NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is anyone actually making money?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one goodoboy with 53 posts (40 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 25 posts (95 thanks)
    3. looks_3 KyronC with 24 posts (61 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Joseph Connors with 19 posts (29 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 10.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Blash with 9.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 3.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 KyronC with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 112,906 views
    2. thumb_up 1,273 thanks given
    3. group 812 followers
    1. forum 398 posts
    2. attach_file 19 attachments

Search this Thread

Is anyone actually making money?

sequential
New York NY USA

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 1

Bubba1 View Post
There are many profitable consistent traders of stocks and futures. You just need to know where to find them. They are young, they work, and they are focused. You can find a few of them on Twitch. Yesterday, Matt, a funded $150k trader at Topstep was down $2900, took a break, and made $7,000 to finish up the day with profits over $4,000.

jtradezdays is another consistent trader. You see his trading live, you see his face and his focus.

I can lead you to many more but that should do for a start.

I just came across Matt and his YT channel yesterday evening. Do you know if any profitable traders who use Bookmap other than FT71 and have a room or live stream? Thank you for posting this information.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

Analytic View Post
The Hard Truth is that no one actually knows if any retail traders actually make money over the long term (5 or more years)

To actually know that a trader makes money consistently you need at least the following:

1) Two full sequential years of verified sequential daily broker statements/annual broker statements with very few gaps in trading days
(So you can see the year over year performance)
2) Summary Statistics: Expectancy, MAX DD, Net Profit/MAX DD, Average MFE/MAE
3) Additional years of verified daily broker statements/annual broker statements covering a wide variety of different volatility levels and different market regimes (including if available flash crash days, limit up/limit down days, market halt days).

*Important: all broker statements must be audited and signed by a regulated third party.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take the following below with 'a big grain of salt'

The generally accepted thinking is that about 95% retail traders lose money over the long term
If you look at just retail traders who trade without having a robust statistical trading process that number is 100%

Of the 5% who make money, about 80% trade mechanical systems and 20% do discretionary trading
Again no stats here just compiled what I've read, seen, and heard over the last 20 years.

All of the metrics you mentioned are useful, but for us it is simply end of year P/L. Our 1099-B's tells us if we are profitable. I know this seems like an oversimplification, but in my mind profitability is binary: you either are or you are not.

With respect to your comment on mechanical systems (we are algorithmic traders for 12+ years), I don't know if your numbers are accurate but I would love to find out. Unfortunately brokers cannot tell who is trading algorithmically versus discretionary, though many (all?) publish the percentages of retail and institutional traders who make money. I can tell you that as soon as we algo traders stick our fingers in the pie, we are discretionary, such as when we have to correct a bad entry. I know every algo trader has had to intervene manually at some point. I have known of some traders who have blown up accounts with their automated systems. Hopefully someone is able to commission and perform a study that can provide us with how many algo traders are profitable. Maybe when my pockets are deeper I will do that .

Okay, I went off rail there. Anyhow, I think the metrics you mention have a ton of value, but some are more important than others, depending upon what you trade (softs, metals, indexes, equities, options, wine*, etc.), how you trade (style), when you trade (timeframe), and why you trade (goals and expected outcomes). Profitability eventually comes down to: did I make money?

Anyhow, great comment, thanks for sharing!

~vmodus

* I have traded wine futures once upon a time, for real

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
goodoboy
Houston

Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 246

Meklon View Post
Here is your problem, right there. Everything you have described above. I guarantee you will loose money following this method. Stick to TREND strategies, eh? Did he also tell you when NOT to trade? Markets are NOT in trend mode 75% of the time, they are consolidating. Besides, everything he tells you to use are LAGGING indicators and in roughly 35-70% of the time you are too late for the move.

Meklon,

I kinda of disagree with you. It depends on the timeframe chart a trader is using. If I trader is using a 4 tick range chart, everyday the trader will get a trend to trade maybe once or twice a day. If a trader is using a 1 minute timeframe chart, the trader will get a trade once or twice a day. If a trader is using the 60 minute chart or 4 hour chart, then yes, i agree with you, there will not be a trend daily and trader has to wait for those setups.

There is nothing wrong with a trading trainer teaching trend strategies as long as the trainer informs the students, that a trend may not occur daily and it really dependent on time frame of chart.

There is nothing wrong with indicators if the indicators prove to make money over time, it helps the mental. Now I kinda of disagree with 10 indicators on the chart cause too much confusion.

IMO, it all depends on the style of trader and what he or she likes.

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 706
Thanks Received: 3,854

Big Mike View Post
Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

goodoboy View Post
Meklon,

I kinda of disagree with you. It depends on the timeframe chart a trader is using. If I trader is using a 4 tick range chart, everyday the trader will get a trend to trade maybe once or twice a day. If a trader is using a 1 minute timeframe chart, the trader will get a trade once or twice a day. If a trader is using the 60 minute chart or 4 hour chart, then yes, i agree with you, there will not be a trend daily and trader has to wait for those setups.

There is nothing wrong with a trading trainer teaching trend strategies as long as the trainer informs the students, that a trend may not occur daily and it really dependent on time frame of chart.

There is nothing wrong with indicators if the indicators prove to make money over time, it helps the mental. Now I kinda of disagree with 10 indicators on the chart cause too much confusion.

IMO, it all depends on the style of trader and what he or she likes.

Yeah, he ain't replying anytime soon...

--------------------------------------------------------
- Trade what you see. Invest in what you believe -
goodoboy
Houston

JonnyBoy View Post
Yeah, he ain't replying anytime soon...

Hello JonnyBoy,

May I please ask why Meklon post was removed? What happen?

Thanks

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 706
Thanks Received: 3,854

goodoboy View Post
Hello JonnyBoy,

Thanks

Read his posts above.

- Trade what you see. Invest in what you believe -
goodoboy
Houston

Bubba1 View Post
There are many profitable consistent traders of stocks and futures. You just need to know where to find them. They are young, they work, and they are focused. You can find a few of them on Twitch. Yesterday, Matt, a funded $150k trader at Topstep was down $2900, took a break, and made $7,000 to finish up the day with profits over $4,000.

jtradezdays is another consistent trader. You see his trading live, you see his face and his focus.

I can lead you to many more but that should do for a start.

Thank you Bubba1,

Can you please provide their twitch link of Matt and jtradezdays please?

Thank you sir

FuturesTrader71 

Thanks Given: 174
Thanks Received: 1,513

Bubba1 View Post
And, I just saw the post by FT71. He has some good things to say so read that closely. I remember many years ago he and I were banished together from a trade room that we were in. We moved over to another room with just us 2 in it. I was glad to see he moved on up to where he is now.

Dude...you are THAT Bubba...holy crap. That was like 15 years ago. Remember how much I used to call those other people out with their trades. Turns out they both got arrested for fraud or something. Every time I posted a live trade (and I did a lot of them back then as a scalper), they would make comments. Anyway, glad to see you here. 15 freaking years...wow I'm getting old.

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Blash 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Market Chamois

Experience: None
Platform: NT8,NT7,TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, S5T, IQFeed
Trading: The one I'm creating in the present....Index Futures mini/micro, ZF
Thanks Given: 7,341
Thanks Received: 4,518

Big Mike View Post
Moderator Notice
Moderator Notice

goodoboy View Post
Hello JonnyBoy,

Thanks

Big Mike said, "....for unwelcome rude behavior."

Trading is hard enough. Doesn't need to made harder still.

Report a post by clicking the little yellow octagon in the upper right corner of any post.

Ron

...My calamity is My providence, outwardly it is fire and vengeance, but inwardly it is light and mercy...
The steed of this Valley is pain; and if there be no pain this journey will never end.
Buy Low And Sell High (read left to right or right to left....lol)
Thanked by:

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

Blash View Post
Trading is hard enough. Doesn't need to made harder still.

Word.

~vmodus

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 20, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts