NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Starting trading futures live again today...

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Sandpaddict with 70 posts (41 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 6 posts (22 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Medge91 with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TraderDoc007 with 3 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two josh with 3.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 TraderDoc007 with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Sandpaddict with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,738 views
    2. thumb_up 87 thanks given
    3. group 14 followers
    1. forum 90 posts
    2. attach_file 51 attachments

Search this Thread

Starting trading futures live again today...

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

Just stop. Breathe. I post because I care, really and truly.

Your charts from before show you have a difficult time accepting a loss. You fade strength. There can be many reasons for this, but given your defensive attitude earlier on this thread, you seem to have a hard time taking criticism. This loosely translates to thinking you know better than others and wanting to be right. This makes it hard to take a loss.

I challenge you to not look at the market for 24 hours. Then I challenge you to look at it but not trade for 24 hours. Your name alone indicates you are an addict. If you trade live right now without making changes, you'll have the same result as you did before--blow up. You can't wait to get back in there... but you're getting back in there without changing anything, and you're going to get your ass handed to you again unless you do.

I went through all of this shit years ago. You have to be honest with yourself before you can even remotely dream of consistency in trading. Right now you are in no position to succeed. Not trying to be a trading coach here, because I have too much shit to work on myself. Just trying to point out in a friendly but straightforward way what many people reading this journal (who've been trading for a while) are thinking.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Online prop firm The Funded Trader (TFT) going under?
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks

Pa Dax 
Netherlands
Price Action Scientist

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, IB TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2,006
Thanks Received: 6,318

I agree with @josh here @Sandpaddict - it's all showing red lights to us experienced traders. Futures.io is a house of respect, camaraderie and support and as such @josh and I, (and others that have been biting their tongue) think we should post.
The general erraticness, the obsessive use of Caps Lock (capitals in my mind always sound like someone's screaming), the addict in the user name, you are trading to make brokers happy. Let me say it this way: I've never seen someone like that be successful, prove me wrong please.

You say you're learning from Al Brooks, and you acknowledge that psychology is an issue for you. Then why not focus a little on Al's personality when he's trading or talking. Calm, boring and a man who can put you to sleep by his video's. But also with lots of analysis, reason, arguments for bears, arguments for bulls, etc. He seems very rational, just as a @Big Mike or a @josh here. That to me is the perfect example of how you want your personality to be whilst trading. Don't be right, don't be wrong. Make a case for both sides and then choose which side you want to join.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Platform: Ninjatrader, MT4
Broker: IB, Global Prime
Trading: Futures CFDs
Thanks Given: 975
Thanks Received: 637

josh View Post
Just stop. Breathe. I post because I care, really and truly.

Your charts from before show you have a difficult time accepting a loss. You fade strength. There can be many reasons for this, but given your defensive attitude earlier on this thread, you seem to have a hard time taking criticism. This loosely translates to thinking you know better than others and wanting to be right. This makes it hard to take a loss.

I challenge you to not look at the market for 24 hours. Then I challenge you to look at it but not trade for 24 hours. Your name alone indicates you are an addict. If you trade live right now without making changes, you'll have the same result as you did before--blow up. You can't wait to get back in there... but you're getting back in there without changing anything, and you're going to get your ass handed to you again unless you do.

I went through all of this shit years ago. You have to be honest with yourself before you can even remotely dream of consistency in trading. Right now you are in no position to succeed. Not trying to be a trading coach here, because I have too much shit to work on myself. Just trying to point out in a friendly but straightforward way what many people reading this journal (who've been trading for a while) are thinking.

Great post. Great advice. And you couldn't be more right. And I absolutely appreciate it!

I do fade strength. I have been VERY successful on sim. I understand that that means nothing!

My issue is when I compare live to sim they are completely different... COMPLETELY!!! Not talking results I'm talking actual trading.

Its like the sim sets me up for failure. I need to practice and lose more real money. Its the only way!

Its not that I won't take criticism. Yours seemed very AUTHENTIC compared to some.

Im here and TRYING to be honest with my faults. As I CAN SEE them as well. I find I make SOOOO many errors live. And as soon as I got live!

And your are RIGHT I can cut losers SO easily on the sim. But I usually don't! And when I go live ALL I hear in my head is all the BS I've been taught over the years...

ONLY Tight stops...
ONLY 2/1...
Let your winners ride (whatever the f**k that means)
Cut your losses (again whatever the fuck that means)
Only buy on pullback (cause those are always completely obvious)

I really started WELL. The confidence was there. That is the only thing I seem to not be able to control when it gets outta hand... And it gets so out of hand.

Then I got ATTACKED ON HERE to top it off and everything came rushing back. The fear... the your NOT trading like your SUPPOSED to again (WHATEVER THE F**k THAT MEANS). Ill show him... bla bla bla...

Theres a huge difference between indignity and helpful advice and understanding.

I don't know why but his ONE poster PUT ME ON TILT. NO QUESTION!

I came in here to discuss. Trade ideas. Get USEFUL feedback. And as a distraction so I can watch my trades without getting TOO distracted and micro managing.

Im also shamed to be a trader as what kind of a trader doesn't make money after 6 years and I just lost another HUGE chunk.

You also get these guys coming on YOUR journal to tell you they have it all figured out and your just doing it wrong with NO PRUDENT ADVICE AT ALL!

Its ALWAYS extra money but its in the 10's of thousands and counting...

I really don't care so much about this board anymore anyway. Its been along time since started talking to anyone online or any communities as they always seem to be festering grounds for these people.

I DO WISH YOU the best! And thank you for your kind words.

I'm going to keep at it cause I am a trading addict. And I will figure it out one day for myself. Or not. Whatever. But it probably won't be on here.

Good trading to you!

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Pa Dax View Post
I agree with @josh here @Sandpaddict - it's all showing red lights to us experienced traders. Futures.io is a house of respect, camaraderie and support and as such @josh and I, (and others that have been biting their tongue) think we should post.
The general erraticness, the obsessive use of Caps Lock (capitals in my mind always sound like someone's screaming), the addict in the user name, you are trading to make brokers happy. Let me say it this way: I've never seen someone like that be successful, prove me wrong please.

You say you're learning from Al Brooks, and you acknowledge that psychology is an issue for you. Then why not focus a little on Al's personality when he's trading or talking. Calm, boring and a man who can put you to sleep by his video's. But also with lots of analysis, reason, arguments for bears, arguments for bulls, etc. He seems very rational, just as a @Big Mike or a @josh here. That to me is the perfect example of how you want your personality to be whilst trading. Don't be right, don't be wrong. Make a case for both sides and then choose which side you want to join.

Thank you Pa Dax.

All this feedback is what I was hoping for in the beginning.

Of course this is all stuff I KNOW.

Once I go live it all goes out the window. And I have to stop trading now because Im upset and can't trade for myself anymore.

It's the back again the wall have to prove myself attitude thats destroying me and my account.

It sounds silly but I cannot trade without trying to prove a guy that attacked me on here wrong. Thats just the stupidest way to trade in the world!

I would give the SAME ADVICE you guys are giving to me... to me!!!

I do alot of ALL CAPS. Thats just me. Im not Al Brooks. Never going to be Al Brooks. But your point is clear! And you couldn't be more right.

Im NOT comfortable trading right now.

I can spout off... here's a high two buy signal (more reliable) after a pullback to the moving average after a high one spike and channel for a measured move up. Stop one tick above signal bar high. Understanding ALL that doesn't help me trade ONE BIT!

Wheres my confidence in that?

Its not about the money at all for me which maybe is an issue. Its the not getting the same rhythm and confidence I have on the sim.

In retrospect my live trading looks ridiculous but I DON'T SEE ANYONE SUCCESSFUL POSTING THEIR TRADES. I'm sure everyones a successful swing trader.(Im sure there must be some on here and maybe others can point out.)

Please my frustration is with MYSELF and if you heard anything negative it was not against you. Just having a tough time as I cant give up but I can't go forward.

Thank you again. Means ALOT!!! (theres those damn caps again lol)

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

I would appreciate actual feedback if anyone has any suggestions.

I appreciate generalities but as its NOT my knowledge its my actions that need correcting.

I have a belief that entries don't mean NOTHING. And I mean nothing.

I don't know why but I truly believe that. So it comes down to probabilities. But of course the market is always changing its flow so even those don't mean anything.

I know its the relationship BETWEEN my entries and exits. But I find I switch from 1/2 2/1 seemingly at the wrong time everytime.

My problem as well is those that give generally known advice have NO advice.

Question if anyones sees this?

-Whats your general R/R?

-Whats your normal entry? Stop? Limit? Inside/outside range? Above/below bars. Breakouts, failures? Purely discretionary, systematic, both?

-Whats your target based on? Measured moves? R/R? Previous highs/lows.

If I had myself standing over myself I don't even know how Id react to seeing myself trade. Was that a bad decision or just a bad decision at the time?

I base every trade on its own merrits. Thats why I dont understand ONLY ONE TRADE A DAY???

Your going to win or lose. So how is that different from taking ten trades a day. I've done that too. It only drains your account slower over time.

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Back on sim as I basically blew account again. Being absolutely stupid. No question just stupid!!! But instantly I can see clearly. Im trading scared obviously.

Its quite clear why I lost so much. Im so focused on R/R and so focused on what Im supposed to do I lose sight of the market and the size of the volatility.

My R/R is not dynamic enough. My stop are either too close or too far. And they are based ON ME trying to find some kind of system when for me I know that doesnt work.

New plan. Stay back on sim for now and try trading volatility vs R/R.

It's not that you don't know! Its that you have to practice till its second nature. And you stop doing stupid stupid things! Clearly I didnt have enough confidence to go live yet.

Get it down first again!

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Sandpaddict View Post
Back on sim as I basically blew account again. Being absolutely stupid. No question just stupid!!! But instantly I can see clearly. Im trading scared obviously.

Serious question: do you want to actually take a positive step towards improvement? If you say yes and you mean it, I will recommend something to you. I'm requiring an answer from you first before telling you so that you will commit to the notion that you do indeed want to improve. Maybe you don't and you just enjoy excitement, which is fine of course.

Thanked by:

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

josh View Post
Serious question: do you want to actually take a positive step towards improvement? If you say yes and you mean it, I will recommend something to you. I'm requiring an answer from you first before telling you so that you will commit to the notion that you do indeed want to improve. Maybe you don't and you just enjoy excitement, which is fine of course.

I do. I know %100 that IM doing this to myself.

*addendum*

What I said is true. Of course I want to be successful... But your right. Maybe I really just want to play the game which I believe is also true. So YES I want to be able to stay in the game. Enough to be able to play. And my ridiculous antics show I'm not ready to go live yet.

So maybe not? I dont know?

Honestly just not sure other than I know I'm going to keep playing anyway. Just hoping to mitigate my mistakes/risk at least enough to stay in the game.

Right now if I put money in I blow it so no point in super capitalizing my account.

So whatever advice is great and I appreciate it.

Other than than that I guess grab the popcorn. (Which I thought was hilarious by the way! )

Thank you for taking the time to post here. It already means alot to me.

*addendum 2*

Taking josh advice.

1. NO trading tomorrow, don't even look at markets!

2. Watch but trade NOTHING on Monday.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Sandpaddict View Post
I do. I know %100 that IM doing this to myself.

Here you go:

josh View Post
I challenge you to not look at the market for 24 hours. Then I challenge you to look at it but not trade for 24 hours.

Tomorrow, don't look at the market. Forget about it. Don't look at a chart, don't look at a quote, don't look at a web site that tells you how the market is doing.

Monday, open your trading platform, keep it open, but find something else at your desk to keep you occupied. Read some articles, do whatever it is you do for work, watch some youtube videos, play with your dog, whatever. But don't take a trade, not even on sim. Don't stay glued to the market, but don't ignore it either. Just let it be there.

You can do either of these two things:
1) accept the advice of an outsider who has an incomplete but objective view of you, based on what you've said/posted
2) ignore this, and do it your way

If you accept the challenge, let's talk Monday after the close. If not, good luck!

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

josh View Post
Here you go:

Tomorrow, don't look at the market. Forget about it. Don't look at a chart, don't look at a quote, don't look at a web site that tells you how the market is doing.

Monday, open your trading platform, keep it open, but find something else at your desk to keep you occupied. Read some articles, do whatever it is you do for work, watch some youtube videos, play with your dog, whatever. But don't take a trade, not even on sim. Don't stay glued to the market, but don't ignore it either. Just let it be there.

You can do either of these two things:
1) accept the advice of an outsider who has an incomplete but objective view of you, based on what you've said/posted
2) ignore this, and do it your way

If you accept the challenge, let's talk Monday after the close. If not, good luck!

Wow. Beautiful.

You said it. I can take the advice of someone thats objective and trying to be helpful based on what I've said...

Or I can continue what Im doing.

And I see the logic in what you are saying as well.

Your ON!

Thank you for taking the time to read and post here. It's not unnoticed that it took the time to do that.

NO markets tomorrow!!!

NO trading Monday!

Thanks again josh!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 15, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts