NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

VPS Recommendation

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one planetkill with 4 posts (3 thanks)
    2. looks_two sam028 with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 paps with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 sienna with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 5,575 views
    2. thumb_up 5 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 11 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

VPS Recommendation

zazzi
London UK

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Dear All,

Any recommendations for an "economic" VPS (Speedytraders is too pricy) - purely for order execution (I will run backtesting on another VPS) so uptime is critical (not so much processor speed).

Low latency would be good but the strategies (for now) are on daily timeframes with minimum 1 day holds on futures/ETFs - maybe a 4-5 trades a day max and broker would be Tradestation.

In the future, I'd look to use IBKR and perhaps shorter timeframes but that is not on the horizon for the next few months at least.

I am based in the U.K.

Thanks,

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Could it be that currency futures are way easier to trade?
Currencies

raining
london, UK

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 1

zazzi View Post
Dear All,

Any recommendations for an "economic" VPS (Speedytraders is too pricy) - purely for order execution (I will run backtesting on another VPS) so uptime is critical (not so much processor speed).

Low latency would be good but the strategies (for now) are on daily timeframes with minimum 1 day holds on futures/ETFs - maybe a 4-5 trades a day max and broker would be Tradestation.

In the future, I'd look to use IBKR and perhaps shorter timeframes but that is not on the horizon for the next few months at least.

I am based in the U.K.

Thanks,

I have had good experiences with fx oriented VPS in new york such as forexvps.net or newyorkcityservers.com.

planetkill 
New York City + NY/United States

Thanks Given: 108
Thanks Received: 311

In the past I posted in my trading journal paying over $200/month for Azure servers, but over the last couple of months have moved over to https://www.ninjamobiletrader.com/. They provide the same service as speedytradingservers for half the cost. Switching has proven to be the best decision I've made.

zazzi View Post
Dear All,

I am based in the U.K.

Thanks,

sam028 
Site Moderator

Thanks Given: 3,825
Thanks Received: 4,629

planetkill View Post
In the past I posted in my trading journal paying over $200/month for Azure servers, but over the last couple of months have moved over to https://www.ninjamobiletrader.com/. They provide the same service as speedytradingservers for half the cost. Switching has proven to be the best decision I've made.

Interesting, aren't you affiliated with https://www.ninjamobiletrader.com/
Because this web site has been updated with your comments almost instantly.
At least you could have avoided obvious plagiarism, and not copy/paste the pictures and text from speedytradingservers.

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 planetkill 

I'm not affiliated at all, but they did ask me for my review and said it could be used in promotional materials. I didn't realize they would use it on their website immediately... I must be one of their first customers. But overall I am still a happy customer because as you can see from my journal and previous posts on VPS, I was paying over $200 per month for Azure. This is basically the same thing but for a fraction of the cost.

I also trialed speedytradingservers before switching off Azure, and it was also cheaper than Azure but I didn't like that it wasn't a US based company but then I found ninjamobiletrader through the https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/

For me it's all about the cost because having used multiple different VPS providers, all the services are more or less the same like a commodity. So I just look at the server specs vs price, and these guys offer much more RAM for a lower cost. Everything else like stability and connection speeds were the same.

sam028 View Post
Interesting, aren't you affiliated with https://www.ninjamobiletrader.com/
Because this web site has been updated with your comments almost instantly.
At least you could have avoided obvious plagiarism, and not copy/paste the pictures and text from speedytradingservers.

sam028 
Site Moderator

planetkill View Post
I'm not affiliated at all, but they did ask me for my review and said it could be used in promotional materials. I didn't realize they would use it on their website immediately... I must be one of their first customers. But overall I am still a happy customer because as you can see from my journal and previous posts on VPS, I was paying over $200 per month for Azure. This is basically the same thing but for a fraction of the cost.

I also trialed speedytradingservers before switching off Azure, and it was also cheaper than Azure but I didn't like that it wasn't a US based company but then I found ninjamobiletrader through the https://ninjatraderecosystem.com/

For me it's all about the cost because having used multiple different VPS providers, all the services are more or less the same like a commodity. So I just look at the server specs vs price, and these guys offer much more RAM for a lower cost. Everything else like stability and connection speeds were the same.

And they monitor public reviews in real-time to update their web site in real time?
And also monitor my comments and remove the most obvious screenshot took from Speedy and replace it instantly from one from another VPS provider(this one)?
No Ph.D needed to understand that's it's highly unlikely...

Hard to know if this is an US based company: DNS registered in Panama, no company's name/physical address or any kind of registration number, no phone number, no email address, ...

Thanked by:

paps 
SF Bay Area + CA/US

Experience: None
Platform: TS, TOS, Ninja(Analytics)
Trading: NQ CL, ES when volatile mrkts
Thanks Given: 2,176
Thanks Received: 1,726

to the OP....am not sure. have not done much hosting. I though have not done VPS or a full server as my needs are not that much.

Only thought came to mind was service when i need it. From that perspective i have speedy at back of mind since they are approcahble, though honestly i do also have amazon pay as u grow perhaps. but when rubber meets the road & i can either get so much traffic....what will count to me will be support rather than anything else. I wont be doing this from a trading perspective, i do not think i have need for it. what i may need is if i have to show my stuff. i currently have no idea on performance benchmarks....but when it comes to that......if i make...i have 0 qualms about a service provider making a few of that.

WIll see....i am currentl on a shared inmotion hosting but i know...if i wish to achieve what i wish to....it cannot be shared. But will see if traffic comes in....i will switch. Am currently low scale......just starting...so infact it will be interest which will dictate my next steps.

am pretty sure...there are quite some standard questions one can come up with...and not only questions. what is the uptime guarantee....what is the failover mechanism/raid etc etc...
hence to OP....i dont think anything is pricey. Is a lambo more pricey than a tesla or a toyota..hell ya. but can a lambo be justified? i would say just the sound of it...yes. We normally get what what we pay for. thats how the business community works?....would u agree?u need to think of uptime, failove mechanism, etc. etc....and you should quite frankly instument those and see...who gives u the service. that will tell you what u r paying for.? there is no free lunch in life & in business.

planetkill 

It's possible because they did ask me if I would leave a review, but like I said I'm not affiliated and wasn't compensated in any way (although now I think I should have asked for a free month or something).

Sorry if I broke any rules leaving my honest opinion, but I also see that speedytradingservers is in your bio and I understand if you want to remove the posts. Either way, I don't have a dog in the fight.

sam028 View Post
And they monitor public reviews in real-time to update their web site in real time?
And also monitor my comments and remove the most obvious screenshot took from Speedy and replace it instantly from one from another VPS provider(this one)?
No Ph.D needed to understand that's it's highly unlikely...

Hard to know if this is an US based company: DNS registered in Panama, no company's name/physical address or any kind of registration number, no phone number, no email address, ...

Thanked by:
 sienna 
Melbourne, Australia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage
Trading: Many
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 281
Thanks Received: 124

raining View Post
I have had good experiences with fx oriented VPS in new york such as forexvps.net or newyorkcityservers.com.

Raining
For what it's worth, this was my experience with newyorkcityservers after 1 month of SIM trading on their VPS... to check stability and capacity. The company sent me an email on October 15th 2021:

"This notification is to inform you that there has been an unexpected restart of your VPS, caused by a hardware failure. On October 15th at 9:45 AM EST our system detected that the server your VPS is on suffered from a hardware failure event. We worked immediately to resolve the problem, and your VPS is now back online. Note - this event caused your VPS to restart, and you will need to login and start your software again. We apologize for any inconvenience this event has caused, and we will continue to monitor the server going forward. You can reply directly to this message if you have any questions."

In addition there was a request a few days ago to update Windows, which I proceeded to do. Had to close my platforms and the update was smooth. However I don't want to be in a position where I need to do any updates (maybe I'm being totally unrealistic)

So my confidence is not high in this VPS and I am considering other options.

sam028 
Site Moderator

sienna View Post
Raining
For what it's worth, this was my experience with newyorkcityservers after 1 month of SIM trading on their VPS... to check stability and capacity. The company sent me an email on October 15th 2021:

"This notification is to inform you that there has been an unexpected restart of your VPS, caused by a hardware failure. On October 15th at 9:45 AM EST our system detected that the server your VPS is on suffered from a hardware failure event. We worked immediately to resolve the problem, and your VPS is now back online. Note - this event caused your VPS to restart, and you will need to login and start your software again. We apologize for any inconvenience this event has caused, and we will continue to monitor the server going forward. You can reply directly to this message if you have any questions."

In addition there was a request a few days ago to update Windows, which I proceeded to do. Had to close my platforms and the update was smooth. However I don't want to be in a position where I need to do any updates (maybe I'm being totally unrealistic)

So my confidence is not high in this VPS and I am considering other options.

No comment on the server's crash, with this kind of prices it's not surprising, but how could they know you didn't had the last updates? And why ask you to install theses updates, when there's currently no Windows critical threats?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 2, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts