NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is Volume Profile worth learning or is it an outdated concept?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one AllSeeker with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Gary Fullett with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SpeculatorSeth with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Zakalwe with 3 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fibbee with 12 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 8.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Zakalwe with 4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 22,232 views
    2. thumb_up 110 thanks given
    3. group 512 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Is Volume Profile worth learning or is it an outdated concept?

joe s 
sacramento ca us

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader,Trade Station
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 105

I will check him out thanks

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
22 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
 martinhunting 
melbourne victoria australia

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninjatrader
Broker: FXCM
Trading: AUS200
Thanks Given: 59
Thanks Received: 149

Here is the AUS 200 which has been in a balance from the 16th. June. The value area 6017 -5970 contains the majority of price action during that period , above and below the value area price has been rejected and has rotated across the value area . Two profiles one on the left is just for the balance and the one on the right is for a longer period both has the same area for the POC. and the value area low is a high volume node on the long term profile.
The market balances most of the time, that can been seen on different time frames. I use the 60 and 240 min charts for looking at balances.

@AUS200 (60 Minute) 2020_06_24 (9_30_42 AM)

To enter trades while price is in a balance I use the value area high and low to look for a entries

@AUS200 (ninZaRenko 8_4) 2020_06_23 (10_00_58 AM)

@AUS200 (ninZaRenko 8_4) 2020_06_23 (11_15_39 AM)

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Airsoftor 
Ladysmith BC, Canada

Platform: Meta Trader
Trading: Crude Oil
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 7

I wouldn't say it was outdated there are Volume indicators galore. Most all of the trading companies have them.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Gary Fullett   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 85
Thanks Received: 375

Market profile is still relevant if price and volume and time are impoiortant to you
They are to me

The Players change in markets but markets rarely do

Gary

Just my thoughts only

There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures and options. Past performance is not indicative of future results. The opinions expressed here are those of Gary Fullett, and are not to be taken as a recommendation to buy or sell commodity futures or options. This is for educational purposes only.
Thanked by:
Vale Zaragoza
16400 SPAIN

Thanks Given: 30
Thanks Received: 8

Airsoftor View Post
I wouldn't say it was outdated there are Volume indicators galore. Most all of the trading companies have them.

That's what I think. I can't conceive of today's trading without considering the volume profile.

barabas 
Chicago IL USA

Platform: Tradestation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: ES,NQ, CL
Thanks Given: 105
Thanks Received: 173

How do you use TPO or Volume profile when the market pushing new high? Never used VPO but isn't that filled orders?

SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

I don't think that anything really becomes outdated. Something might work well and then get arbitraged out of the market. Then it becomes what I like to call base. Things that are widely enough known that it is unwise to trade against it, but will ultimately only bring you break even. So perhaps volume profile was an edge at one time, but from my own experience it is only base at this point. It is really good for helping to explain past market action or the current situation, but I haven't found a way to make money using only the market profile.

FuturesTrader71 

Thanks Given: 174
Thanks Received: 1,514

Hey traders,

I'm actually a bit confused by this conversation entirely. There seems to be a misunderstanding of what Volume Profiling is. It is being discussed like it is a trading system or indicator. It is neither. It is a way of organizing actual market info. It is just a chart type and a way of looking at price and volume. I don't think it can ever be outdated, because it isn't an edge on its own.

Can candlesticks be outdated? How about P&F bars?

How the VP is used is what can change and must evolve with the market. The most important thing to note about VP is that it lets you see inside of the bar (whatever periodicity that bar might be). It helps you see where participants were interested and where they weren't. It is as simple as that.

I use VP to determine where acceptance and value are and how they are moving along with price. I use it to see what areas dried up and showed no interest. It helps me see when a point of control is about to shift elsewhere in the auction, etc.

Let me know if you disagree and why. I'm here to learn like everyone else.

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread

calafrius 
Belo Horizonte MG / Brazil

Experience: Advanced
Platform: MetaTrader 5
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 212
Thanks Received: 366

Shovez View Post
Inspired by this thread: I wanted to start this one.

I've been trading for 5 years. It was hard in the beginning to differentiate what is worth learning and what is just empty promises. In the end I found price action and discretionary trading as my way to go. I haven't had a losing month for the last 1,5 years trading the ES.

As I'm always looking for ways to improve I want to find something which complements my trading. For the last few months I see more and more courses and topics about market/volume profile, order flow, dom, delta and footprint charts, etc. It seems like the "new" trend (I know it's been around for a long time).

I'm a pretty sceptical person which helped me so far in my trading journey. I see guys like futurestrader71 and prop firms like SMB offer mp/vp courses and I'm asking myself: Why are those coming up more and more over the last few years? Is it still relevant?

To sum it up: Is it worth to learn volume profile or what can you recommend to learn for a price action trader?

Thanks!

Learning is always worthwhile, especially if it is about something that caught your attention for having many respectable supporters in this business.
Now, if you are successful with the Price Action techniques, I think you do not need to be distracted by other elements like VP, even because, indirectly, you are already negotiating with the impact of the volume on the price action.

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,011

While I've posted here before at that time I myself was not actively using volume family indicators that well. Now I do, here is share of screen that is now "mostly all around volume". Volume is telling me dominant sentiment as well as major areas of price where people were interested. As f17 has very nicely said, its way to "organise information", I'm finding that to be quite true.

chartCapture

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on September 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts