NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Another way to trade...to all those angry holy grail seekers..

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one TraderDoc007 with 13 posts (80 thanks)
    2. looks_two SpeculatorSeth with 5 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Sandpaddict with 4 posts (4 thanks)
    4. looks_4 belekas with 3 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TraderDoc007 with 6.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Pley with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SpeculatorSeth with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 11,711 views
    2. thumb_up 134 thanks given
    3. group 24 followers
    1. forum 46 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

Another way to trade...to all those angry holy grail seekers..

133usd 
Portland, ME

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Jigsaw, TOS, Firetip
Trading: YM, MYM, stocks, options
Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 85

TWDsje View Post
Well I'm sorry if I am being "rude". I have no intention of breaching the rules. However, I will never be one to hold back what I think about a situation. That's one of my unique traits. It's a little hard to call people out without being rude, but that's not going to stop me from trying. If it still comes out too rude then moderators are free to take whatever action they deem appropriate.

So I'm just going to more specifically lay out the issue I have here with what's going on:

I am very concerned when I see people out of the gate attempting to discourage people from questioning things. There is lots of advice out there that sounds good, but fails in actual practice. By giving such attitudes a free pass we create an atmosphere where it is easier to mislead or outright scam people.

The author is claiming that he makes money off a system that gives him entries, stops, and directions off purely mechanical signals on an intraday chart. That is a big claim. This is a claim that I have seen made many times that ended up being a lie. I have seen many profitable track records, but never such results on a purely mechanical intraday system. I'll see some that work well in certain time periods, but never over multiple years. To truly verify such a claim it would be necessary to produce broker verified statements verifying that he traded it live, and that the results were representative of all their trading activity in that account for that time period. However, that is a verification that is really too much to ask for one individual posting on a forum. So I just ask for stats. How did it actually perform when it was traded?

Without even basic statics on the historical performance of the system there is no way to verify the effectiveness of anything in the author's post. It is just more noise in a sea of opinions. But what really gets me is when you ask for some data, and you get responses like this

In my view this is a statement designed to manipulate people into not questioning things. The author is unable or unwilling to verify his claims, and is attempting to discourage anyone from asking by implying that if they don't see it they must be dumb. There is significant reason to be skeptical of this user and the information he is sharing. People usually don't respond well to having their strategy called out. I get it. But I am compelled to point these things out when I see them for the good of everyone involved. The reader can come to their own conclusions after reading interactions.

Hey, are you THE Speculator Seth on youtube?!? Dude, I have enjoyed a couple of your videos from time to time. I had no clue you posted here! Awesome

I'm in agreement with you Seth. But at least the OP isn't saying he's making $30 million a year from his system, so I give him that, at least. If a guy wants to trade with his own custom indicator....so be it....wanna use the moon cycles? So be it. Claim that it's profitable over the past 5 years? Ok let's see it then.

Anyone with a lot of experience and who's paid tuition in trading will know there is NO indicator that will give perfect entry/exit and stops. But an indicator could be a reference used (with heavy context), but not strictly relied on. They are always lagging behind actual price movement. So much of this is actually psychology too, which is why focusing on just an indicator isn't going to solve the actual issues.

We all want the "red light/sell and green light/buy" system but it just doesn't exist in the form of a complete turn-key "system" and this is why trading is challenging. The conditions constantly change. Edges change. There are very few businesses that exist as profitable "turn-key" operations (I do know of 1 real life business of a friend, that grosses 10 million a year, but it was handed to him via family). All he had to do was walk into the doors of the business, all the risk was taken by someone else and he could assume the small operation immediately AND collect his paycheck!
I wouldn't mind being him, but at the same time I like the grit we acquire by going out there and risking our own @$$ to build our own empire.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks
 n7ekg 
Plano, TX

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES, NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 44

TraderDoc007 View Post
I have a GUI that is written in the form of an indicator that trades the right hand side of the chart. When I originally developed the concept(which was in Tradestation years ago), I used a strategy to test the validity of the concept. The concept worked exactly the way I wanted to and it was then turned into an App, using OOEL that traded the right hand side of the chart. When forced to leave Tradestation, I had to find something that replaced my app. That is when I had a GUI developed. I do all my trading on the right hand side of the chart, not on backtested data. It is not a simple switch it on and let it trade all day - It places all the orders at the same places every time - I decide whether to leave them where they are or change them. Support and resistance, market mode etc are what I determine to tell me where to adjust my orders. So I’m not too sure what you mean when you say I’m hiding something?

The problem with this sort of post is that it doesn't really say anything while giving the impression that it's giving out valuable information. What is being hid is the details of such a system. "The concept" is meaningless without saying something like "it's based on a strength of market indicator crossing above/below XXX". It's like saying "I've got this really fast car, and I can beat anyone in a street race" without giving *some* details about what kind of car it is, engine size/torque. etc. With so many traders struggling to be profitable, it comes across to me as being really cruel, like dangling a glass of water in front of a person dying of thirst, then saying "you can't have any".

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 TraderDoc007 
Detroit MI/USA

Platform: Multicharts, Custom own
Trading: All Futures
Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Received: 206

n7ekg View Post
The problem with this sort of post is that it doesn't really say anything while giving the impression that it's giving out valuable information. What is being hid is the details of such a system. "The concept" is meaningless without saying something like "it's based on a strength of market indicator crossing above/below XXX". It's like saying "I've got this really fast car, and I can beat anyone in a street race" without giving *some* details about what kind of car it is, engine size/torque. etc. With so many traders struggling to be profitable, it comes across to me as being really cruel, like dangling a glass of water in front of a person dying of thirst, then saying "you can't have any".

I’m not too sure what detail you would like. For me personally, I do not want to be making directional decisions regarding the market while trading so I colour code my ADAPTIVE midline indicator which tells me whether I should be long or short. The entries occur at the midline and various ATR’s from the midline.

If my indicator shows I should be trading from the long side, I wait for the pullback from above to the midline. I am no soothsayer or have no predictive power, so I have no clue where the pullback will end, so I purchase tranches of my position as the market hits the midline and the various ATR’s beneath the midline. If it is a market turnaround and not a pullback, then my stop is waiting at the ATR below my last entry. I then take profits at various ATR’s above the midline, these being determined by how many tranches I was able to enter on the pullback. The exact same process occurs for shorts but the entries are above the midline and the exits below the midline, at various ATR levels.

Does this help in any way? Is this what you were referring to about detail?

Addendum.

Ive just noticed in an earlier post, on June 6th, you stated, and I quote:
“ Looking at your charts, I think I can duplicate most of your stuff on Sierra - it's pretty obvious if you know which indicators work and which don't.“

I’m assuming you were able to duplicate my stuff on Sierra, so the detail I have given you above should allow you to trade exactly the same way I trade.
Does it suit your personality or not? I’m now a little confused as to what you are asking now?

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Received: 1,018

133usd View Post
Hey, are you THE Speculator Seth on youtube?!? Dude, I have enjoyed a couple of your videos from time to time. I had no clue you posted here! Awesome

I'm in agreement with you Seth. But at least the OP isn't saying he's making $30 million a year from his system, so I give him that, at least. If a guy wants to trade with his own custom indicator....so be it....wanna use the moon cycles? So be it. Claim that it's profitable over the past 5 years? Ok let's see it then.

Anyone with a lot of experience and who's paid tuition in trading will know there is NO indicator that will give perfect entry/exit and stops. But an indicator could be a reference used (with heavy context), but not strictly relied on. They are always lagging behind actual price movement. So much of this is actually psychology too, which is why focusing on just an indicator isn't going to solve the actual issues.

We all want the "red light/sell and green light/buy" system but it just doesn't exist in the form of a complete turn-key "system" and this is why trading is challenging. The conditions constantly change. Edges change. There are very few businesses that exist as profitable "turn-key" operations (I do know of 1 real life business of a friend, that grosses 10 million a year, but it was handed to him via family). All he had to do was walk into the doors of the business, all the risk was taken by someone else and he could assume the small operation immediately AND collect his paycheck!
I wouldn't mind being him, but at the same time I like the grit we acquire by going out there and risking our own @$$ to build our own empire.

Shh don't blow my cover

We're definitely on the same page here. I just can't stand it when people claim they have results that prove this isn't true, but then refuse to offer even basic stats. I've seen many instances where traders thought they had something that worked, but they were really only generating profits from excessive risk. But we can't verify any of that because the author has not provided any data. Of course, there's no rule that states they're required to show us. I'm still going to point it out though because I think this kind of behavior is really harmful for new traders trying to navigate building a strategy.

Thanked by:
 TraderDoc007 
Detroit MI/USA

Platform: Multicharts, Custom own
Trading: All Futures
Thanks Given: 41
Thanks Received: 206

TWDsje View Post
Shh don't blow my cover

We're definitely on the same page here. I just can't stand it when people claim they have results that prove this isn't true, but then refuse to offer even basic stats. I've seen many instances where traders thought they had something that worked, but they were really only generating profits from excessive risk. But we can't verify any of that because the author has not provided any data. Of course, there's no rule that states they're required to show us. I'm still going to point it out though because I think this kind of behavior is really harmful for new traders trying to navigate building a strategy.

Sir, I have not claimed anything - you seem to be fixated on things that I have never said! There is also nothing for you to verify. Read the actual messages and content in this thread, and think whatever you'd like. I'm not concerned whether you believe I'm profitable or not. It makes no difference to me.
Please point out to me where "this kind of behaviour is really harmful for new traders trying to navigate building a strategy". What kind of behaviour? I have shown exactly how I trade and did not cherry pick charts or settings of my indicators in my posts - I simply printed 5 min charts (which a lot of people trade) and did some common markets. And then I've described how I actually use the indicators and trade. What is so difficult to understand about that???

Started this thread Reply With Quote

forgiven 
Fletcher NC
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nijia trader
Broker: A.M.P. I.Q. ....C.Q.G.
Trading: ym es
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 580

i agree with the concept , if you can not or will not prove you can trade there is know reason to think you can .

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Tradingstats
Chicago,Illinois

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 1

forgiven View Post
i agree with the concept , if you can not or will not prove you can trade there is know reason to think you can .

I am new on this site but I've been trading for many years.
I have systems that have taken me years creating and I trade them every day.
When I did my backtesting I knew they worked. I dont' have to do any of that now because I trade every day.
Sometimes when people trade and use their systems every day, they don't need to prove it to anyone as we know what we are doing and don't have to prove it to anyone. When I trade, I'm not trying to see how much money I can make, it is past that. I trade to see how well I can execute my strategy and am always aiming for perfection. After years, I'm still only around 80% according to my own internal meter.

So I don't think anyone who doesn't give you proof is necessarily hiding anything or trying to dupe anyone.

Just my viewpoint, might not be what everyone wants to hear.

Thanked by:

forgiven 
Fletcher NC
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nijia trader
Broker: A.M.P. I.Q. ....C.Q.G.
Trading: ym es
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 580

that may be true for you. however 99% its not true . if you can not or will not prove it , how in the hell would we know it. i can not speck for the other members but i am going to play the percentages and assume you are in the 99% that can not trade until proven wrong . it is not personal . its just the trading educational industry is a group of bandits.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 133usd 
Portland, ME

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Jigsaw, TOS, Firetip
Trading: YM, MYM, stocks, options
Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 85

Tradingstats View Post
I am new on this site but I've been trading for many years.
I have systems that have taken me years creating and I trade them every day.
When I did my backtesting I knew they worked. I dont' have to do any of that now because I trade every day.
Sometimes when people trade and use their systems every day, they don't need to prove it to anyone as we know what we are doing and don't have to prove it to anyone. When I trade, I'm not trying to see how much money I can make, it is past that. I trade to see how well I can execute my strategy and am always aiming for perfection. After years, I'm still only around 80% according to my own internal meter.

So I don't think anyone who doesn't give you proof is necessarily hiding anything or trying to dupe anyone.

Just my viewpoint, might not be what everyone wants to hear.

Feels like he/she is dangling the goodies over our heads, except it doesn't bother me. It's more like Meh, cool story bro.
What I'm guessing is that this person trades an indicator with some really, really, heavy context. When the uptrend is strong, and he sees the indicator showing a long and finds a pullback, the trade is taken. Very easy, period. This is how you trade with an indicator, with heavy context.

Indicators are NOT to be traded solely. You will lose, and very badly. Nothing is to be taken in a vacuum, nothing. Not even orderflow!

You don't trade every signal, and you definitely don't trade heavy on every signal. Shoot, these bigger traders will slowly enter by sweeping the book several times per day (orderflow), but they definitely time it out so their whole position isn't stuck at 1 single price. There is SO much more to trading than simply ONE INDICATOR!

Do we hold winners? Do we add to winners and where do we add? How aggressive can we get with our specific system and results of our trading? Are there psychological traits of one's self that must be improved (impulsive, fearful, scared money)? All of this requires heavy discretion, heavy. When to know if you're crossing into revenge trading? What about all the other rules like loss limits? I mean the list goes on and on!

I say to the OP, good for you, if it works. Don't feel the need to prove anything at all, I can understand that. That's a good thought pattern in this line of business as we shouldn't feel the need to gain approval (if you trade your own stack). You do this for yourself, that's all you need to do. And to be honest, you can't prove anything to some people, because there will always be people who criticize to some extent ok.

My question to the OP is this... Could you please tell us how you manage your winning trades? I'm only asking so I can improve my own results, that's all. What other rules do you impliment? Whatever you are comfortable with sharing, would be amazing. I'm not in the position to pick anyone apart TOO much. Expanding my own mind is more important.

How you manage a winner can actually make you or break you. I know because I've been there.

Thanked by:
 n7ekg 
Plano, TX

Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP
Trading: ES, NQ, CL
Thanks Received: 44

133usd View Post
My question to the OP is this... Could you please tell us how you manage your winning trades? I'm only asking so I can improve my own results, that's all. What other rules do you impliment? Whatever you are comfortable with sharing, would be amazing. I'm not in the position to pick anyone apart TOO much. Expanding my own mind is more important.

How you manage a winner can actually make you or break you. I know because I've been there.

One way is to put your stop behind a significant number of orders on the LOB, and enter 2-3 ticks on the other side. That way, you can have a very small loss if they happen to pull those orders - if not, you can just walk your stop up or down, staying behind those LOB large positions, until you get stopped out at a profit or hit your target, whichever comes first.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Last Updated on October 24, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts