NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Opening Range Revisited...Still Relevant?

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Salao with 7 posts (32 thanks)
    2. looks_two AllSeeker with 5 posts (13 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Grantx with 4 posts (16 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Botts with 3 posts (15 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 5.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Botts with 5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Salao with 4.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Grantx with 4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,126 views
    2. thumb_up 144 thanks given
    3. group 25 followers
    1. forum 39 posts
    2. attach_file 18 attachments

Search this Thread

Opening Range Revisited...Still Relevant?

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: GC/MGC, MCL, MES
Thanks Given: 10,587
Thanks Received: 5,870

Grantx View Post
Also if you can extract bar info and break it down into statistical data you will find some usable information. Just write down whatever hypothetical questions you have and then answer them with numbers. Then using relative volume and size and nature of the opening swings, you can get a very good read of the market and can formulate effective strategies around that.

I think you nailed it @Grantx, with your line about answering my question with numbers. Ever since you've posted this I've been thinking about how to formulate an OR study. Probably overthinking it actually. Ha! I have a few simple ideas for a statistical study in mind, but have procrastinated starting one. That's hard work, man! I just need to commit to setting aside a little bit of time a week, and then be patient (and diligent) with it.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Grantx 
Reading UK
Legendary no drama Llama

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 2,826
Thanks Received: 5,059

Salao View Post
I think you nailed it @Grantx, with your line about answering my question with numbers. Ever since you've posted this I've been thinking about how to formulate an OR study. Probably overthinking it actually. Ha! I have a few simple ideas for a statistical study in mind, but have procrastinated starting one. That's hard work, man! I just need to commit to setting aside a little bit of time a week, and then be patient (and diligent) with it.

Hey Salao its actually very easy. I will help you where I can. Let me know when you are ready to start and we can work together on this.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,012

web

Honestly, not too bad for S&P 500, but this is just first look.

Interesting read here
https://www.thebalancemoney.com:443/opening-range-fake-breakout-strategy-for-stocks-1031461

Thanked by:

dannyinhouston 
Houston Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, YM, NQ, ES
Thanks Given: 287
Thanks Received: 1,044

The OR is very relevant. But like everything in trading, nothing works all the time in all markets.

I use the Premium Lizard Trader OR tools, this provides me with overnight/session ranges, and the RTH ranges. These levels, along with yLOD, y-HOD, pivots, and y-fibs are all noticed by price. Again, the levels are not always respected by price, but more often than not you see attention.

Mpst of the time, if price makes a new low or high early in the RTH, then later the price will go to these levels again, like any previous level, price respects it. I use this for entries and exits for my scalps or a place where I scale in or out.

Often on a strong move up or down, I will see a measured move (price moves a distance equal to the OR from the top or bottom of the range) as a target for an exit. I have noticed on many occasions when price reaches the measured move level it reacts.

The Liazard Trader indicators do all this for me automatically each day. Here is a snip from a chart of ES, see how price reacts at the levels.

But the main point is, OR is just another display of what price is doing, not a magic genie.

ninja trader snip

Thanked by:
 RDK91 
Antwerp

As with everything in trading OR is subjective, just like S&R, trend lines, ...

Everyone will be using it differently, for one trader the opening range is the first 5 minutes, for another the first 15 minutes, another one looks at the first 30 minutes and yet someone else will do something completely different.

I personally see the first 30 minutes as the opening range and the high/low from this range can be very important during the rest of the day. Yesterday is a perfect example, we tried breaking out of the OR multiple times and failed each time, market internals clearly confirmed a falls breakout 2 of the 3 times.

If these levels line up with overnight highs or lows, yesterdays session highs or lows, VWAP, trendlines, ... it makes them even stronger.

This screenshot shows the entire US session, the grey area is the fist 30 minutes of the session.

Botts 
Penetanguishene, Ontario, Canada

Experience: None
Platform: NinjaTrader-8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage, Continuum
Trading: ZB, MES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 4,019
Thanks Received: 3,605

Salao View Post
I've been using my free time this weekend to review the concept of Opening Range.

Hopefully others will share their views on Opening Range, including whether or not it should be shelved in the antique store of Dated Trading Ideas. .

I vote for keeping the Opening Range idea and I would not like to see it "shelved in the antique store of Dated Trading Ideas."

How you define the Opening Range depends a lot on what "you" see as relevant when you sit down in front of your chart(s).

Personally, I like to use an Initial Price Pivot to mark the boundaries of the Opening (Range) but that's just my preference.

The Price Pivot concept is simple, in that you're looking for a bar to close above a prior bar's high to find the Initial Pivot Low,
and you're looking for a bar to close below a prior bar's low to find the Initial Pivot High.
(The dots you see plotted along the lines indicate the bar that met those criteria.)

ZB (06-20) Initial Pivots for London and CBOT 2020-04-17_6-50-ET

The fact that these two things can't happen until the buyers or the sellers have shown enough of an interest to push the price
far enough in one direction or the other to create an initial pivot, is a dynamic that I can relate to.

CL (06-20) Initial Pivots for London and NYMEX 2020-04-17_8-02-ET

Using the Initial Pivot approach is different that using the range of a 5 minute bar or the range of the first hour of trading,

GC (06-20) Initial Pivots 2020-04-17_6-48-ET

But that's just my preference.

With a little research, you can find your own way of discerning what the "OR" means to your trading.

Good Luck,
Trade well.

R.I.P. John Bottomley (Botts), 1956-2022.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Platform: TradeStation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: GC/MGC, MCL, MES
Thanks Given: 10,587
Thanks Received: 5,870

Grantx View Post
Hey Salao its actually very easy. I will help you where I can. Let me know when you are ready to start and we can work together on this.

I think I'll take you up on this Grantx!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,012

@dannyinhouston @TopGunNote

Thanks for ideas

web

I love these kind of threads, thanks @Salao for making one and allowing me to program indicator

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 4,176
Thanks Received: 6,020

These 2 links offer some interesting suggestions or variations on how to use the OR concept:

A Simple Alternative Means of Assessing Short-Term [AUTOLINK]Bias[/AUTOLINK] & Market Strength/Weakness
A Simple Alternative Means of Assessing Short-Term [AUTOLINK]Bias[/AUTOLINK] & Market Strength/Weakness ? Part 2

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Thanks Given: 57,515
Thanks Received: 26,292

TopGunNote View Post
Personally, I like to use an Initial Price Pivot to mark the boundaries of the Opening (Range) but that's just my preference.

The Price Pivot concept is simple, in that you're looking for a bar to close above a prior bar's high to find the Initial Pivot Low, and you're looking for a bar to close below a prior bar's low to find the Initial Pivot High.

The fact that these two things can't happen until the buyers or the sellers have shown enough of an interest to push the price far enough in one direction or the other to create an initial pivot, is a dynamic that I can relate to.

Thanks, @TopGunNote. If I were to use OR, this is probably how I would do it -- wait for a clear high and a clear low, early within the session so it truly reflects an "initial" assessment by traders of a significant range, and use that. Therefore you're not stuck with a relatively arbitrary time period, but can use price action to help you.

The downside is that it's more work, takes some subjective judgment, and of course there may not be a clear hi/lo pivot, just a trend. But then, there isn't an opening "range" either.

It has tended to work OK when I've tried it, but so has the fixed-period version. I'm not using either now, because I already put too much on my charts.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 26, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts