NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Inside Fibbee's Incubator (Bloodhound Journal)

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fibbee with 25 posts (36 thanks)
    2. looks_two Ron8 with 11 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 hen322 with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Mantrs with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 9,850 views
    2. thumb_up 38 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 42 posts
    2. attach_file 11 attachments

Search this Thread

Inside Fibbee's Incubator (Bloodhound Journal)

Ron8 
Toronto

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader 8, TOS
Trading: Emini ES
Thanks Given: 129
Thanks Received: 24

Fibbee View Post
I Just realized that this journal challenge ended yesterday and think the best way to cap it all off is with a breakdown of some of the lessons I've learned and opinions I share throughout the last couple of years using bloodhound and blackbird.

If you've been following the PnL for my systems, last week was 1,600 for the group of systems I mentioned moving to live capital last week.

LESSONS/TIP/OPINIONS & TWO CENTS:

1. Dont waste your time with squiggle indicators. - If I could have all the time back I wasted trying to program an intraday system that uses some second panel ocillating indicator back, I would trade that for all of last years profit. That is the flame that sucks in all the newbie algo trading moths. I wasted years of my life trying to program systems based on cross overs or histograms or some technical derivative of price. Those systems don't work over time because they can not by default take into account different market states. They work sometimes and that only makes you think they will continue to work.

2. Swing Trade. - Along the same lines, programming a swing trading system is the only way to fly in my opinion. You have to cancel out the noise and randomness of an intraday market and the only way to do that is with larger charts and less trades. I understand the argument of the law of large numbers but if you want to produce consistent profits over a month basis, swing trading is the way to go. If you cant swing trade... you probably shouldn't bother with automated trading.

3. High R multiples and positive expectancy models - If you don't know what that means. Google it and come back. That's the whole point to all of this. There are good webinars on F.IO that talk about this. Van Tharp is the foremost expert on the concept of position sizing and r-multiples but there is very little free quality content of his online.

4. Always save your templates after changes and use the standard, alpha, beta, live method to keep track. In addition use the description boxes inside of bloodhound to leave notes for your future self.

5. Updates If you're reading this in 2020 you should be thankful because a lot of the kinks have been worked out. The early versions of blackbird were not stable for live trading and I payed the price as did others I'm sure. Always update to the current version and save your templates before you do.

6. Have a failsafe indicator built to close out any unprotected position. If there is ever an issue with blackbird, your orders can get messed up. Program an indicator to close you out of an unprotected position in the event that you have a platform/software issue.

7. Have a second account to separate long and short systems. I focus on the net net on a monthly basis. that's it. The best way to have systems run correctly and efficiently is to have shorts in one account and longs in the other. There are a whole bunch of benefits to doing this.

8. Options are your friend protect your portfolio with options. Even if you have long and short systems, its always a good idea to have cheap OTM options on hand in the event that corona strikes.

9. Don't touch it leave your systems alone to work or not work. Touching them on the fly is going to cost you one way or another.

10. Decide if its income or growth you want because you cant have both at the same time. Franchise your systems into accounts for one or the other. Accounts you withdraw from will never grow.

These are priceless info for algo traders. Thanks Fibbee!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Fibbee 
Boston, MA. United States

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja
Trading: Futures and Forex
Thanks Given: 102
Thanks Received: 166

This is very helpful for anyone who tests variations of systems with multiple sim accounts.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 oscarslater 
Glasgow United Kingdom

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: Futures, forex
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 1

I just read this entire thing thread.

It's like someone has read my mind.

Thanks especially to fibbee and Ron and to all who contributed.

Hopefully someday soon I'll be able to post such valuable info as my Bloodhound and Blackbird journey is just beginning.

oscarslater

Last Updated on September 16, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts