NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Tuglife's trading journal. Focused on profitability.

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Tuglife with 110 posts (131 thanks)
    2. looks_two tonybravo with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Botts with 3 posts (16 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mcjackson with 2 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Botts with 5.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Massive l with 4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 2.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Tuglife with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 24,408 views
    2. thumb_up 172 thanks given
    3. group 12 followers
    1. forum 132 posts
    2. attach_file 8 attachments

Search this Thread

Tuglife's trading journal. Focused on profitability.

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: YM
Thanks Given: 88
Thanks Received: 174

Pretty short day. Took 2 trades...scratched one, got ran over on the second one. Thought I was trading a pullback. I was wrong. Limit down.

I missed the setup that I worked really hard on last week. Would have been good for 5 points.

I'm kind of scratching my head. I need to work on my patience, that's for sure. I only have one more day to trade until I go back to work for three weeks. After tomorrow I will take a live trading break for a week at least. I'm trying to keep my chin up but it's demoralizing. I think my patience was improving for a short while but I've backslid.

I also think I've been overestimating my ability, and learned not to be afraid to guess. Very bad habits to be sure.

I might need to go back to one contract. With 2, my risk management dictates that my stop is 20 ticks max, and if I hit that I'm done for the day.

On a positive note, I've figured out a few things I can do that might help.

1. Rules it is. I *watch* the market for the first hour. First trade better look pretty good in hindsight too, or interval will increase.

2.Also, it is evident there are gaps in my skillset. I am going to take the time to read a price action book. Something by Al Brooks to be sure.

3. Discipline must be brought into other areas of my life. I started today by buying healthier groceries. Jesus if I could exercise a little that would be *huge*. I've wanted to do this forever.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to Tuglife for this post:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Request for MACD with option to use different MAs for fa …
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Retail Trading As An Industry
67 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
46 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
37 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
32 thanks
What percentage per day is possible? [Poll]
25 thanks

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

Well I've been at work for 2 weeks and have only been watching the market. I did take one trade today. A bad one that went against me right away. The good news is that I watched the market all morning...didn't jump right in.

My discipline has been pretty good overall. Diet is going well, and I'm working hard. I get plenty of exercise on the job, but I have *never* been able to get going with cardio exercise. This remains a goal.

I have a co-worker who trades futures. He's profitable and has been helping me out with some fundamentals. Not just chartwork, but risk management, psychology etc.

The following user says Thank You to Tuglife for this post:

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

After a month off trading (and no real studying because work was busy) I started trading again.

Crazy day today. I made 3 trades and was up about 50 points. Then some crazy switch flipped inside me and I decided to abandon my risk management and trade five contracts instead of the two I'm supposed to. Lost my gains and more.

A *very disappointing* limit down for the day. The idea of quitting looks very appealing at the moment. I'm working on fixing this but keep repeating the same mistakes. Easily my most frustrating day I've had.

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

Friday I was limit up after 3 trades. I definitely benefitted from the size of the rotations.

Sunday night limit down. I was guessing, didn't have very good trade location. I also violated my rule about turning the screen off after being limit down. I didn't lose any extra money but put myself in the penalty box today because of this bad behaviour.

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

Wow, almost a month between posts. I have been very busy with my "day job" and also the internet service where I have been working was not trustworthy enough to trade.

Traded yesterday. A decent entry into the big spike down, then I watched a 15 point positive excursion evaporate. Two more (less good) trades left me limit down.

Today I had 5 trades, 3 of them with decent entries. Order management was good, discipline was good. I was short (again) on a pullback during the move down after lunch. Shorted right at the VWAP. One of the most skillful trades I've had in awhile. It was a two contract trade -- took one contract off and let the other one run. After the excursion ran pretty good I started with a 7 point trailing stop then switched to a 3 point trail after the move appeared to be losing steam. Limit up for the day and screen off.

On the discipline front, I am finally losing weight through intermittent fasting. I have made a bet on a website regarding my weight loss. I have 6 months to lose 40 pounds (with video verified weigh ins). I wagered $600 at 2:1 odds that I will lose 40 pounds in 6 months. I am halfway there after one month. My discipline will allow me to win this money and lose the weight!

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

I did not trade well today. Woke up late and missed the morning gap fill. I had one good entry but did a poor job managing it. I think maybe starting the session with losing trades creates a fearful mindset.

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

I showed good patience today and also good discipline. I have been very effective in cutting losing trades quickly.

Had one good trade. A short off the 1 sigma VWAP line. I trailed my stop but ended up changing to a limit buy in a logical place.

I finally feel like I could benefit from trading another contract.

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

Wow, time flies. I have been working a lot of overtime at my day job. Nevertheless, I am back trading. I've been working on discipline in my daily life, and it is paying off. I have lost 25 pounds on the "snake diet" which utilizes prolonged fasting to reach weight loss and health goals. Look it up on Youtube! Warning: The inventor of the Snake Diet (Cole) has a NSFW mouth.

I traded the last 3 days. I have started to employ a mean reversion strategy, using the VWAP and split volume profile. It's going well. A particular area of focus is to maximize positive excursion. I've been doing a lot of watching and waiting, and confidently entering trades when I get the right setup.

I have made a few micro gold trades, and have charts up for MNQ and MYM. Can't afford to trade the bigger indexes because the stops need to be so huge.

It feels like I have improved a lot in the six months since I started trading.

The following 5 users say Thank You to Tuglife for this post:

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

It was just you. Title is "Focused on Profitability."

Thanks for stopping by.

I have had a revelation in the last few days. I have always had higher timeframe charts up, but they haven't been doing a lot of good. So I threw up a VWAP on an hourly chart starting on September 1. Aha moment. I've seen my future, and it involves a lot less scalping tics.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/d3QhGwKd/Screenshot-1.png[/img]

Tuglife 
Escondido CA USA

OK day today, but missed a good opportunity. I shorted the MYM late last night, and stayed in the trade like 9 hours. After lunch I convinced myself that the market would continue to be rangebound. Closed my position for a profit, turned off the screen, and no less than 10 minutes later all the indexes broke down. I was *very* tired, so there probably were clues that I missed.

I don't exactly know what took me so long to figure this out, but I am now going to trade with a daily, weekly, and monthly chart open. My main setup is mean reversion and I think i can avoid getting run over so much with the bigger picture in mind. Profits should be better with a higher timeframe as guidance.

Here's what the new setup looks like. When I am getting ready to place a trade I'll open up a Jigsaw DOM.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/8zr3LNgK/Screenshot-12.png[/img]

The following 2 users say Thank You to Tuglife for this post:

Last Updated on September 16, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts