my two cents and experience from both trading my money and trading for Helios.

datahogg 
Knoxville Tennessee USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS
Trading: ES, NQ, CL, /6E futures options.
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 154

arielalejandro View Post
Hello everyone. First of all I think this thread should go in this forum, if not, please feel free to move it where it belongs, and also I´m not english native speaker, so sorry in advance for any mistake.
Here we go:
I was studying and practicing paper trading with the Thinkorswim platform for quite a long time now with real time data. I started to read about trading and markets probably almost 3 years ago, and when I started to do paper trading basically was a gambling, shooting at everything that moves. Needless to say the result of that so I kept reading but not "trading"
Time passed and started to do paper trading again with an action plan, stop and profit target, sizing, etc etc and with the determination to follow those rules to be as realistic as possible. Things started to do well and I started to be profitable (in the simulator, I know)
Also I read about the psicological effect of being live or not, so here I am now.
I´m in a mini gaunlet 50k combine, trading with only 1 ES contract to keep the losses in check, althou I can´t. Tried to execute as always, with the same parameters as I always did after 6 months of paper trading but I can feel the "fear" knowing that in the end there´s money in stake, even the monthly fee of the gaunlet. $-300 the first day, $-500 today. I don´t know how it will end but I can guess...

So, if I fail with the gaunlet, from your experience, wouldn´t be better to start with a micro account where a big movement in price doesn´t take too much of loss, since the MES only has $1.25 per tick and start from there and forget about earn money (I don´t have the rush to have 1 million in 2 days, I´m not that kind of guys) at least at first but at least get used to been live and at least cover the costs of the operations (fees, commisions and platform?)

On a side note, the reason of taking so much time to decide getting live somehow is because I really wanted to have a strategy that could work and I think I found it, because 6 months of paper trading with military discipline and annotating, each day the results, gave me the confidence to go with the gaunlet.

Sorry for the extension of the post but I wanted to be as clear as possible about the whole situation.
Thank you for you time.
Ariel.

I would be a good idea if you were to limit your losses per day to some smaller amount. After losing your loss amount take time to analyze your trades.

Thanked by:
 kirkvan 
Edmonds, WA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage/Dorman
Trading: CME Futures
Thanks Given: 86
Thanks Received: 23

It seems to me you might be getting close to profitability, Ariel.

Sometimes when we go live, we start with losses. If you trust in data that proves you have found an edge, and your trades were in line with your plan, than all you did was start with some losses. No big deal. There's nothing more normal than losses.

You can help your psychology when trading real money by risking only 1% (or less) or your account per trade. So, your question about trading micros only makes sense in the context of you account size. In the unlikely but possible event of starting out with, say, 7 losing trades, you would only lose 7% of your account, which is completely survivable.

Thanked by:
F10trades
Honolulu

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 9

arielalejandro View Post
You have a good argument Bob.
About using micros on the gaunlet, I can but I'm only limited to 2 contracts, so it will take forever to pass the test if I pass it, with the factor of a monthly fee that probably I can save it and open a micros account in AMP or Optimus or any other broker.
I agree with you about not being under capitalized with the micros because any price movement against me and I'm out.
In the meantime, since I already paid for it I'll keep trading the gaunlet as cautious as possible and as feelings detachment as possible. If I screw it up then I'll go for the micros account. So here's the question. What is your suggestion for the amount of money that should I have? Each micro has a margin of $40 and I'm not planning to trade more than 3 or 4. Again, I'm not planning to get rich with it, just to gain the confidence at first to trade live and hopefully cover the trading costs.
Thanks again.

If you are in the Mini gauntlet you can trade micros, 10 micro contracts= 1. Also email customer support and tell them you want live commission rates for micro contracts. They’ll give you cheaper commissions it’ll help you a little bit.

Thanked by:
arielalejandro
Córdoba

CannonTrading View Post
My colleague Roger Muri has assisted more than a few clients in similar position to you these past few months, he shared the following:

I feel your worries and they are absolutely justified. Therefore It would be smart to trade micros in the same way you would trade the large contracts.
Try to limit your trading to max a couple hours a day. When you start, analyze what kind of a day we are facing, is it volatile day or do we follow a certain trading range?!
With micros if you are trading the right direction you can reduce your drawdown and spread the orders out. Eventually take profit on one to cover cost and keep the second as a runner if you believe we might go further. Treat them as if you are trading the large contracts and learn as you go.

Trading on Demo will never be the same since emotions are not affecting you the same way.
I found that a lot of traders that combine their trading with spreads tend to reduce their risk and are able to trade the bigger picture of the market a bit better than the quick turn overs which can go both ways.
PM me if you like his contact info to continue the conversation.

dan1957 View Post
I guess I would ask what kind of parameters your trading uses. If it's a mechanical system, you will last a lot longer trading micro's before ultimately blowing up as market conditions cycle between manipulated accumulation/distribution and trend. If you are using for example a combination of things like correlated value, volume profile and the interest rate curve as a discretionary endeavor, you shouldn't need large stops and have a decent chance for success. Large and small accounts that trade with large stops ultimately fail in my experience- only an uncorrelated portfolio trading with large stops has a chance for success, and comes with a high psychological price tag. Best of luck to you.

Thanks Dan. What I trade is mostly ES (or MES) When I trade MES what is what I was trading these days I use the tape and chart from the ES to see it´s volume. I also use the $ADD and $TICK and have the Dow and Nasdaq to see also how are they performing. With all of that I was able to find something that works for me on the sim and after going thru a deep review of my combines trades I applied the same criteria but the fear came into play and made me do stupid things like don´t honor the stops, don´t wait the trend resumes, enter earlier that I supposed to do, etc. So in the end I have good trade ideas but totally messed up by psicological factors.

Thanked by:
arielalejandro
Córdoba

forestcall View Post
@arielalejandro
Would you mind describing your strategy?
Also please explain your R/R with sell ticks and stop loss ticks.

Are you using NinjaTrader?

I noticed not to much talk about your strategy and trading style.

I used to be a pure scalper. Now days I hold for about 10-120 minutes so my exits are in alignment with strong volume for nice smooth and clean exits.

I’m going to mention something rather controversial and something that should only be used when you know the trend direction and when volume is strong, trading is strong with the trend you want to take profit.

The below method only works if you really think carefully about your entries and that your entries are based on clear data decisions. Otherwise this method is gambling and you will lose $100+ in a flash!

In NinjaTrader if you are using Micro accounts you only need 1.25 - 1.50 ticks to get profit (bare minimum). What I do sometimes when the trend line is very strong and I’m trying to earn $500+ a day is after a trade is open I click sell (even if I am several minutes from actually closing the trade) and the little pop-up opens and I keep my mouse over the sell button on the pop-up. I trade with 4-10 Micro contracts and I wait for 1.50+ minimum then click sell. I usually do this with 10-20 contracts when I am extremely confident that the volume is strong and trend is bullish. Also you must make sure your stop ticks are matching your account balance so your margin does not blow the account. I don’t do this with bearish trends simply because it reminds me of saying the alphabet backwards. Again only do this method when you are very confident with volume and trend. There are some good indicators that can give you strong insight into the data you need to trade like this. Other trading platforms don’t have this pop-up feature.

I keep wanting to preface that you need to really understand the chart and that the volume is strong and trending bullish and you have your support & resistance and moving averages are pointing in your favor and that you looked back several dozen bars or longer. Double check your account balance and margin.

I typically earn about 25% or more of my daily income doing this and I have had a single loss, out of like 10,000+ trades of this exact method. The closest I have had to a loss was just “0” ticks.

Keep in mind this style of trading is intense and you need to keep your eyes glued to the charts.

About my trading style, I narrowed down to 2 basic movements. Swings that can last 20-30minutes, sometimes more depending on the day and quick scalps when for example the price is going parabolic I wait for the top (or bottom) and take 4/5 ticks with a quick scalp. That worked for me for almost 4/5 months on sim. The swings are made with no more than 2 contracts and the scalps with no more than 4.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 31, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts