NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

I need help with ... (ask any question)

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 153 posts (94 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 88 posts (82 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Philip Hutchinson with 10 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 9 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 3.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Daytrader999 with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 103,832 views
    2. thumb_up 387 thanks given
    3. group 325 followers
    1. forum 587 posts
    2. attach_file 42 attachments

Search this Thread

I need help with ... (ask any question)

Hammersaw
Raleigh North Carolina

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 5

richw View Post
I have a question for you. Why not share what you feel you have learned which allowed you to be successful in what is known to be a very difficult field? You have a chance to be the change you wish to see in the world. The traders participating in this forum are at various stages in their journeys and desire to be successful as you have been. Be one of the sources you wish to see who can explain points related to trading in a clear and educational manner and help others as you sought assistance for yourself. I am sure everyone would be most grateful.

I would be happy to do that for anyone that might ask.
I have no doubt that my approach of keeping it simple so not to forget just a hand full of basic principals and rules i keep to apply them, would be especially useful to someone just starting out.
Its easy to get caught up spending your time and effort in learning the latest and greatest, and then trying to tweak it when it doesn't work as expected, only to realize later that you forgot a simple rule you learned early on because you vote so caught up in the latest and greatest.
Simple is WAY less stressful. Less stress made life much better and my percentage of profitable trades went up.
What cinched this approach for me was being able to cash in one something that was staring my right in the face the whole time but was too busy to see it.
Probably not the way its works for most people. I see the posts from scalpers all the time. I don't know how they do it.
I would be happier scrubbing toilets

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
38 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
30 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,464
Thanks Received: 26,278

Hammersaw View Post
Trolling no.
Frustrated, yes.
What didn't make any sense is how the language could possibly be so different than stocks.

Fair comment. It is way different, at least some is.

Quoting 
Because the is terminology is so different,I found that not knowing the meaning to just a few words as a futures trader uses them, understanding the question let alone the answer in a conversation is a guess at best.
Is there a futures trading dictionary or glossary of terms available that you can recommend?

That's sort of a tough one. I think that the terminology might be different because at least some of the concepts may be different. For instance, I have seen futures traders become totally confused with stock trading. It is similar, but also not the same, which is probably the biggest problem. (I started in stocks, and I know how weird it can seem over on this side when you first try to figure it out.) I don't have a good suggestion for this. You might try Investopedia, ( https://www.investopedia.com/ ), which has a lot of futures material. I think that mostly it's going to be the concepts that are different and not just the terminology, and that figuring out where the pieces are different will be what helps the most.

Here's a simple example. Stocks are assets. You buy them, and you own them. You will have to pay for them (duh ). You may choose to buy on margin, which means you borrow some of the money for the purchase from your broker, and you put up some of the money. (I know many people never buy stocks on margin -- bear with me, I'm bringing this up to show a difference between stocks and futures.) The amount you put up is "margin." But you buy the shares with the money, and you now own them until you do something with them. You still owe the broker some money if you bought on margin, which you will have to pay back. But you own something.

Futures are not assets. (They are called "derivatives," and they do not exist by themselves.) They are contracts to buy or sell a standardized amount of something at a definite time in the future. You don't buy them. However, you have to put up some money to be in a contract (if you have a contract to buy you are "long", and if it's a contract to sell you are "short", which also have meanings that are not exactly what they are in stocks.) And the money you put up is called.... "margin". Not the same as stock margin, at all. There is no loan. Your margin is just the deposit you've put up to secure the contract. And every single futures contract is entered into using "margin" -- which is nothing at all like what is meant by the term "margin" with stocks.

And when you are long a contract -- that is, when you are in a contract to buy an amount of x commodity or stock index or whatever -- you don't own any of x. You will only own anything if you go to settlement at expiration and buy it then, and then you are going to put up a lot more money than your margin. Most people never do, and just trade the fluctuations and close out before the contract expires at settlement.

I've written this attempting to be as clear as I could, but if your familiarity is mainly with stocks, it might not make any sense at all. And that's the problem. It's a different world, no matter that it does intersect with the stock world in some ways. But if any of this was part of what wasn't clear to you, I hope this filled in something. I have no way of knowing what you may not know, of course.

So:
- Look for something to fill in the gaps. I mentioned Investopedia, and of course there's always Wikipedia. This may be a little hit or miss, or it may be just what you need. Try and see.
- Most people here will be tolerant of someone who asks a question, so when you don't understand something, you can just ask. Most people are pretty decent and will respond. It may take a while and you may feel awkward, but I suggest trying it.
- Realize that when something makes no sense at all, it isn't you nor is it the person you're reading that's at fault -- generally there is a disconnect in some way between the concepts of the two worlds of stocks and futures, as much as the terminology. So again, ask.
- You can use the Search function (top right corner of every page) to see if any threads already exist that cover something you don't know about. Sometimes they do.
- If you find some particular things that puzzle you, you can always just start a new thread and ask the question there. Almost every question gets asked at one time or another.

Take it slow. Little pieces can fit together suddenly if/when a gap you weren't aware of suddenly is filled in.

All this stuff does make sense in its own terms -- otherwise, no one could be doing it, right?

Most of what is posted here on the forum will get read by a moderator at some point. If you have a question, one of us will possibly see it. (I can't guarantee that, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. We help, when we can.)

Good luck, and ask your questions.

Bob.

-------------------

PS, I just read all the other stuff that people were posting while I was writing my long-winded reply. That's all good too. There is a decent, friendly group of people here. We take some pride in that and in the civilized way that people treat each other here. Also, there was a suggestion to look at the CME Group's site (that's the main commodity exchange.) The site can be a little hard to follow, but there are some good videos and explanatory sections there. Try it: https://www.cmegroup.com/

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
mohsin24
Manama and Bahrain

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 0

Hi All,

I trade in crypto, trying to learn TA from here and there... made some money and lost some... still in loss, but i want to be part of this community and learn and earn. hence joined this community and purchased ultlimate indicator polynomial regression channel. But after purchasing i realized it cannot be used in tradingview... wondering what we can do to sort this out... or someone pls correct me if we can really not use in tradingview.

thank you in advance
regards,

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

mohsin24 View Post
Hi All,

I trade in crypto, trying to learn TA from here and there... made some money and lost some... still in loss, but i want to be part of this community and learn and earn. hence joined this community and purchased ultlimate indicator polynomial regression channel. But after purchasing i realized it cannot be used in tradingview... wondering what we can do to sort this out... or someone pls correct me if we can really not use in tradingview.

thank you in advance
regards,

Hi @mohsin24,

Generally, if you have purchased an indicator, you will need to contact the vendor for any information on applying it to other platforms.

Who did you buy it from? What platform is it written for?

Bob.

Amstaff 
Queens, New York United States

I’m genuinely trying to answer a question and then I receive a response telling me I can’t until I have 10 posts. Yet I’m receiving marketing to become Elite. This is very frustrating because I really think I can help this person asking a genuine question. So I move on and I’m finding I can’t offer anyone help until I post 10 times. So I’m guessing that we post in here ten times and then we can help?
Not trying to be a comedian or a smart arse. It just seems to be a catch 22.

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,494
Thanks Received: 15,387

Amstaff View Post
I’m genuinely trying to answer a question and then I receive a response telling me I can’t until I have 10 posts. Yet I’m receiving marketing to become Elite. This is very frustrating because I really think I can help this person asking a genuine question. So I move on and I’m finding I can’t offer anyone help until I post 10 times. So I’m guessing that we post in here ten times and then we can help?

There is a reason for that: spammers and self-promoters.

Quoting 
So I’m guessing that we post in here ten times and then we can help?

Do not post one-liners or nonsensical content just to boost your post count. That is seen as spam/junk content and subject to banning.

Just find some content where you think you can contribute and dig in. You will soon reach 10 posts.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Amstaff View Post

xplorer View Post
There is a reason for that: spammers and self-promoters.

Do not post one-liners or nonsensical content just to boost your post count. That is seen as spam/junk content and subject to banning.

Just find some content where you think you can contribute and dig in. You will soon reach 10 posts.

@Amstaff, you will also find that you need 10 posts in order to post in a vendor or product review thread, but not in a regular thread. This is to prevent self-promotional posts where a vendor posts a good review, recommendation or comment about himself. We want at least to have some history with someone before they can make certain posts. You can make posts in any other type of thread without needing a set number.

As @xplorer has said, once you have made enough posts in regular threads, you will find that the numerical limits disappear. Just make posts that have a real point to them, and not just to increase your post count.

Bob.

Thanked by:
 Amstaff 
Queens, New York United States

Hammersaw View Post
I would be happy to do that for anyone that might ask.
I have no doubt that my approach of keeping it simple so not to forget just a hand full of basic principals and rules i keep to apply them, would be especially useful to someone just starting out.

Hey Hammer,
That’s a great idea. I’ll share something right now. One turning point in my career was the proper use of the computer. Mr. Computer is great at gathering and sorting data. Mr. Computer is not effective at decisions. I still say that to myself. The computer is here to cut down on the time for gathering and organizing data and that’s it.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

rscr View Post
To all Users of Optimal Ninja.com Orderflow indicator Bundle Would appreciate all comments and advise be they positive or negative.
Thank you,
Rochard

Hi @rscr,

The "ask any question" thread is definitely not the right place for this post. In general, this thread is for newbies who do not yet know how to use the forum, and we generally simply open a new thread for them in an appropriate section. Once someone has been here for a while, they are better served by making their post in a thread devoted to their subject -- either an existing thread that someone else has started, or in a new thread that they start in an appropriate section. This makes the forum better organized and easier for traders to use if they have a specific interest.

In particular, all requests for reviews of vendors or their products should be opened in the "Trading Reviews and Vendors" section. Often if you do a Search using the Search box (upper right corner of any page) you can find out if there is already a thread on your topic. This way you can find out if there are already any related posts, and you will likely attract more attention to your post.

With Optimal Ninja, there is an existing thread, here:

I am moving your post to that thread.

At this point, it is much better if, in the future, you make any new posts in either an existing thread, or in one you start yourself devoted to your topic, and do not post in this "ask any question" thread.

Thanks.

Bob.

Thanked by:
Reyesca
Orlando, FL

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

hi mike my name is Rey I registered on your website a few weeks ago but I never took the chance to explore around.
I am not a programmer or developer, I am just a trader and still learning and I have watched a couple of tutorials and videos about from your YouTube channel. So I wanted to ask you if there is a possibility to combine the donchian channel indicator with the MACD indicator to create a bias indicator that you can actually see the indicator on the chart?
I have tried several different ways but have always failed in producing results.
I built a strategy on Ninja Trader Strategy Builder and tried to convert it to an indicator but it failed.
I really appreciate it if you could give me an answer if it would be possible, and some tips to help.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 22, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts