NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is anyone actually making money?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one goodoboy with 53 posts (40 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 25 posts (98 thanks)
    3. looks_3 KyronC with 24 posts (61 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Joseph Connors with 19 posts (29 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 10.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Blash with 9.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 3.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 KyronC with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 115,003 views
    2. thumb_up 1,294 thanks given
    3. group 812 followers
    1. forum 398 posts
    2. attach_file 19 attachments

Search this Thread

Is anyone actually making money?

Analytic 
New York NY/United States

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Multicharts, TS, TOS
Trading: Futures, Options, Stocks
Thanks Given: 73
Thanks Received: 223

vmodus View Post
All of the metrics you mentioned are useful, but for us it is simply end of year P/L. Our 1099-B's tells us if we are profitable. I know this seems like an oversimplification, but in my mind profitability is binary: you either are or you are not.

With respect to your comment on mechanical systems (we are algorithmic traders for 12+ years), I don't know if your numbers are accurate but I would love to find out. Unfortunately brokers cannot tell who is trading algorithmically versus discretionary, though many (all?) publish the percentages of retail and institutional traders who make money. I can tell you that as soon as we algo traders stick our fingers in the pie, we are discretionary, such as when we have to correct a bad entry. I know every algo trader has had to intervene manually at some point. I have known of some traders who have blown up accounts with their automated systems. Hopefully someone is able to commission and perform a study that can provide us with how many algo traders are profitable. Maybe when my pockets are deeper I will do that .

Okay, I went off rail there. Anyhow, I think the metrics you mention have a ton of value, but some are more important than others, depending upon what you trade (softs, metals, indexes, equities, options, wine*, etc.), how you trade (style), when you trade (timeframe), and why you trade (goals and expected outcomes). Profitability eventually comes down to: did I make money?

Anyhow, great comment, thanks for sharing!

~vmodus

* I have traded wine futures once upon a time, for real

I partially agree with you. Those metrics are not the best because they don't show the total risk. Risk (even partial risk) is hard to show because most (all?) systems won't track it. But annual tax statements are not enough because we are also trying to determine the statistical chance of long term profitability not just historical profitability. A trader can be very profitable for a few years and then blow up spectacularly because he never managed risk well. His historical risk adjusted returns will be poor.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
32 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
goodoboy
Houston

Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 246

Bubba1 View Post
Johnny Boy,

Matt does not moderate when he is in a trade as he is focused. You will see the trades show up and the P/L will show up his progress up and or down. He usually is around for the first few hours. He does not broadcast all day long.

Thank you Bubba1 for sharing with me someone who actually trades live real cash. I have always wondered is there any trader out there willing to show others what they are doing. To me it only makes sense to trade live and show your customers or viewers your trading if you selling them something.

Thank you

vmodus 
Somewhere, Delaware, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts
Broker: Barchart.com
Trading: Everything, it all tastes like chicken
Thanks Given: 2,958
Thanks Received: 2,853

Analytic View Post
I partially agree with you. Those metrics are not the best because they don't show the total risk. Risk (even partial risk) is hard to show because most (all?) systems won't track it. But annual tax statements are not enough because we are also trying to determine the statistical chance of long term profitability not just historical profitability. A trader can be very profitable for a few years and then blow up spectacularly because he never managed risk well. His historical risk adjusted returns will be poor.

Great point, thanks!

~vmodus

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Climax
london

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

I hope everyone can trade smart and make money during these bountiful times where the markets are alive and about to hear the sound of a crash

MY ONLY REASON FOR ENTERING THIS CONVERSATION

just look at how beautiful and symmetrical the markets have been looking recently(july 6, 7), at least HFT is good for something eh ;p

Climax
london

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

the ES movement for the week folks

I wouldn't be posting this if it weren't symentrical............

buy low sell high

goodoboy
Houston

Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 246

Analytic View Post

Analytic,

If someone shows you 5 years of annual trading tax statements from 2015 to 2020, AND all of their trades during this period, AND provide you the performance metrics of all these trades, is this not enough to convince you with a high probability chance of not wasting time , energy , stress, and money to invest in this person to teach you how to trade?

What else would you want someone to show you? The performance metrics will show edge and drawdown.

syswizard 
Philadelphia PA

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Ironbeam, Rithmic
Trading: Emini ES / NQ / CL / RTY / YM / BTC
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 146

Check out Hilmie....he purports to either win or lose $30k-$50k per month.
He lives large in a mansion in Dallas, TX.
Supposedly he has some special pattern-reading ability.
https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/joining-the-cme-gang.334231/page-43

Thanked by:
 planetkill 
New York City + NY/United States

Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 311

Is he related to Jeff Lowe by chance?
syswizard View Post
Check out Hilmie....he purports to either win or lose $30k-$50k per month.
He lives large in a mansion in Dallas, TX.
Supposedly he has some special pattern-reading ability.
https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/joining-the-cme-gang.334231/page-43

SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

goodoboy View Post
Analytic,

If someone shows you 5 years of annual trading tax statements from 2015 to 2020, AND all of their trades during this period, AND provide you the performance metrics of all these trades, is this not enough to convince you with a high probability chance of not wasting time , energy , stress, and money to invest in this person to teach you how to trade?

What else would you want someone to show you? The performance metrics will show edge and drawdown.

If they provided all of their trades during the period then for sure you'd have all the information you'd need to make a decision, including how much risk they're taking on.

But I have never seen it. Not 5 years worth, and certainly not anyone trying to sell something.

This is really just about teaching people how to evaluate a strategy, because there's a lot of dirty tricks the charlatans are using out there that are very effective at convincing people. The biggest one I see is making money by taking on excessive risk. Strategies that fit this category would include strategies where your target is much closer than your stop (if there's a stop at all), doubling down on losers, or martingale strategies where you risk more and more even when you're losing. Such strategies can result in really high winrates, but risk catastrophic losses. I find this particularly common among combine traders. They'll get funded using excessive risk, and then blow the account later. I know some individuals that have been funded over 6 times!

Many probably stumble upon these kinds of strategies to protect their ego. You'll find that the narcissistic ones almost always do this sort of thing. They don't want to be wrong, and so they take on extra risk to avoid having to face the reality. However, it's also just a really easy way to develop a following on YouTube or to sell a service. To new traders it appears like you're winning all the time. You can get away with it for a long time too. Years even. When that bad day comes along it can just be dismissed as a mistake. The reality though is that the blowing up is an inherent property of a strategy that has no real edge.

Thanked by:

syswizard 
Philadelphia PA

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: Ironbeam, Rithmic
Trading: Emini ES / NQ / CL / RTY / YM / BTC
Thanks Given: 20
Thanks Received: 146

planetkill View Post
Is he related to Jeff Lowe by chance?

You mean this guy ?: https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2020/04/jeff-lowe-tiger-king-stars-shady-past-exposed/
WTF does he have to do with trading ?

Last Updated on June 20, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts