NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Coronavirus COVID-19

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one aquarian1 with 131 posts (129 thanks)
    2. looks_two Blash with 60 posts (136 thanks)
    3. looks_3 AllSeeker with 43 posts (75 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 43 posts (180 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 4.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Blash with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 aquarian1 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 104,387 views
    2. thumb_up 1,277 thanks given
    3. group 264 followers
    1. forum 582 posts
    2. attach_file 74 attachments

Search this Thread

Coronavirus COVID-19

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,501
Thanks Received: 26,292

I thought that someone ought to mention that the United States now has had over 100,000 deaths from the COVID-19 virus. We have a thread on the virus, but no one is marking this milestone, so I guess I will.

I understand that there are many points of view on this whole situation, and frankly I don't want to get too far into all of it. But 100,000 people is a pretty large number, and someone should notice it on a thread devoted to the subject.

The US now has over a million cases, and leads the world in the effect of the virus, leading in both total cases and total deaths. Since March. That's three months.

So, maybe this is really a big deal.

I do understand that there are many parts of the country that have not been seriously affected by the virus (I live in one, although there are parts of my state, the high-density areas such as Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Palm Beach, that are high infection and high death areas.) I am very afraid that the regions that so far have been lightly affected will soon find that the virus has come to their door. This is starting in a lot of areas, and I am not happy with it.

I also understand that every single issue in modern life has become a political issue. I am sure that at some point, whether the sun rises in the East will be something that people believe or disbelieve based on their politics. God knows why this has happened, but it has.

So, whether this is well-received or not, I do want to pause and notice that 100,000 Americans are dead now from this virus, and this is more than all the US soldiers who died in every war beginning with Viet Nam and up to the present. That's a hell of a lot of people, folks.

No matter what you think about the subject, and no matter what your politics are, it's a lot. There will be more, and politics just won't matter.

--------------------

Now, since I have attempted to keep an objective, calm tone in this post, I shouldn't say that it is dismaying to see videos of about a million doofuses rushing out over Memorial Day trying to see whether they could get infected, but it is. A certain percentage of these people will be in ICU's in a few weeks, and after that some will be dead. So will some of their acquaintances and family members who get it from them. So will innocent people they give it to just in passing.

Will it take another three months to get to 200,000? We can't tell now, of course. But the history of this has been to exceed expectations.

Current numbers, from Johns Hopkins University, are here: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

Shaban
Turin + Italy

Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 129

aquarian1 View Post
.... while relatively non-locked down South Korea suffered only five deaths per million. r[/url]

South Korea re-imposes some coronavirus restrictions after spike in new cases:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/28/south-korea-faces-return-to-coronavirus-restrictions-after-spike-in-new-cases

Thanked by:
 montanajtt 
Como, Italy

Platform: Tradestation, IB
Broker: Tradestation, IB
Trading: ES
Frequency: Daily
Thanks Given: 299
Thanks Received: 312

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/05/31/world/europe/31reuters-health-coronavirus-italy-virus.html

anyway things I will do after all this story ends.

1) Will not enter any place managed by a chinese(like bars or resturants)
2) will not import any product from China.
3) will not vote for the current government
4) will not travel to countries who closed or still closing borders with Italy
5) will never doubt that market can recover and build a better long position next time something similar happens.
6) I have a bad feeling about the future so I need a plan B.

Thanked by:

Mabi 
sweden

Platform: NinjaTrader,MetaTrader
Trading: futures, FX
Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 136

I regards to sweden there was some stats analyzed last week in regards to deaths related to the same investigation of highest death rate. It seems that on 5 occasions between 2000-2019 the death rate related to population size have been "higher" or similar from flue. Now there was a point made that at those occasions there was no social distancing implemented. But this shows that normal flue can be much worse then we might think or We never had the info made public before.

Swedish GDP increased 0.1% first quarter so economically up to date it was the right way to go.

Airsoftor 
Ladysmith BC, Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Meta Trader
Trading: Crude Oil
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 7

Mabi View Post
I regards to sweden there was some stats analyzed last week in regards to deaths related to the same investigation of highest death rate. It seems that on 5 occasions between 2000-2019 the death rate related to population size have been "higher" or similar from flue. Now there was a point made that at those occasions there was no social distancing implemented. But this shows that normal flue can be much worse then we might think or We never had the info made public before.

Swedish GDP increased 0.1% first quarter so economically up to date it was the right way to go.

I have to side with you on the Flu severity I don't think its ever been taken seriously

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Sweden update.

Sweden is an interesting case, because their much less restricted response to the Coronavirus was very different from the rest of Europe, and from the other Scandinavian countries. Like many people, I have been aware in a distant way of their policy, although not entirely clear about its basis, since I have been more concerned with the situation where I live.

It appears there is some reconsideration going on now in Sweden itself, although I am not sure what their next steps will be.

I came across this brief story in the Washington Post today, which I am quoting in its entirely here.

Quoting 
The architect of Sweden’s controversial coronavirus strategy has acknowledged the country should have done more to control the spread of the virus.

In a Wednesday interview with Sveriges Radio, Anders Tegnell, the country’s top epidemiologist, said too many people had died and more aggressive measures were clearly needed. But he stopped short of saying Sweden should have implemented a strict lockdown, saying it was not yet clear what responses to the pandemic had paid off in other countries.

“If we were to encounter the same disease again, knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would settle on doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done,” Tegnell said, according to the Local Sweden.

Sweden has reported upward of 38,000 coronavirus cases and 4,468 deaths, giving it a far higher per capita death rate than its Nordic neighbors, which all introduced mandatory lockdowns. While Sweden’s health officials banned group gatherings of more than 50 people and encouraged social distancing, they also took a more laissez-faire approach by allowing bars, restaurants, gyms and schools for children under 16 to remain open.

Criticism of Sweden’s model grew last week when Annika Linde, the country’s former head epidemiologist, publicly changed her stance on the anti-lockdown policy and said it had proved to be unsuccessful. Even a month of lockdown would have bought authorities time to find ways to protect Sweden’s most vulnerable residents, such as elderly people in nursing homes, she said.

Tegnell, typically a staunch defender of the Swedish model, has argued a more lenient approach will be more sustainable in the long run. But he acknowledged Wednesday that there was “clearly room for improvement” in Sweden’s response to the pandemic.

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/03/coronavirus-live-updates-us/ Unfortunately, you'll have to scroll way down or use Ctl+F Search to get to this story. This link is to the beginning of a large collection of related stories, and the Sweden link they provide in the initial summary section takes you to a different page on world-wide cases, apparently by mistake.

I'll just say that the virus pandemic has been one more thing to divide people into opposing camps, and unfortunately there can be consequences to the choice of which camp we are in. This division is one more thing that I hope we can outgrow, and I certainly wish the best for the people of Sweden, and for all of us.

Bob.

Thanked by:
 plongshaw 
Manchester UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Jigsaw Daytrad
Broker: AMP CQG
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 16
Thanks Received: 4

Hi,
here in the UK people with life threatening illnesses very often haven't been getting the treatment they need and their deaths are being put into the covid 19 death statistics. We are told by the media the hospitals are overflowing and struggling to cope but we have been told by people who have been inside that they are quite empty. We have drove past the hospital near to us many times and we see lots of staff just sitting around with nothing to do and they don't look like they have been working hard.

It's all just another excuse to get us more under control and clamp down further on our freedoms. More people seem to be waking up to this now though, which is good.

Do any of you look at: https://www.infowars.com/
https://www.davidicke.com
https://www.bitchute.com/ they give a good insight into what is going on.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,502
Thanks Received: 15,408

Genius.... why didn't I think of it myself?

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

xplorer View Post
Genius.... why didn't I think of it myself?

Hard to say if this is simply hilarious or a cause for despair for all humankind. I sort of felt both.

I guess I'll just take it as a case of human foibles and move along.... I have made equally dumb moves in trading, but it wasn't caught on tape, thankfully.

I would like to be kind, but it's so hard not to laugh.

Bob.

Thanked by:
Shaban
Turin + Italy

Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 129

False claim: In 2015, Trump tweeted that if “Dow Joans” plunges, US president should be shot out of a cannon...

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-trump-dowjones-tweet/false-claim-in-2015-trump-tweeted-that-if-dow-joans-plunges-us-president-should-be-shot-out-of-a-cannon-idUSKBN20P340

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/SNJMKqqB/Donald-J-Trump.jpg[/img]

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 19, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts