NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Which features are your favorite in NinjaTrader?

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 4 posts (14 thanks)
    2. looks_two DavidHP with 1 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 loantelligence with 1 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 fernlicht with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one peter1 with 9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two lancelottrader with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 loantelligence with 5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 3.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,290 views
    2. thumb_up 55 thanks given
    3. group 261 followers
    1. forum 22 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Which features are your favorite in NinjaTrader?

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,143
Thanks Received: 101,477

peter1 View Post
My favorite is the Strategy Analyzer function. It has great potential for strategy optimization!
It just needs to work. Currently there is critical item non-functionality. Needs to be fixed.

Will NinjaTrader fix Memory Leak in Strategy Analyzer?

You might try posting this in NinjaTrader's AMA thread:

It's really off-topic here. But I can't help but wonder your testing methodology, because as I understand it, NT8 was a complete rewrite of NT7 and so somewhat unlikely the same memory leak exists between both platforms. However, having a ton of experience with NT strategies myself, I can speak from that experience in that certain indicators, bar types, or even optimizers themselves that I have coded in the past do have memory leaks as part of that code (not part of NT's core functionality). Something to consider, but please consider it in another thread

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
The following 4 users say Thank You to Big Mike for this post:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
58 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
57 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
48 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
31 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
29 thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

@aslan!!! I see you... Man, good to see your name (you thanked a post). It's been a long time! I hope you are doing well during this trying time. I also hope to see you posting again...

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
The following 3 users say Thank You to Big Mike for this post:

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

DavidHP View Post
However, that is not why I'm posting in this thread.
As I viewed the thread I saw a 'thanks' on a post from someone I followed many years ago and would like to use this opportunity to ask them to start posting and being active again.
@aslan has so much wisdom. I never had thanked aslan for all of the great information he posted and inspired me to continue trading.

Thank you @aslan!

@DavidHP, we think alike! Let's go watch Narnia together! I can't help but think of Narnia when I hear @aslan.

They have some sort of Netflix sharing thing for Chrome now (an extension) where you and friends can watch the same show at exactly the same time. Isn't social distancing great?

Mike

The following 4 users say Thank You to Big Mike for this post:
 Robx 
Madrid + SPAIN

Platform: NinjaTrader,AmiBroker,TOS
Trading: Commodities Futures, Options, Stocks
Thanks Given: 18
Thanks Received: 6

I like NT flexibility and the big number and quality of indicators and strategies avalaible on the ecosystem.
Since NT8 i also like much Order Flow and VP included on the package.

I also use TOS and AmiBroker among others trading platforms, so i miss on NT a better performance when using many charts and indicators.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Robx for this post:

bcomas 
Palma de Mallorca/Spain

Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Ninjatrader Brokerage
Trading: micro e-mini nasdaq-100 index futures
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 116

My favorite is the ATM integrated into the AutoStrategies. Is possible to use diferent entry signals with diferent ATM's to manage the positions. The ATM is one of the best features for a proper money management.

Bernard
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to bcomas for this post:
 joe s 
sacramento ca us

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja Trader,Trade Station
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 105

I like chart trader

sayler
NY, NY USA

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 0

I have been using it for 1 week. Trade Performace is an interesting tool I don't remember seeing on other platforms.

tokuarim 
Los Angeles, California/Los Angeles County

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Crude CL
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 0

Trade Performance feature is not accurate but is quite helpful. I used to use StaticDOM. But it makes me more nervous so I switched for chart-trading which really works for my scalp trading style.

fernlicht 
Schwyz, Switzerland

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader, Visual Studi
Broker: IB, Biftinex, Binance
Trading: Yes
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 33

peter1 View Post
My favorite is the Strategy Analyzer function. It has great potential for strategy optimization!
It just needs to work. Currently there is critical item non-functionality. Needs to be fixed.

Will NinjaTrader fix Memory Leak in Strategy Analyzer?

There is an issue of a memory leak in the Strategy Analyzer Optimizer that has been confirmed by support using SampleMACrossover Strategy in Safe mode. This means it is inherent in the NinjaTrader platform code.
It causes a resource exhaustion error with Committed and Working memory maxing out past the RAM in my case past 32 GB. This condition kills NinaTrader. One then has to restart. This memory leak makes the functionality of the Optimizer non-functional for any large optimization due to the fatal error.
Here is a picture of the resource monitor before and during an optimization.

I have submitted this issue on the support forum.
I have noticed memory leak issues in Strategy Analyzer in NT8 go back to 2015 on the support forum, all unresolved:

From 2015:
https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/historical-beta-archive/version-8-beta/77257-strategy-analyser-eating-memory
Outcome: Submitted a report to the team looking into it.

From 2016:
https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/historical-beta-archive/version-8-beta/89191-strategy-analyzer-reserves-over-9gb-of-memory
Outcome: No resolution.

From 2017: Strategy Analyzer not collecting garbage
https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/ninjatrader-8/platform-technical-support-aa/95970-memory-not-released-after-strategy-analyzer-end-of-run
Outcome: No resolution

From 2018:
https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/ninjatrader-8/platform-technical-support-aa/110359-strategy-analyzer-memory-leak-issue-question
Outcome: No resolution

My post to support 2020:
https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/ninjatrader-8/platform-technical-support-aa/1091049-memory-leak-in-strategy-analyzer

There does not seem to be any resolution to any of these posts concerning the memory leak in the Strategy Analyzer.

5 years of the same problem going unsolved and then getting similar responses to 5 year old posts. Many of the posters have given NT possible solutions for fixing this memory leak. I am wondering why a critical item in fundamental functionality is not being fixed for 5 years. These posters have been waiting for 5 years with no results.

I have a significant project and have invested a lot of money into development that requires NinjaTrader.
Is NinjaTrader going to be serious about fixing this critical item of fundamental functionality? I need to know and make plans for my project. NinjaTrader has tremendous potential for a strategy trading platform. That is why I chose it. But that tremendous potential is for nothing if this memory leak is not fixed. It means the real functionality of trading the futures markets with strategies using NinjaTrader is non-functional, and fatal. It seems to have gotten lip service for 5 years. This is critical item non-functionality.

Ray, what should I expect from NinjaTrader? Are you going to personally oversee this to make sure it gets properly resolved?

Strat Analyzer Memory end

My to cents (I'm a quant NinjaUser with existing business coupled with that piece of software).
As far as I can see Ninjatrader focused recently on their business side, like being anintroduction brokerage. It provides them with recurring revenues.
Imagine, when you (only) have 40k customers/users (the last number I've heard)? and they only pay once for their lifetime license, it is really hard to make
scalable business, I guess.
On the flip side having software that has to be installed on the desktop seems a bit outdated nowadays. (I know there are cons and pros)
Plus in recent years when competitors like Tradingview and other brokerages with browser software are eating up their potential clients that are trading directly off the chart and quants/algos went to Phyton etc.... I think, again, it is really a tough business for them.

For me, it was no question to start with Ninja7 in 2012, but times have changed and I only stay with them because I really do like C# and ninja's open lib structure where I can develop my own add ons.
And to be really honest, maybe I give Py. a chance in a free minute and see what's what. Because coming back to you mentioned issue, no way can a niche software firm allow to not even bother about such a major flaw. Am I wrong?

Chof 
Edmonton AB. / Canada

Platform: NT 8
Broker: Amp / CQG
Trading: NQ index
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Seconds
Thanks Given: 28
Thanks Received: 48

I started with Tradestation stopped at TS8.. Then to ninja7 and when I got back into trading in 2017 I went with Sierra Charts. The thing I like most about NinjaTrader is the drag and drop feature for indicators (from one chart to another) - I think its unique. It could have something to do with C#. I've never found it with any other platform.

Last Updated on April 21, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts