NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Bookmap vs Jigsaw Daytradr

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Flyer873 with 16 posts (75 thanks)
    2. looks_two Bookmap with 13 posts (28 thanks)
    3. looks_3 matteo83 with 8 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 josh with 5 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Flyer873 with 4.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rainmakersg with 2.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Bookmap with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 matteo83 with 1.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 79,538 views
    2. thumb_up 220 thanks given
    3. group 378 followers
    1. forum 98 posts
    2. attach_file 14 attachments

Search this Thread

Bookmap vs Jigsaw Daytradr

shokunin 
Manchester, United Kingdom

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Optimus Futures, Rithmic, Denali
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 157

Bookmap View Post
Hi Shokunin,

I just wanted to inform you in the next release of Bookmap (7.2), you'll have the ability to drag the chart up and down, without the need to change the scale or to click on the dragging hand tool button. I believe this might solve your chart scaling issue for order entry within Bookmap. We plan to release 7.2 in Aug. Keep your eyes peeled!

regards,

Bruce
The Bookmap Team

That sounds good!

Are trailing stops and trailing limit orders fully handled server side with Rithmic, or is the trailing move managed client side by Bookmap?

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks
 shokunin 

IconBob View Post
"Bookmap needs to run on a local PC with a graphics card for smooth scrolling and fast zooming. It doesn't run well on a remote desktop."

For the past 8 months, I've run Bookmap on a CME collocated server with no performance issues. Bookmap's Time and Sales speed is faster than other platforms I've

used based on visual observation. Most notably Siera Chart with Denali and Rithmic data feeds. I don't recall a Jigsaw comparison.

Valid point that Bookmap DOM spacing can be an issue so I use the Bookmap DOM in conjunction with Rithmic R-Trade Pro DOM to trade.

18 months ago I ran Jigsaw on a collocated server and in my experience it consumed more resources than I thought it should for its functionality.

And most importantly Bookmap has an MBO stop and iceberg indicator.

Poor choice of words on my part. Bookmap runs fine of course on a remote server, the performance issue I experience comes in getting Bookmap's highly graphical GUI back over RDP or ICA to my local desktop. It is usable if I just sit and watch it, but as soon as I want to zoom in or scroll around, it is very laggy. Running on my local PC by comparison is silky smooth.

Because Jigsaw is mainly text based, it is more optimised for RDP and therefore I don't notice any lag working remotely.

Rithmic R-Trader Pro would be fine but I don't like auto-centering, and when I turn off auto-centering all the numbers disappear. I don't really understand Rithmic's logic behind that decision. Also, I like my DOM to be synced to a chart, so the candles line up with the ladder. I find that makes it easier to see where to click rather than referencing numbers.

Thanked by:

Bookmap  Bookmap is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 173

shokunin View Post
That sounds good!

Are trailing stops and trailing limit orders fully handled server side with Rithmic, or is the trailing move managed client side by Bookmap?

Hi shokunin,

In Bookmap connected to Rithmic, Bracketed Orders, Trailing Stops, and OCO's are handled Server Side. More info here on all data providers.

regards,

Bruce
The Bookmap Team

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 shokunin 

I've been trying Bookmap for placing orders to see if I could use it as a future replacement to Jigsaw.

What does "Disable Modality" do?

I have "Display x icon for order cancellation" ticked, but I don't see any X. The only way I can cancel a specific order is to middle-click on the chart. Where is the X?

I can't seem to be able to drag an order to a new price level using the DOM - it only seems to work using the chart.

How do I change the size of a waiting order from the DOM (without using the chart)?

I have Order Queue enabled, but I don't see my estimated position in the queue. It just shows for example "BL 1" but no position.

Thanks.

Thanked by:

shokunin View Post
I've been trying Bookmap for placing orders to see if I could use it as a future replacement to Jigsaw.

What does "Disable Modality" do?

I have "Display x icon for order cancellation" ticked, but I don't see any X. The only way I can cancel a specific order is to middle-click on the chart. Where is the X?

I can't seem to be able to drag an order to a new price level using the DOM - it only seems to work using the chart.

How do I change the size of a waiting order from the DOM (without using the chart)?

I have Order Queue enabled, but I don't see my estimated position in the queue. It just shows for example "BL 1" but no position.

Thanks.

Hi shokunin,

Disable Modality when checked means you will get a pop up window to confirm a trade, but you don't need to actually click to close that pop up confirmation in order to continue with he trading activity. Please disregard it for the moment, there is a small bug we need to correct with this functionality.

When trading from the DOM by default, you set order via the BID and ASK columns. You then manage the trades via the BUY and SELL columns, where you can left click on it and change the size, hover over it and see the red "X" to cancel it, and left click hold and move the order. Please watch this video.

The Order Queue finction only works in the COB column at the moment. We are addressing this issue is upcoming Bookmap releases so that you will also see it in the DOM.

I think this addresses all of your questions. Let me know if you need further assistance.

regards,

Bruce
The Bookmap Team

Thanked by:
 shokunin 

Bookmap View Post
When trading from the DOM by default, you set order via the BID and ASK columns. You then manage the trades via the BUY and SELL columns, where you can left click on it and change the size, hover over it and see the red "X" to cancel it, and left click hold and move the order.

This is how I thought it should work. But on my version, when I hover over the order (as per your video) I see the border of the cell change, but I don't see any X appear and neither can I drag the order.

Thanked by:

shokunin View Post
This is how I thought it should work. But on my version, when I hover over the order (as per your video) I see the border of the cell change, but I don't see any X appear and neither can I drag the order.

Hi shokunin,

Perhaps you need to upgrade to the latest 7.1 alpha build? This is the proper behavior.

regards,

Bruce
The Bookmap Team

Thanked by:
 Flyer873 
Gainesville, Texas/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: OFA, Jigsaw, Bookmap
Trading: Anything that moves
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 89

I had someone ask me if you can see Liquidity on BookMap from a level on my chart.
The Trade I was making was a VWAP re-test. On the first picture I noticed that we had gone down through the VWAP and I wanted to retest that area...11661.00 and as you can see on Book map chart, second picture, you can see that liquidity, We re-tested I placed my order and set my stop above 11662. My next stop was I wanted to be out of the trad before the Globex VAL at 11604.00.
Anyway You guys get it. I'm just saying look at your chart and know where you want to take a trade and see off Bookmap if anyone else is thinking the same thing.
Flyer873https://nexusfi.com/images/smilies/ammo/crazy_pilot.gif

matteo83 
San Escobar

Experience: Intermediate
Broker: Denali/Rythmic
Trading: Futures & options
Thanks Given: 31
Thanks Received: 54

Flyer873 View Post
I had someone ask me if you can see Liquidity on BookMap from a level on my chart.
The Trade I was making was a VWAP re-test. On the first picture I noticed that we had gone down through the VWAP and I wanted to retest that area...11661.00 and as you can see on Book map chart, second picture, you can see that liquidity, We re-tested I placed my order and set my stop above 11662. My next stop was I wanted to be out of the trad before the Globex VAL at 11604.00.
Anyway You guys get it. I'm just saying look at your chart and know where you want to take a trade and see off Bookmap if anyone else is thinking the same thing.
Flyer873https://nexusfi.com/images/smilies/ammo/crazy_pilot.gif

At some point you will discover that reliable liquidity will show up near pivot highs and lows and near fib levels of significant moves or near century figures.

You don't need bookmap to perdict where they will be waiting.

And most of the visible liquidity in between major pivots is either spoofed or insignificant, you get absolutely no edge by watching it since most of it will never be traded

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

matzero View Post
At some point you will discover that reliable liquidity will show up near pivot highs and lows and near fib levels of significant moves or near century figures.

You don't need bookmap to perdict where they will be waiting.

And most of the visible liquidity in between major pivots is either spoofed or insignificant, you get absolutely no edge by watching it since most of it will never be traded

Hi matzero,

In general, there is typically liquidity around key levels such as big figures, and significant highs and lows. However, it this is not always the case and is a dangerous assumption that can lead to massive surprises; it is simply not as straightforward as this. There are multiple examples, such as a spike in price, where important liquidity supports price at pullback levels that have no reference to key levels such as ONH, VAH/VAL/POC, low/high volume nodes, etc. Or perhaps there is no liquidity at a retest of a century figure nor a Low Volume Node; this allows larger players to easily push price through these areas. This is the nature of the markets and orderflow. Insight to liquidity at these levels will give you an edge over simply relying on the assumption of the presence of liquidity at key levels. Flyer873 has an approach that is hard to knock, why not align your strategies with verifiable levels of high liquidity within Bookmap's heatmap and know for sure?

regards,

Bruce
The Bookmap Team

Last Updated on September 1, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts