NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

bill mcdowell

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one nqcruiser with 10 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two cunparis with 8 posts (30 thanks)
    3. looks_3 trendisyourfriend with 6 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 turbolover with 5 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one longboat with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two cunparis with 3.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ddnut with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 turbolover with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 43,686 views
    2. thumb_up 59 thanks given
    3. group 23 followers
    1. forum 68 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

bill mcdowell

cunparis 
Paris, France

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

turbolover View Post
What got me excited about McDowell was that I saw he traded several instruments well. Plus he did sixteen contracts at a time up until the open, after that it varied. I was initially optimistic because I knew I could do a smaller proportion of contracts with my small account. I also have to give him credit because he consistently met his targets, usually within a couple of minutes.

How do you know he traded real money and not on sim? If he is trading real money, I wonder why he would not show his DOM. That's really strange. Why hide it? Why show winners after the fact?

Bill's method seems to be based more on intuition. The way he was teaching it was not working as no one was able to do it, even the guys who were in there for a year. It's basically a question of faith - if you scalp it this way every day you'll eventually get it. or not. I wasn't prepared to spend a year finding out. He could never say why he entered or didn't enter, it was always "I didn't like the bars" or "you got to RTB" (read the bars). But this RTB can't be explained. And if it can't be explained, I don't think it can be taught.

It's funny that I spent so much time trying different methods and such and in the end what works for me, and what I believe is the only thing that works, is simple support & resistance. Buy support, sell resistance, and know quickly when you're wrong. It's really that simple. Yet all these indicators and systems make it out to be so complicated.

can someone refresh my memory on bill's targets & stops. I believe he was using 3,4,5,5 for targets and for stop I do not remember maybe 5,5,5,5.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 steve2222 
Auckland, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Whatever moves in my timezone
Thanks Given: 3,379
Thanks Received: 1,540

turbolover View Post
I can vouch for McDowell and Roy Kelly guys because I had a trick to see any hotcomm desktop, including the area outside of the recording region (which included the DOM and their chat areas).

Hope that helps,
turbolover

@turbolover

How does this trick work?

Thanked by:
 nqcruiser 
Cape Town, South Africa

Platform: ninjatrader, ensignsoftware
Broker: ampfutures/Zen-Fire
Trading: 6E, Cl, TF
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 51

bill or any other person out there charging for his/her trading service, should try to make a living from their skills in the 1st place rather than charging for rooms. whats wrong with this basic demand. he charges an astronomical fee for his room. Even former students who failed to get it, need to pay. why? i dont pay for thetradingzone or tgtradergirl. i can get in there anytime i want. its just nonsense to try and make money from other who r suffering to get up to speed with trading skills. whats wrong with that?

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Eric j 
NY

Platform: Esignal, MBT navigator
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 1,396
Thanks Received: 2,576

nqcruiser View Post
bill or any other person out there charging for his/her trading service, should try to make a living from their skills in the 1st place rather than charging for rooms. whats wrong with this basic demand. he charges an astronomical fee for his room. Even former students who failed to get it, need to pay. why? i dont pay for thetradingzone or tgtradergirl. i can get in there anytime i want. its just nonsense to try and make money from other who r suffering to get up to speed with trading skills. whats wrong with that?

Unfortunately these vendors supply a knowledge product that certain people demand . Even though the demand is for knowledge that cant be taught in a classical classroom setting , if it can be taught at all , the vendors still provide knowledge , for a fee . The question you ask here is as old as the hills and will be asked for eternity .

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

turbolover 
dulles ohio

Experience: None
Platform: nt
Broker: zf
Trading: gc
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 8

hey guys I do not want to sound negative in any way about these two guys, I was just chiming in on the thread based on my experience.

my personal reality is that I had been trading baskets of currencies via StateStreet since early 2000 and was looking to get away from them when Citigroup took over. Citi f'ed with a solid working platform and turned it into a horrible jumble of programs that were buggy and unreliable. I got burned badly due to connection failures, etc.

futures had always been appealing to me and I heard about Roy Kelly first, found Roy Kelly on hotcomm.
the hotcomm software had a similar bug to the cisco software out there, so I could lurk anywhere I wanted on hotcomm without being detected for a long time. I watched dozens of different traders over the next few months, found Dr. Bill McDowell.

basically if you are new, neither guy would be bad, especially compared to what is out there.
that being said, futures.io (formerly BMT) is excellent and you can go far with the resources here.

glad to have found futures.io (formerly BMT)
hope that helps,
turbolover

turbolover 
dulles ohio

Experience: None
Platform: nt
Broker: zf
Trading: gc
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 8

cunparis View Post
(snipped)
can someone refresh my memory on bill's targets & stops. I believe he was using 3,4,5,5 for targets and for stop I do not remember maybe 5,5,5,5.
(snipped)

Yes, 3,4,5 for targets with 4,5,5,5 for stops - - a very all-or-nothing situation, especially on the russell and the euro when it is moving (seventeen ticks upside, nineteen downside).

You mentioned support and resistance trading earlier, what resource do you recommend learning that from?
I am interested in it, but never have found anything concrete...
TIA,
turbolover

cunparis 
Paris, France

Platform: Market Delta & Ninjatrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,162
Thanks Received: 2,093

turbolover View Post
Yes, 3,4,5 for targets with 4,5,5,5 for stops - - a very all-or-nothing situation, especially on the russell and the euro when it is moving (seventeen ticks upside, nineteen downside).

You mentioned support and resistance trading earlier, what resource do you recommend learning that from?
I am interested in it, but never have found anything concrete...
TIA,
turbolover

3,4,5 with 4,5,5 stop doesn't make sense to me. One needs over 58% win rate just to break even. To make money at this, one would need 75% win rate or more. My experience is that strategies which require a 75% win rate do not work well. Especially with the current volatility.

In my trading, I go for at least a 2:1 ratio on my first scale and I like my second scale to be 3:1 or better. So I can be right < 50% of the time. I take a few (0-4) trades/session. This is what works for me.

For resources in learning support & resistance: There are two methods: Price based S&R (yday's high & low for example), and volum profiling (yesterday's HVN & LVN). I wrote a blog page with links to resources which is geared towards new traders but still useful for those with experience:

My advice for someone starting out Trade With The Flow

There are many ways to trade. Sometimes I take trades opposite of some colleagues. But we all make money in the end. So everyone has to find what works for them. If scalping for 5 ticks is working for someone then that's great. If it's not then try looking at something different.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

rainbowchaser 
Fort Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NT
Broker: CQG
Trading: YM,CL
Thanks Given: 543
Thanks Received: 63

Took Bill's program on early 2011. Did basic (6E and TF) program and CL program as well. Bill is very commited to his room and students. His methodology, although very difficult to master, is very sound and solid. he shows his trades all the time in the CL room. At that time there were a handful of students both experienced and novices, like me. All the experienced ones contacted showed his trades and his versions of the methodology. All very open to help.
The only thing I would desire is his videos to be shorter. More than a 100 of videos are available and most of them are more than 2hrs long.
His weekly class for new students attending the room is awesome. Bill is an awesome trader and he probes it everyday in the room.
Unfortunately for me I was really unexperienced at that time. Meaning too new. Of course I blew my account when I went life with the TF. My one and enterely fault.
Would wish to have taken his mentorship later with a little more reading and study, like now.
This site has been a blessing for me and as i have stated publicly to Big Mike. I have passed hundreds of quality hours on the last year enjoying the learning and the companion ship of alll here.
As per Mc Dowell I can only speak well of him. A gentleman and a terrific trader. Would have to say that he is a monster of a trader.
Maybe the notion spread by other vendors that you can make it in 60 days was the cause of my failure.
Mc Dowell, and many others, state that you need your 10K hours of study before hitting the jack pot.
Bill Mc Dowell is very sincere about that. But our wishful thinking, our superhero ego makes us believe that we can make it and kick Goldman Sacks traders in the buttocks with just 3 months of study. I have found a very few lucky ones that say, here, that they made it on a month. Good for them.
I have improved my knowledge with all the info here. have studied trading psichology as per BM insistence, I am walking up at 2am ET to attend the Euro session before going to my day job and I am opening my path.
There are very solid methodologies here. You just have to pick one and master it...over time.

emini2000
Atlanta GA USA

Thanks Given: 70
Thanks Received: 271

So any recent traders in Bill's room? Anybody taken his course within the last year or so? How have you done?

Last Updated on March 15, 2015

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts