NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Risk of trading micro futures

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one lostboy with 10 posts (8 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 4 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Blash with 3 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 DavidCarmichael with 1 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 2.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Blash with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 DavidCarmichael with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 lostboy with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,475 views
    2. thumb_up 27 thanks given
    3. group 9 followers
    1. forum 22 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Risk of trading micro futures

Blash 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Market Chamois

Experience: None
Platform: NT8,NT7,TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, S5T, IQFeed
Trading: The one I'm creating in the present....Index Futures mini/micro, ZF
Thanks Given: 7,341
Thanks Received: 4,518

Here is a perfect example that just happened.

https://www.financemagnates.com/forex/brokers/interactive-brokers-loss-from-oil-collapse-swelled-to-104-million/amp/

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using futures.io

...My calamity is My providence, outwardly it is fire and vengeance, but inwardly it is light and mercy...
The steed of this Valley is pain; and if there be no pain this journey will never end.
Buy Low And Sell High (read left to right or right to left....lol)
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
24 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
lostboy
Denpasar+Indonesia

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 8

That was quite an extreme situation!

Thanked by:
lostboy
Denpasar+Indonesia

Thanks for sharing the article

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

lostboy View Post
Basically I`m aware of the risk envolved in trading… I`m just wondering, how it can be possible to lose an amount greater then my deposit? If Im setting a stop loss and follow a risk management system?

Could anyone explane that to me pls?

It's a general disclosure. Not everyone uses a stop loss, and not everyone manages risk. When you open a position on margin, by definition you are effectively being 'loaned' money, and if the market does move quickly, you can be in a position such that your total loss is greater than what you have put up for margin. In this case, you will need to deposit funds to cover the margin.

In practice, most brokers will never let this happen and you will be automatically liquidated. Note this is only an issue really if you are really close to your max margin. For example, a broker gives $50 MES daytrade margin. You have a $1000 account. You foolishly open 20 contracts, which is the max allowable ($1000 / $50 => 20 contracts). If the market moves 10 handles against you, you will have no money left (-10 handles * $5 / handle * 20 contracts => -$1000) and will be auto-liquidated. In practice, they will liquidate you before this, as they require a minimum buffer, probably around $500.

Thanked by:
lostboy
Denpasar+Indonesia

josh View Post
It's a general disclosure.

Thats what I thought. But wanted to be sure about it after I read their disclouser statment

lostboy
Denpasar+Indonesia

josh View Post

In practice, most brokers will never let this happen and you will be automatically liquidated. Note this is only an issue really if you are really close to your max margin. For example, a broker gives $50 MES daytrade margin. You have a $1000 account. You foolishly open 20 contracts, which is the max allowable ($1000 / $50 => 20 contracts). If the market moves 10 handles against you, you will have no money left (-10 handles * $5 / handle * 20 contracts => -$1000) and will be auto-liquidated. In practice, they will liquidate you before this, as they require a minimum buffer, probably around $500.

Thanks for the detailed example!

Thanked by:

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader, MT4
Broker: IB, Global Prime
Trading: Futures CFDs
Thanks Given: 975
Thanks Received: 637

Blash View Post
I will never forget the Flash Crash of May 6 2010. I was in the kitchen on the phone with Interactive Brokers and I saw, before my eyes, the Dow drop 700 points in just a couple of seconds.

I screamed.........lol.....

Ron

Wow that must have been crazy. But you never mentioned... were you long, short, flat?

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
raskol
Chicago

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

slippage is definitely something to keep in mind especially when trading thinly traded contracts. Trading mini crude oil during an EIA number can cause a big loss... or big profit.

Billiwon 
Los Angeles, California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Index futures, etc.
Thanks Given: 93
Thanks Received: 26

Blash View Post
Markets can move....sometimes in extreme volatility situations there may not be anyone to take the other side of your trade nearby the price you want. Might be VERY far away.

If you get out like this the distance from entry might be greater than your account balance. BOOM, you now owe your broker more money than your account had.

Times like these are rare ... but can happen...hence the text from your brokers account opening papers.

Ron

Besides slippage adding to your stop loss, a stop loss may or may not stop your loss at where you wanted it. How is your stop loss order triggered, by a bar finishing on your chart, crossing over something? What if there is a data burst, or a data delay? And where is the stop loss order residing? On your computer, at the broker's server or exchange ? If you read the disclaimer you signed when opening the account with your broker, it says you are responsible for any problem due to computer, power outage, internet .. etc. So your stop loss order may not function as planned when something happens. These don't happen often, but can ...

Billiwon

Mozart2112
Minoqua Wi USA

Thanks Given: 68
Thanks Received: 82

lostboy View Post
That was exactly the Information I was looking for! Now I got it

Thanks a lot

Just keep in mind leverage works both ways, to the upside and to the downside so you want to not over do it on the lot size especially in illiquid contracts.

Last Updated on May 24, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts