NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading 14 ADX with 20 ema

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one benharrell with 4 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 brevco with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 perryg with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one perryg with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Jeff Castille with 0.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Dragon with 0.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 benharrell with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 18,621 views
    2. thumb_up 6 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 13 posts
    2. attach_file 9 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading 14 ADX with 20 ema

perryg 
Rechovot

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: CQG
Trading: Index,Currency and Energy futures
Thanks Given: 508
Thanks Received: 6,288

brevco View Post
I have been using the above setup with a multi-colored ADX histogram. With the help of mrLogik, the attached iADX turns magenta when the ADX is above the 50 threshold. (I use a very short setting of 5 for daytrading/scalping.) The parameters for the threshold and colors can be changed in the indicator window.

Also attached is the multi-colored ADX line which I super-impose on top of the iADX for a better visual effect (see attached screenshot).

Thank you, Big Mike, for a great website!

Try using the DM indicator together with the ADX multicolor. The DM is much more accurate and useful. When you get a crossover of the 2 lines your have a move up or a move down. See attached chart from 6E today

The Adx indicator is really a function of the DM, so that the DM is more reliable and gives the better signal.

When the Blue is above the Red you have a long, and when the Red is above the Blue you have a short

Another thing is that if the ADX is ABOVE BOTH DM lines we are topping out or bottoming out, and usually when the ADX then turns down, we have the top/bottom. When the ADX is BELOW both DM lines we are in a CHOP mode. Watch these little things as they can give a lot of information of the upcoming price action .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DMplus and ADX.png
Views:	595
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	15215  
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
11 thanks
 brevco 
Denham Springs, LA

Platform: Amibroker / Ninja Trader
Broker: Mirus Zenfire
Trading: TF 6E NQ
Thanks Given: 259
Thanks Received: 187

Thank you, Perryg:

As a matter of fact, I do use the DM superimposed on top of the ADX histogram with a setting of 5. The lower threshold is 20 and I don't take a trade unless both the DM and the ADX are above 20.

I notice you are using something called a DMplus. Is this version available on a forum? For some reason, the default DM in NT doesn't seem to plot correctly. I also use Amibroker and there is a difference between the Amibroker and NT DM indicator. I like the appearance of your DMplus.

One of the things I watch for is for the DMI below the lower threshold of 20 to be "flat" or smooth....as the ADX moves up, it forms a sideways "v" with the DMI below the lower threshold. This shows me the breakouts from consolidation. (see attached screenshot)

The explanation for trading the magenta histogram can be found at tradershelpdesk.com. She uses this setup (with her own version of the ADX histogram) and calls it a "free money" trade. It is very accurate.

I am used to trading with the DMI lines instead of a DM histogram (as in the website mentioned above), so that is why I've been searching for better, smoother version of the DMI. For now, I am working with the NT default DM.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: DMI NT.doc

perryg 
Rechovot

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: CQG
Trading: Index,Currency and Energy futures
Thanks Given: 508
Thanks Received: 6,288

brevco View Post
Thank you, Perryg:

As a matter of fact, I do use the DM superimposed on top of the ADX histogram with a setting of 5. The lower threshold is 20 and I don't take a trade unless both the DM and the ADX are above 20.

I notice you are using something called a DMplus. Is this version available on a forum? For some reason, the default DM in NT doesn't seem to plot correctly. I also use Amibroker and there is a difference between the Amibroker and NT DM indicator. I like the appearance of your DMplus.

One of the things I watch for is for the DMI below the lower threshold of 20 to be "flat" or smooth....as the ADX moves up, it forms a sideways "v" with the DMI below the lower threshold. This shows me the breakouts from consolidation. (see attached screenshot)

The explanation for trading the magenta histogram can be found at tradershelpdesk.com. She uses this setup (with her own version of the ADX histogram) and calls it a "free money" trade. It is very accurate.

I am used to trading with the DMI lines instead of a DM histogram (as in the website mentioned above), so that is why I've been searching for better, smoother version of the DMI. For now, I am working with the NT default DM.

I am attaching the DMPlus_v1 for your use. Hope it helps.

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: DMplus_v1.zip
 brevco 
Denham Springs, LA

Platform: Amibroker / Ninja Trader
Broker: Mirus Zenfire
Trading: TF 6E NQ
Thanks Given: 259
Thanks Received: 187

I appreciate it very much. Thank you, Perryg.

Last Updated on June 12, 2010

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts