NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What % is your daily loss limit?

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Sandpaddict with 10 posts (8 thanks)
    2. looks_two eilanzier with 9 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 RT777 with 3 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 1.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two RT777 with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Sandpaddict with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 eilanzier with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 9,068 views
    2. thumb_up 25 thanks given
    3. group 15 followers
    1. forum 41 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

What % is your daily loss limit?

DavidCarmichael
Bangor, Wales

Thanks Given: 6
Thanks Received: 10

Sandpaddict View Post
I dont have a daily dollar limit but after two bad trades in a row, not necessarily losses, just bad trades, I step back and reassess.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

I like your thinking here - it's about poor trading, and what you need to do psychologically to address that and get back in sync with the market - rather than having an arbitrary dollar limit for losses. That makes a lot of sense.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Noobtrader123
Houston, Texas

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 9

2% but primarily it is a mindset. Knowing I have a limit helps me keep from revenge trading.

Thanked by:

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader, MT4
Broker: IB, Global Prime
Trading: Futures CFDs
Thanks Given: 975
Thanks Received: 637

DavidCarmichael View Post
I like your thinking here - it's about poor trading, and what you need to do psychologically to address that and get back in sync with the market - rather than having an arbitrary dollar limit for losses. That makes a lot of sense.

Yes DavidCarmichael thats exactly it. Sounds more clear when you say it. I don't know if its a good strategy. I don't even know why I do but after just so many of those over the years I know thats when I go on tilt. Then you let one of those oversized losses get thrown in there and there goes your day... or worse!

Thanks for the reply!

Good trading to you!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 eilanzier 
Singapore

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ThinkorSwim
Trading: Crude CL, Gold GC
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 13

Sandpaddict View Post
Yes DavidCarmichael thats exactly it. Sounds more clear when you say it. I don't know if its a good strategy. I don't even know why I do but after just so many of those over the years I know thats when I go on tilt. Then you let one of those oversized losses get thrown in there and there goes your day... or worse!

Thanks for the reply!

Good trading to you!

however, wouldn't 1 big loss of wiping quite abit of your account provide more damage than fixed manageble loss?

evilskunk
Kyiv Ukraine

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

eilanzier View Post
I have more question, do you guys trail your stop or just put a stop and go away?

This was actually the cornerstone that my trading system lacked long enough to make me desperate at some point. The system didn't work with a consisten enough profit until I formalized the rules of trailing the stop to BE.
In most cases not trailing at all is the best decision. Trailing to break-even given the total 1:10 risk:reward of the trade is a good idea though. Yet, not earlier than the price has moved far enough from the entry point.

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

eilanzier View Post
however, wouldn't 1 big loss of wiping quite abit of your account provide more damage than fixed manageble loss?

Yes. If I understand what your saying.

My point being Ive found if a make a few bad trades in a row, again they dont have to be losers to be bad trades, but after a couple of bad trades its just easier doing something stupid that leads to that one big loss.

And that one big loss is either the end or the beging of the end because it never should have happened in the first place... but were all human so we have to account for our tendencies.

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

eilanzier View Post
I have more question, do you guys trail your stop or just put a stop and go away?

Hello again eilanzier.

I can only speak for myself and my experiences but heres my take.

Trailing stops sounds so easy, so logical, but they can fool you into complacency into you crunch the numbers.

For me when I back tested trailing stops the only time they ever out performed other kinds of stops was during strong moves up or down and if you think about it its still suboptimal because in a strong trend your stop wouldn't be hit anyway and once it slows down a bit itll come back take you out and probably resume without you.

Does that mean I dont like or dont use trailing stops?... NO. I do. But more price action and when I know either the markets in my profit zone or if its just gone to far too fast ect... but never just a percentage or dollars trailing.

Hope that helps.

Thanked by:
 Rainmakersg 
Singapore Singapore

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 62
Thanks Received: 41

I feel trailing stops needs more mental tenacity, because I presume your strategy is riding the trend. So you will be stopped out at loss or breakeven more often than being able to ride the trend. And the trend must be strong enough to cover all your small losses and commissions.

RT777 
Toronto Canada

Sandpaddict View Post
Hello again eilanzier.

For me when I back tested trailing stops the only time they ever out performed other kinds of stops was during strong moves up or down and if you think about it its still suboptimal because in a strong trend your stop wouldn't be hit anyway and once it slows down a bit itll come back take you out and probably resume without you.

Does that mean I dont like or dont use trailing stops?... NO. I do. But more price action and when I know either the markets in my profit zone or if its just gone to far too fast ect... but never just a percentage or dollars trailing.

Hope that helps.

I found the same tendencies in everything I backtested (scalping type system). I wrote many different stop systems and by far, the trailing stop method, always gave much worse results. The concept sounds good in theory but in practice the market is so full of noise you end up getting whipped out. What I did find improved results substantially was to bring the profit target in, in relation to the amount of maximum adverse excursion in each trade.

Sandpaddict 
Vancouver, Canada

RT777 View Post
I found the same tendencies in everything I backtested (scalping type system). I wrote many different stop systems and by far, the trailing stop method, always gave much worse results. The concept sounds good in theory but in practice the market is so full of noise you end up getting whipped out. What I did find improved results substantially was to bring the profit target in, in relation to the amount of maximum adverse excursion in each trade.

Thats its exactly what Ive found RT777. Exactly! Bring my targets inside MFE has far out performed trailing stops. I think its in part of us to try to squeeze every last tick to help us but in reality theres ALWAYS more room you could have exited above a trailing stop anyway again if you think about it.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 16, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts