NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

I need help with ... (ask any question)

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 153 posts (94 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 88 posts (82 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Philip Hutchinson with 10 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 9 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 3.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Daytrader999 with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 103,696 views
    2. thumb_up 387 thanks given
    3. group 325 followers
    1. forum 587 posts
    2. attach_file 42 attachments

Search this Thread

I need help with ... (ask any question)

cloudhopper 
fayetteville NC

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 1

GoodTrading View Post
In my experience the renko bars have not been very helpful. The big institutions seem to use the 5 min bar charts for there trading algorithms. So, it's much easier to identify trends, channels, wedges, reversals, etc. based on a 5 min chart.

thank you for your help

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
36 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,445
Thanks Received: 26,278

cloudhopper View Post
hi
anyone that can take the time to help a newbie understand the RENKO BARS and the settings for different instruments????thank you so much

cloudhopper View Post
firstly thank you for your answers
second did the renko bars make a better trade

GoodTrading View Post
In my experience the renko bars have not been very helpful. The big institutions seem to use the 5 min bar charts for there trading algorithms. So, it's much easier to identify trends, channels, wedges, reversals, etc. based on a 5 min chart.

@cloudhopper, this is a good question -- actually two good questions: what are renkos and do they help?

@GoodTrading, thanks for giving your thoughts.

Whether they help is really the important question.

In order to expose the question to a larger audience, I am copying @cloudhopper's questions out to a new thread, so there can be more perspectives given on them. The thing is, some who have tried them decided there's nothing there, but others swear by them. A good question is, why are there such differences? And is the type of bar, or the period of a time bar, really an important issue for trading? There are differences on these as well.

You can access the new thread by clicking here:

I hope that there is some interesting discussion from the members in it.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Hammersaw
Raleigh North Carolina

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 5

Hi all.
Been lurking here for 3 months. I've been day trading for almost a year now. Picking up what I can along the way. Some great advice, some not so great. I was lucky long enough the first couple months to figure what I was doing and haven't lost any money. I started out last june with a little under $100k in my account. Today im just over 200k
This is my first and probably my last post.
I am a nubie and ignorant about much. I am still on the up side of the bell curve when learning one thing leads to two more things you know nothing about.
Im no idiot. I've been successful with pretty much whatever I've tried my hands at.
But I have to be honest, you people leave me wondering if maybe I am an idiot.
I can't read or even understand most of what's posted here. Not only is it the terminology that is used, ( tough enough if a glossary existed on the subject)
But its more than that. Its like you have your own language. Its like trying to decipher some obscure dialect of mandarin Chinese. And i swear, some of the threads it like your having a contest who can out tradereez the other with the speak.
I've read books, gone through my brokers libraries, have conversations with friends and acquaintances that i know have been successful investing their money over the years, and have had none of this.

So. My question is this
What's the deal?

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,445
Thanks Received: 26,278

Hammersaw View Post
Hi all.
Been lurking here for 3 months. I've been day trading for almost a year now. Picking up what I can along the way. Some great advice, some not so great. I was lucky long enough the first couple months to figure what I was doing and haven't lost any money. I started out last june with a little under $100k in my account. Today im just over 200k
I am a nubie and ignorant about much. I am still on the up side of the bell curve when learning one thing leads to two more things you know nothing about.
Im no idiot. I've been successful with pretty much whatever I've tried my hands at.
I can't read or even understand most of what's posted here. Not only is it the terminology that is used, ( tough enough if a glossary existed on the subject)
But its more than that. Its like you have your own language. Its like trying to decipher some obscure dialect of mandarin Chinese. And i swear, some of the threads it like your having a contest who can out tradereez the other with the speak.
I've read books, gone through my brokers libraries, have conversations with friends and acquaintances that i know have been successful investing their money over the years, and have had none of this.

So. My question is this
What's the deal?

Well, I'm not sure if this is a question, or an expression of frustration, or just trolling. But I can understand frustration about trying to understand something, so I'll reply to that.

Trading does have its own vocabulary, and futures trading is a particular field that has its particular language, which in some ways is different from other types of trading. There is also a particular context, including the exchanges and the things that are traded and how futures trading is done, that is unique to futures compared to any other type of trading, or anything else, for that matter.

Since the people who are trading here -- or who are trying to learn the various aspects of trading -- are doing futures trading, they are going to use that language and those concepts. If it all seems foreign to you, that is understandable, but it is not done just to frustrate you. The site is for traders, who are going to talk to other traders and who will assume a common world of experience.

All this can be learned. I and every other person here, and anyone who trades futures or anything else, had to learn the ropes, and had to find ways to do that. The internet has information available to people who want to understand the basics. If you have particular questions that can be answered, we can try to help.

If it just seems like Chinese, and if that's the issue, that's not specific enough to respond.

Ask some real questions. If they can be addressed, we will try. In the meantime, you really can learn all you need, or enough to ask answerable questions.

That's the deal.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

richw 
Salt Lake City, UT

Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: CL, ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 2,246
Thanks Received: 1,541

I have a question for you. Why not share what you feel you have learned which allowed you to be successful in what is known to be a very difficult field? You have a chance to be the change you wish to see in the world. The traders participating in this forum are at various stages in their journeys and desire to be successful as you have been. Be one of the sources you wish to see who can explain points related to trading in a clear and educational manner and help others as you sought assistance for yourself. I am sure everyone would be most grateful.

Hammersaw View Post
Hi all.

So. My question is this
What's the deal?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
GoodTrading
Loja, Ecuador

Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 33

Hammersaw View Post
Hi all.

So. My question is this
What's the deal?

The trader jargon takes some time getting used to. I learned the language from Al Brooks' books and video courses. My background is in computer science and mathematics, so learning new programming languages and technical stuff come pretty easy to me. Just stay disciplined and study hard and things will get easier.

Thanked by:
Hammersaw
Raleigh North Carolina

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 5

Trolling no.
Frustrated, yes.
What didn't make any sense is how the language could possibly be so different than stocks.
I apologize for being an ass. I was going to just delete my account and just continue doing what's been working when big mikes 3rd request to participate came through. Thank you for not exchanging a poke for a poke.
Another question if I might...
Because the is terminology is so different,I found that not knowing the meaning to just a few words as a futures trader uses them, understanding the question let alone the answer in a conversation is a guess at best.
Is there a futures trading dictionary or glossary of terms available that you can recommend?
I couldn't find one. At would make all thedifference in the world

Thanked by:
GoodTrading
Loja, Ecuador

Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 33

Hammersaw View Post
Trolling no.
Frustrated, yes.
What didn't make any sense is how the language could possibly be so different than stocks.
I apologize for being an ass. I was going to just delete my account and just continue doing what's been working when big mikes 3rd request to participate came through. Thank you for not exchanging a poke for a poke.
Because the is terminology is so different,I found that not knowing the meaning to just a few words as a futures trader uses them, understanding the question let alone the answer in a conversation is a guess at best.
Is there a futures trading dictionary or glossary of terms available that you can recommend?

Yes, check out the first several pages of Al Brook's books where he goes over the terminology.

Terms

Thanked by:

chipwitch 
Nashville, TN

Experience: Beginner
Broker: NinjaTrader, Continuum Data
Trading: MES for now... baby steps
Thanks Given: 230
Thanks Received: 631

Hammersaw View Post
Trolling no.
Frustrated, yes.

If you're having trouble with the jargon because it's futures and you're used to stocks... it's a different beast. I couldn't imagine trading anything else. There's no "borrowing" something to sell short. High leverage and liquidity (in many markets). It is a derivative, like options. Very abstract. You're trading an actual contract, worthless unto itself, unlike equities, so of course the jargon is different by necessity. I still get lost around Treasuries, with yield and whatnot... another totally different beast.

If you're new and have an interest in futures, I suggest starting with the exchange. CME Group has some great educational resources for free. Videos, courses... all kinds of stuff.

No need to be shy. No poking fun here (maybe if it's good-natured). It's a good group here. You will be welcomed. I only joined a couple months ago myself.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,357

Hammersaw View Post
Hi all.

So. My question is this
What's the deal?

I recommend this to every new futures trader: https://www.amazon.com/TRADERS-FIRST-BOOK-COMMODITIES-EVERYTHING/dp/1948018004

The author, @decarleytrading, is a member here.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Last Updated on February 22, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts