NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is Volume Profile worth learning or is it an outdated concept?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one AllSeeker with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Gary Fullett with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SpeculatorSeth with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Zakalwe with 3 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fibbee with 12 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 8.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Zakalwe with 4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 22,322 views
    2. thumb_up 110 thanks given
    3. group 512 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Is Volume Profile worth learning or is it an outdated concept?

jck411 
orlando florida/usa

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

The way I look at it is like the price of milk analogy:
lets say, theoretically, people are used to buying milk for $1.50. The something bad happens (cow shortage lol)..
.So now milk is costing $5...some people need the milk so they keep buying it but some say, man that's too much for milk the cows will come back.
One day the cows come back. Now milks prices comes down, what price do you think they are most likely to come back to?

That's basically what I get from volume/ market profile but its much greatly extrapolated from the above example

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
About a successful futures trader who didn´t know anyth …
Psychology and Money Management
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,784
Thanks Received: 18,257

"What's your opinion on _____?" brings everyone out of the woodwork, and most of them don't make a cent in the market, or even trade live. If you've made money the past 18 months in the minis, I'm confused as to why you're seeking advice on this. The better question is, why do you trust random internet people who don't make money, more than yourself, since you do make money? Sure, you want to improve, but why seek advice from people who you don't know, and who aren't where you want to be? As you know, this is 100% a subjective matter, and there is no definitive answer. "Will it work for me?" -- that's the only question you need to ask, and no one can answer that but you.

Fluid Fox 
Bangor, Maine
Legendary Retail Failure

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Trading: MNQ
Thanks Given: 2,968
Thanks Received: 2,711

josh View Post
"What's your opinion on _____?" brings everyone out of the woodwork, and most of them don't make a cent in the market, or even trade live. If you've made money the past 18 months in the minis, I'm confused as to why you're seeking advice on this. The better question is, why do you trust random internet people who don't make money, more than yourself, since you do make money? Sure, you want to improve, but why seek advice from people who you don't know, and who aren't where you want to be? As you know, this is 100% a subjective matter, and there is no definitive answer. "Will it work for me?" -- that's the only question you need to ask, and no one can answer that but you.

On the topic of "who's worth listening to and who isn't.." I encountered this a couple weeks ago, and pondered it over.

I think it's better to listen to someone who actually profits from trading, but I don't agree that you shouldn't listen to someone who doesn't.

Someone perceptive and considerate enough from the outside looking in can give good advice, thoughts, and opinions regardless of profitability.

So to answer the question.. If big players and great traders use Volume Profile, wouldn't it be wise to learn it? Wouldn't it be smart to open yourself up to different methodologies with an intellectual razor?

In the end, it is all up to the individual, but I'll be damned to not participate in a discussion so I myself can learn and grow, and hopefully help another person.

By the way, no hard feelings.

There's nothing to think about.

- Mark Douglas
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 BrokeDog 
Kailua Kona Hawaii

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: NQ, ES, CL
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 0

I believe that your current style must be working! So I would work around tweaking what works...

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,012

Volume is one of the most indispensable data sets. It is worth studying for any trader, its not just there in profile form, there are many forms of studies out there. My favorite is Vwap.

Take your picks, but if volume is available to whatever you are trading, its always good to keep an eye on it.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

Shovez View Post
I've been trading for 5 years. It was hard in the beginning to differentiate what is worth learning and what is just empty promises. In the end I found price action and discretionary trading as my way to go. I haven't had a losing month for the last 1,5 years trading the ES.

It would be nice to have statements to back up that 1.5 years and not a losing month claim, but here's the thing...

People will show me statements from time to time. I have not found one "school" of trading that seemed to be more successful than others. The only consistent theme from talking to them is that what they were doing was unique. They might be using price action, momentum indicators, order flow, whatever, but the actual trade itself is never anything like the trades people are talking about in public forums.

There's never anything really all that special about them either One strategy I saw that was very successful was just based on looking at two moving averages. In fact, there's often glaring problems with the strategies that show up when I backtest them. Perhaps some people are lucky? Or perhaps what style of analysis they do with the market generated information is not really the important factor behind their success.

Thanked by:
forexnetworth
Mirdiff+Dubai+UAE

Thanks Given: 1

Volume moves price. I was primarily a price action trader for years. Recently started focusing on volume profile and found that it compliments price action trading very well.

I would focus on the strategy that has resulted in your success over the last 1.5 years, whilst exploring volume profile.

Nhseag
Abu Dhabi UAE

Thanks Given: 4

Shovez View Post
Inspired by this thread: I wanted to start this one.

I've been trading for 5 years. It was hard in the beginning to differentiate what is worth learning and what is just empty promises. In the end I found price action and discretionary trading as my way to go. I haven't had a losing month for the last 1,5 years trading the ES.

As I'm always looking for ways to improve I want to find something which complements my trading. For the last few months I see more and more courses and topics about market/volume profile, order flow, dom, delta and footprint charts, etc. It seems like the "new" trend (I know it's been around for a long time).

I'm a pretty sceptical person which helped me so far in my trading journey. I see guys like futurestrader71 and prop firms like SMB offer mp/vp courses and I'm asking myself: Why are those coming up more and more over the last few years? Is it still relevant?

To sum it up: Is it worth to learn volume profile or what can you recommend to learn for a price action trader?

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing this with us. Will you be able to share us with your style of trading so that we can have some of the lesson learnt and other traders in this forum can learn and get the benefits. Thanks

nikotron1124 
Anahein+California

Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: Gold
Thanks Given: 206
Thanks Received: 35

Shovez View Post
Inspired by this thread: I wanted to start this one.

As I'm always looking for ways to improve I want to find something which complements my trading. For the last few months I see more and more courses and topics about market/volume profile, order flow, dom, delta and footprint charts, etc. It seems like the "new" trend (I know it's been around for a long time).

I'm a pretty sceptical person which helped me so far in my trading journey. I see guys like futurestrader71 and prop firms like SMB offer mp/vp courses and I'm asking myself: Why are those coming up more and more over the last few years? Is it still relevant?

To sum it up: Is it worth to learn volume profile or what can you recommend to learn for a price action trader?

Thanks!

My friend, if you have the success you say you have, DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT chase new ways. A trade strategy that MAKES money is the absolute WINNER in trading. It took me quite a few years to discover and use something that I had used all along (quite successfully, but sparingly) and stay with it for trade after trade making money consistently. In this business ALL you need is a high percentage winning strategy and leave the always learning crowd try new things. You just keep making money. And that's the TRUTH!!! Wishing you continued success.

Thanked by:

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

100% agree with what @josh has said, so with that irony I will offer my opinion;

If you follow Dr Brett Steenbarger's blog you will see a pattern of the successful traders that he works with where they are constantly looking for new insights and learning. The trick here is that they have a systematic and methodical process of evaluating new ideas and information and using what is profitable and discarding what is not. Many leading traders believe this is the primary skill required for long term success in the markets.

So the question really is do you have a process of evaluating if VP will be a valuable addition to your trading.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts