NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

I need help with ... (ask any question)

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 153 posts (94 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 88 posts (82 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Philip Hutchinson with 10 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 9 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 3.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Daytrader999 with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 100,606 views
    2. thumb_up 387 thanks given
    3. group 325 followers
    1. forum 587 posts
    2. attach_file 42 attachments

Search this Thread

I need help with ... (ask any question)

forgiven 
Fletcher NC
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: nijia trader
Broker: A.M.P. I.Q. ....C.Q.G.
Trading: ym es
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Days
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 580

JERnWAVES View Post
Question: I’m currently using Sierra Charts 5 and I’m thinking of actually purchasing NinjaTrader 8 and stop renting Sierra, can anyone answer if NinjaTrader 8 purchase Will be as, or easier to use?

Thanks!

it is easier and better in my view . it is clunky or take up more resources than Sierra Charts . if you are using a laptop and your are all ready pushing the resources on a 2 year old system it could be a problem . if you buy it pay the extra for the multi broker license , if you are a member there is a discount coupon on the forum. hope it helps !

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,333
Thanks Received: 26,267

JERnWAVES View Post
Question: I’m currently using Sierra Charts 5 and I’m thinking of actually purchasing NinjaTrader 8 and stop renting Sierra, can anyone answer if NinjaTrader 8 purchase Will be as, or easier to use?

Thanks!

forgiven View Post
it is easier and better in my view . it is clunky or take up more resources than Sierra Charts . if you are using a laptop and your are all ready pushing the resources on a 2 year old system it could be a problem . if you buy it pay the extra for the multi broker license , if you are a member there is a discount coupon on the forum. hope it helps !

Hi @forgiven,

This is an answer that many would agree with. I am familiar with and very fond of both NT and SC. (I left NT some years ago due to the many issues at that time with the transition from NT7 to NT8, which seem to have been satisfactorily resolved by now.)

My experience is that Sierra Chart is way, way faster and has a much smaller footprint (memory usage, general resource usage) than NT. Sierra Chart is also absolutely rock solid. And generally, SC emphasizes technological excellence but doesn't care too much about the user. (I have said many times something like, "Sierra Chart will do anything you want, including wash your car and walk your dog, but it will be very hard to find out how to get it to do that, using the interface and the "Help" pages." This is still my view. ) On the other hand, NT is pretty easy to use and has most of what anyone will need, and there are about 10 billion additional indicators and add-ons that will extend it, plus extensive support here and on the NT website. Do the strong points of one outweigh those of the other? Depends on what you like, basically.

I think it's actually a matter of personal choice, when it comes right down to it. People can try many platforms in some kind of demo mode, and use what they like best. If it's responsive, has the functionality you want and is reliable and stable, then that's good enough.

There really aren't that many differences between platforms, when you get right down to it, at least in my opinion. But the thing to do is to try them out.

I do like SC better, for all that. But I think this is just a personal preference, not an absolute difference in value. Whatever works best for you, is best, basically.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

PS, regarding the previous post by @forgiven and my reply, we really aren't using this "ask any question" thread the way we use a normal thread. It's for users to ask a question when they aren't that familiar with the forum. A user ends up in the thread when they click on the "ask your first question" link on the main page of the forum:

Then, we usually open up another thread for them in the relevant section of the forum and copy their question into it, so that the full membership will get a look at it, and, we hope, someone will respond.

In this case, where the question was about using NT8 instead of the user staying with Sierra Chart, the new thread was opened back in 2020, and as we generally hope, it got some replies. This is the link to that thread:

I am copying both @forgiven's post in the "ask any question" thread and my response into the thread that was created then, so they will be part of a coherent series of replies. I hope they will help anyone else who is looking for some info on this question.

Bob.

Thanked by:
 BeetleBaum 
East Ridge, Tennessee, USA

Experience: Master
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Futures, Stocks, Options, Forex
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 4

How does one go about submitting ideas without running into a buzzsaw of reasons it won't work going out the gate without even a fair evaluation? It's rather discouraging to hear those who assume failure up front with doubt when you want those who assume success with faith. I seek a place where never is heard a discouraging word. Is it here in this forum somewhere? Or should I look elsewhere?

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

BeetleBaum View Post
How does one go about submitting ideas without running into a buzzsaw of reasons it won't work going out the gate without even a fair evaluation? It's rather discouraging to hear those who assume failure up front with doubt when you want those who assume success with faith. I seek a place where never is heard a discouraging word. Is it here in this forum somewhere? Or should I look elsewhere?

Hi @BeetleBaum,

I am sorry that you have had an unsatisfactory experience in the forum. We actively prevent expressions of negativity and discourtesy, and on the whole I think that the members maintain a standard of professionalism that allows mutually valuable discussions. In fact, we insist on our rules of civility and mutual respect and enforce them when necessary.

In light of that, I have looked at all your posts up to now, and at the responses they have received. I realize that you feel disappointed, but to be honest I do not think that anyone was particularly discouraging, nor that anyone overstepped normal and appropriate standards in their replies.

You may encounter skepticism about an idea, or not receive the type of response you expect. For the most part, forum members are well aware that trading is difficult and may not embrace an idea you propose. I would suggest not taking offense at this, nor to be discouraged by it.

The philosophy of the forum is essentially that discussion among traders of different perspectives, experience levels and points of view, which may or may not lead to agreement, is a good way to discover value, at least in this kind of open forum setting.

This is what is offered here, and whether you find value in it is your choice, after all.

For what it's worth, I do hope you find what you are looking for here.

Good luck.

Bob.

Thanked by:
 BeetleBaum 
East Ridge, Tennessee, USA

Experience: Master
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: Futures, Stocks, Options, Forex
Thanks Given: 4
Thanks Received: 4

Well said and appropriate Bob.

I have some personal health and life circumstances that make me a bit anxious and sensitive to my particular needs not being so readily available. So I do not ever wish to be seen as difficult.

I have found some in the trading community, like with the regulars on ThinkOrSwim platform's ThinkScript chat room will chew you to pieces for asking a simple question as a way to presumably assert their cliquish superiority. That is a spirit I can do without as one who shows up to learn and willingly share ideas without being denounced and berated. That kind of behavior leaves a bad taste for traders seeking to improve.

And that is where I object. I complained to TD Ameritrade about them a couple of times.

So one member here placed me a bit too heavily on the defensive when I offered my strategy in a post, and I got a little skittish. I have worked it out with him privately and it's cool now.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

BeetleBaum View Post

I have some personal health and life circumstances that make me a bit anxious and sensitive to my particular needs not being so readily available. So I do not ever wish to be seen as difficult.

I have found some in the trading community, like with the regulars on ThinkOrSwim platform's ThinkScript chat room will chew you to pieces for asking a simple question as a way to presumably assert their cliquish superiority. That is a spirit I can do without as one who shows up to learn and willingly share ideas without being denounced and berated. That kind of behavior leaves a bad taste for traders seeking to improve.

And that is where I object. I complained to TD Ameritrade about them a couple of times.

So one member here placed me a bit too heavily on the defensive when I offered my strategy in a post, and I got a little skittish. I have worked it out with him privately and it's cool now.

Fair enough.

One of the reasons that @Big Mike, the founder of this site, created it in the first place is that he was fed up with the rudeness and shows of superiority found in some places on the internet. There's no place for it here.

Again, good luck. I don't guarantee you will find everything you want here. I do guarantee that we will not tolerate rudeness and put-downs or personal remarks.

Everyone can improve. That's what this forum is for.

Bob.

casey44 
Louisville KY

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NT8
Trading: micros
Frequency: Daily
Thanks Given: 4,039
Thanks Received: 311

BeetleBaum View Post

@BeetleBaum, occurs to me you might look at this site for another take on TOS indi's and discussion.
https://usethinkscript.com/ . Pardon if it's in fact the one you referred to, but this one is not owned by TDA as far as I know.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 coolma1973 
San Mateo

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: es/ eur/usd/oil/gold
Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 0

I am thinking about following few people by doing trade coping services that they suggested. Does anyone know if they are legit? Thanks!

1. http://ww17.tradeversal.com/

2. https://tradehuxe.com/

3. chainmarkets.net

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

coolma1973 View Post
I am thinking about following few people by doing trade coping services that they suggested. Does anyone know if they are legit? Thanks!

1. http://ww17.tradeversal.com/

2. https://tradehuxe.com/

3. chainmarkets.net

Hi @coolma1973,

Thanks for the question. This is a difficult one. Generally, what we do to respond to these "ask your question" posts is to copy the post out to a new thread in an appropriate section of the forum, so that that the members who are most likely to be interested in the topic will see it, and hopefully respond.

In this case, I confess that I have not seen this particular type of firm being discussed before. Perhaps this is just me, and maybe they are more widely used. I took a quick look at them, and it appears that they set you up to "follow" or "mirror" (copy) the trades of their traders.

As a personal comment, let me say that the idea would make me very nervous, but again, that my just be me.

I am copying your post into the vendor review section. Normally the entries there are for single vendors, but I think this is still the best fit. For one thing, the system places limits on who can make a vendor review: they must have at least 10 posts or be Elite members. This is to reduce fake positive reviews by the vendors themselves, which are very common. We are more likely to get genuine reviews that way.

You can access the new thread by clicking this box:

I will meet you over there in that thread with some additional comments.

Bob.

Last Updated on February 22, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts