NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Avoiding Broker Insolvency

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Blaster666 with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 3 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Pa Dax with 3 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Joshua1984 with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Pa Dax with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Blaster666 with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,728 views
    2. thumb_up 21 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 15 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Avoiding Broker Insolvency

Joshua1984 
Montreal, Quebec/Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ensign, IB, Sierra Chart, Ninjatrader, Multicharts
Trading: CL, Stocks, 6C
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 20

Hello,
Does anyone have an approach in terms of avoiding brokers becoming insolvent and safeguarding their funds? Did you move your funds out of your broker to your bank account? Is there a good way to gauge which brokers are more susceptible? What are best practices?

Andreas Clenow often suggests in his books that it is irresponsible to just have cash in one's account and suggests holding G7 government debt. Do any futures brokers offer access to those instruments?

"In the end, everyone thinks that they have money in the bank but it’s all the same money, and the illusion only works until everyone wants to get their money out at the same time. This of course never happens, unless the bank is about to go bankrupt or there is a perception that the bank might go bankrupt, in which case it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. What you need to understand about this is just that cash held with a bank is not secure and will be exposed to counter party risk against said bank. If the bank goes belly-up, you will probably lose all your cash. Still, you do need some cash on the books and a reasonable amount of counter party risk is the cost of doing business, but you should pick your broker well and not keep too much cash lying around for no reason.

Exactly how you keep this excess cash is something you need to think through and plan. I recommend sticking only to government debt with top tier countries, preferably in your base currency, because it is not worth increasing risk to get a few extra basis points from lesser creditors. If you place the money only with the government who controls your fund’s base currency, or in the case of the Euro the most trusted of the member nations, your risk level is almost nonexistent. Regardless of the state of a nation’s economy, a G7 nation will pay back debts in its own currency, because they own the printing presses. The exception is of course the Eurozone, but the strongest nations are still considered quite safe."

Clenow, Andreas F.. Following the Trend: Diversified Managed Futures Trading (Wiley Trading) . Wiley. Kindle Edition.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
 Blaster666 
Buenos Aires Argentina

Experience: None
Platform: TWS
Trading: Micro ES
Thanks Given: 32
Thanks Received: 30

In United States, for margin accounts:

The cash deposited on these margin accounts is insured by FDIC or SIPC?

For instance, if you have a margin account (for trading futures) with Interactive Brokers, and suddenly IBKR goes bankrupt, is the cash protected/insured in some way?

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Joshua1984 
Montreal, Quebec/Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ensign, IB, Sierra Chart, Ninjatrader, Multicharts
Trading: CL, Stocks, 6C
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 20

I would love to know the answer to this. As a Canadian it's probably no.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 11,328
Thanks Received: 2,743

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/buying-stocks/articles/brokerage-account-insurance-is-your-account-safe/

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
 Blaster666 
Buenos Aires Argentina

Good, I've just read the article.

If I'm not wrong the cash deposited in a margin account is protected by SIPC when this cash is not held as margin for a futures contract traded.

That's to say ... If I buy an ES contract and the margin requested for the broker is let's say US$ 15.000 .... well, this money is not protected by SIPC as long as I hold the futures contract ...

On the other hand ... If I have a margin account but I still didn't trade any futures contract, that's to say I only have cash in my account ... well, in that case the money would be protected by SIPC in case of bankruptcy of the broker ...

Am I right?

Thanked by:

Pa Dax 
Netherlands
Price Action Scientist

Platform: NinjaTrader, IB TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2,006
Thanks Received: 6,318

Clientsecurities accounts at Interactive Brokers LLC are protected by the Securities Investor Protection Corporation ("SIPC") for a maximum coverage of $500,000 (with a cash sublimit of $250,000) and under Interactive Brokers LLC's excess SIPC policy with certain underwriters at Lloyd's of London 1 for up to an additional $30 million (with a cash sublimit of $900,000) subject to an aggregate limit of $150 million. Futures and options on futures are not covered. As with all securities firms, this coverage provides protection against failure of a broker-dealer, not against loss of market value of securities.

https://www1.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=2334&p=acc

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,343
Thanks Received: 26,267

From the Wikipedia article on SIPC. Note the second paragraph, which addresses futures. They are not covered.

Quoting 
The SIPC serves two primary roles in the event that a broker-dealer fails. First, the SIPC acts to organize the distribution of customer cash and securities to investors. Second, to the extent a customer's cash and/or securities are unavailable, the SIPC provides insurance coverage up to $500,000 of the customer's net equity balance, including up to $250,000 in cash.[9][10] In most cases where a brokerage firm has failed or is on the brink of failure, SIPC first seeks to transfer customer accounts to another brokerage firm. Should that process fail, the insolvent firm will be liquidated.[11] In order to state a claim, the investor is required to show that their economic loss arose because of the insolvency of their broker-dealer and not because of fraud,[12] misrepresentation,[13] or bad investment decisions. In certain circumstances, securities or cash may not exist in full based upon a customer's statement. In this case, protection is also extended to investors whose "securities may have been lost, improperly hypothecated, misappropriated, never purchased, or even stolen".[14]

While customers' cash and most types of securities - such as notes, stocks, bonds and certificates of deposit - are protected, other items such as commodity or futures contracts are not covered. Investment contracts, certificates of interest, participations in profit-sharing agreements, and oil, gas, or mineral royalties or leases are not covered unless registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securities_Investor_Protection_Corporation

Futures contracts are not "securities," basically. So you're on your own.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:
 Blaster666 
Buenos Aires Argentina

Pa Dax View Post
Clientsecurities accounts at Interactive Brokers LLC are protected by the Securities Investor Protection Corporation ("SIPC")

A cash account is a "security account", isn't it?

What about a margin account? Is it the same as a "security account"?

I'm not sure if IBKR in its site when referring to "securities accounts" is talking about only of cash accounts ... or if this concept of "security account" is the same as a margin account too ...

I ask this because with a margin account I am able to buy securities too .. that's why I have this doubt ...

Thx

Thanked by:

Pa Dax 
Netherlands
Price Action Scientist

Platform: NinjaTrader, IB TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2,006
Thanks Received: 6,318

Blaster666 View Post
A cash account is a "security account", isn't it?

What about a margin account? Is it the same as a "security account"?

I'm not sure if IBKR in its site when referring to "securities accounts" is talking about only of cash accounts ... or if this concept of "security account" is the same as a margin account too ...

I ask this because with a margin account I am able to buy securities too .. that's why I have this doubt ...

Thx

It depends whether you are using margin. That is if you have a leveraged position on or not.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 31, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts