NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Is Volume Profile worth learning or is it an outdated concept?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one AllSeeker with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Gary Fullett with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 SpeculatorSeth with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Zakalwe with 3 posts (12 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Fibbee with 12 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FuturesTrader71 with 8.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Zakalwe with 4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 22,272 views
    2. thumb_up 110 thanks given
    3. group 512 followers
    1. forum 56 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Is Volume Profile worth learning or is it an outdated concept?

Photographer856 
Philadelphia, Pa

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninjatrader
Trading: es, metals
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 4

Outdated? The profile is a statistical method to show where the trading community finds current value. That can never be "outdated". How you decide to use the profile is up to each individual trader. If you have a successful method you may want to incorporate the profile into you strategy. You may find that your successful strategy and the profile are very compatible.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
23 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 nuugman 
Zurich/Zurich/Switzerland

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES, Bund, FDax, Bonds
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 1

gnoppa View Post
I'd also love to hear more about it. So far I am learning how to trade price action from Brooks. He says that volume/DOM can be helpful but usually it is unnecessary. Has anyone learned PA trading from Brooks and improved it by incorporating volume profile?

Edit: Also SMB seems to be all about selling their super expensive course.

Hi gnoppa

VP and DOM are useful but you should also consider to use some other parameters like Footprint, Imbalances etc. Each thing is llike a piece of a puzzle and when you get all them together than it's done. BUT also consider that there are some further factors in order to be successful!

The one and only indicator or parameter does not exist just to keep that in mind! At the end of the day you should understand the meaning of all theses paramters and how the market reacts.

Cheers from Switzerland,
Carmelo

Thanked by:
 chartmojo2 
Missioul Montana usa

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader and others
Trading: nq, es, Hype cool runner Ipo's months out short into lockup expirations. UVXY, TSLA options
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 60

Volume profile is definitely worth learning. I pay special attention to developing POC (point of control). It (POC) often moves to price at the end of a wave or pattern and the exiter's start creating the churn of say at the end of and up move they start selling into the buyers. Lets say after a five wave force push up and your looking for exhaustion. I look a slight exhaust and poc to move to price. When poc moves to price I look close to see which side of that heaviest traded level starts defending/pushing..in other words which side of the heaviest traded level do the new orders coming in want to go. I use it a lot for all kinds of things. Definitely worth "learning"...not so much to trade directly off of but as a way to see behind/beyond price a bit. Trading is usually off a sequence of things and its definitely in the sequence for me. Price moves from confluence to confluence..in waves and patterns lets say from high of day to vwap/50% range..poc or a heavy volume module is usually there on a confluence...adding "gravity"..really its where it should be confirming the "gravity" or confluence. Volume profile and developing POC are great tools. Should have that arrow in the quiver.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bcomas 
Palma de Mallorca/Spain

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage
Trading: micro e-mini nasdaq-100 index futures
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 116

Shovez View Post
Inspired by this thread: I wanted to start this one.

I've been trading for 5 years. It was hard in the beginning to differentiate what is worth learning and what is just empty promises. In the end I found price action and discretionary trading as my way to go. I haven't had a losing month for the last 1,5 years trading the ES.

As I'm always looking for ways to improve I want to find something which complements my trading. For the last few months I see more and more courses and topics about market/volume profile, order flow, dom, delta and footprint charts, etc. It seems like the "new" trend (I know it's been around for a long time).

I'm a pretty sceptical person which helped me so far in my trading journey. I see guys like futurestrader71 and prop firms like SMB offer mp/vp courses and I'm asking myself: Why are those coming up more and more over the last few years? Is it still relevant?

To sum it up: Is it worth to learn volume profile or what can you recommend to learn for a price action trader?

Thanks!

If you found the system then be happy.
Only increase the contracts depending your account size. Why to research and research??....

Do the same with the same discipline and enjoy the life . Dont spend in courses and change anything

Bernard
Thanked by:
FabriceM
Denver

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 27

First, If you have been profitable for 1.5 years, don't change anything, you have obviously found the right balance, your edge and changing or altering it my not be a good strategy. Rather, if you need to make more, increase your trade size.

As for all the shinny new toys, none of them make the trade for you, they are barely odds enhancers, they should be used as trade confirmations of what you are already suspecting is going to happen, rather than decision makers. I think the people who make them make their money from selling them rather than from trading.

FuturesTrader71 

Thanks Given: 174
Thanks Received: 1,514

Shovez View Post

I've been trading for 5 years. It was hard in the beginning to differentiate what is worth learning and what is just empty promises. In the end I found price action and discretionary trading as my way to go. I haven't had a losing month for the last 1,5 years trading the ES.

As I'm always looking for ways to improve I want to find something which complements my trading. For the last few months I see more and more courses and topics about market/volume profile, order flow, dom, delta and footprint charts, etc. It seems like the "new" trend (I know it's been around for a long time).

I'm a pretty sceptical person which helped me so far in my trading journey. I see guys like futurestrader71 and prop firms like SMB offer mp/vp courses and I'm asking myself: Why are those coming up more and more over the last few years? Is it still relevant?

To sum it up: Is it worth to learn volume profile or what can you recommend to learn for a price action trader?

Thanks!

Short answer: There are 3 components to every tick in the market. Time, Price, Volume. Volume being the component that provides a "magnitude" reading on price and time. So, in my opinion, there is a lot to gain and little to lose by learning VP as it gives us a detail of "how much" traded at each price.

Risk Disclaimer: Trading Futures is not suitable for all investors. Past Performance is not indicative of future results.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
 seattle7 
Seattle, WA

Platform: TradeStation
Trading: ES only
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 63

I, too, have found that price action & discretionary trading work for me; I abandoned "indicators" several decades ago. Since the beginning of this year, I have also been using bookmap (bookmap.com) and found it to complement my trading.

Airsoftor 
Ladysmith BC, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Meta Trader
Trading: Crude Oil
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 7

gnoppa View Post
I'd also love to hear more about it. So far I am learning how to trade price action from Brooks. He says that volume/DOM can be helpful but usually it is unnecessary. Has anyone learned PA trading from Brooks and improved it by incorporating volume profile?

Edit: Also SMB seems to be all about selling their super expensive course.

Volume is over rated I would be more concerned about Trends. Parablic Sar is exellent for following trends up and down.

Thanked by:
 bdom2369 
norman oklahoma

Platform: IB
Broker: IB
Trading: Options
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 5

I don't feel volume profile gives any edge. I don't feel its "outdated", thats like saying a moving average it outdated. Knowing where volume is in the past is just another lagging indicator. As time and price move on new volume come in. POC and VA shift. Also its all relative to the time frame and data you are using.

Thanked by:
RockywoBalboa
Houston TX/USA

Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 26

Shovez View Post

Thanks!

Hi All,

To me all this footprint, imbalance type course appears to deviate the traders from catching big moves. There are lot more people creating noise than actual meat of the business. That's my opinion and understanding from last three-four years in the market. Maybe one has to ask oneself and verify from the charts,
1) Does long term methods still work like pivots, volume profile, market profile, weekly VWAPs?
2) Is it necessary to pay 100s or 1000s of dollars in commissions every month or is it necessary to understand what price/instrument is trying to do in a comparatively longer term, be patient and act accordingly even as a day trader?
3) Big institutions will have big troubles if they keep buying and selling. Imagine a market with no direction.
4) Observe who is trying to sell these scalping course? Brokers, gurus tied with brokers, institutions.

That's my 2 cents.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 10, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts