NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Coronavirus COVID-19

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one aquarian1 with 131 posts (129 thanks)
    2. looks_two Blash with 60 posts (136 thanks)
    3. looks_3 AllSeeker with 43 posts (75 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 43 posts (180 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 4.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Blash with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 aquarian1 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 102,548 views
    2. thumb_up 1,277 thanks given
    3. group 265 followers
    1. forum 582 posts
    2. attach_file 74 attachments

Search this Thread

Coronavirus COVID-19

Pa Dax 
Netherlands
Price Action Scientist

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, IB TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2,006
Thanks Received: 6,318

srgtroy View Post
Re-read the article.

These results are coming from Phase III trials already in progress. This drug is an FDA approved Ebola drug being re-purposed so its already undergone a lot of testing and can move through the system quickly.

Yes, a vaccine is the perfect solution but who knows when that will happen if ever. If this drug is effective, the main question becomes how long it takes to scale up. If it works as well as is described in the article, it will make a significant difference imho.

Gilead says results of the trial will be released end of April, and until then, everything is anecdotal.

Sorry, but Remdesivir is not an FDA approved drug. The article itself states: Remdesivir is not yet licensed or approved anywhere globally and has not been demonstrated to be safe or effective for any use.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

srgtroy 
Los Angeles, California Republic
Legendary  R.I.P. 1965-2023 

Experience: None
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: CQG
Thanks Given: 1,375
Thanks Received: 3,722

Pa Dax View Post
Sorry, but Remdesivir is not an FDA approved drug. The article itself states: Remdesivir is not yet licensed or approved anywhere globally and has not been demonstrated to be safe or effective for any use.

Yes, you are correct, it is not yet FDA approved. Nevertheless, these are Phase III trials and the FDA stands ready to fast-track this if the results are good.

Update:

Now I know why I was confused. It did have 'Orphan Drug' status, but gave that up for business reasons I guess. Still, it shows the FDA is ready to go on this if the results are good:

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/coronavirus-gilead-remdesivir-orphan-drug/574882/

R.I.P. Roy Goldberg (srgtroy), 1965-2023.
Please visit [url="https://nexusfi.com/off-topic/60226-srgtroy-r-i-p-brotha.html[/url] for more information.
Thanked by:
 brightside 
columbus, oh

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: sierrachart
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 67

Interesting illustration of droplet spread with/without a mask:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800?query=featured_home

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Pa Dax View Post
... the damage has already been done. Furloughs, closures, job losses. A reopening of any kind will not suddenly bring back money to those who lost it. So great news for human health if it's true, but we'll have to see about the rest. A vaccin, if one can be found at all is really what is needed.

srgtroy View Post
Yes, a vaccine is the perfect solution but who knows when that will happen if ever. If this drug is effective, the main question becomes how long it takes to scale up. If it works as well as is described in the article, it will make a significant difference imho.

Gilead says results of the trial will be released end of April, and until then, everything is anecdotal.

Will this be a game changer? None of us can know right now, one way or another.

But this, and all other drug therapies, will be objectively evaluated by professionals who understand what they are doing, unlike the internet rumors that have excited some.

So, although I am in the dark on this, I know that there are people working on this who are not. My only comments on the merits -- and my comments are of very limited value -- are that it is in Phase 3, which means that the professionals are fine with the criteria of phases 1 (safety) and 2 (efficacy), and are evaluating for the phase 3 criteria (efficiency -- don't ask me how "efficiency" is different from "efficacy," but I assume that they know .)

Given that, FDA can expedite approval, depending on the results.

So, would an approved drug treatment be a game changer? Yes, but not as big a changer as a vaccine. But now there is no treatment at all, except to use ventilators to help the patients breathe if they develop pneumonia -- which means, it is up to your body to recover, and doctors can help a little if you are at the extreme level that is near death due to respiratory failure, but that's all, and it often doesn't work. A drug treatment that makes it a treatable disease, reduces death rates and gets patients out of the hospital sooner would alter the game in a huge way.

It would not solve the problem, nor make everything safe, nor restore normality, but it would reduce the impact considerably, and if it turns out that having the virus conveys any immunity (which is not yet certain, but it is thought to be likely) then the ability for people to get well after getting the illness will in fact change things profoundly, as the number of immune ex-patients will rise quickly and blunt the spread of the virus to new people.

Again, I don't know, but the professionals will, and they will do the job that needs to be done to answer the questions. Personally, I am hopeful, but my hope won't change anything. It's up to science, and it always was.

One thing I am sure of is that all these medical and scientific questions have to get out of the hands of political people and partisans of one sort or another, and into the hands of medical and scientific people who deal with facts, not political power or self-interest or winning. It's a big mistake to make every question a political question, which quite a few people basically have done, to their own eventual detriment as well as everyone else's. (Short rant, now over. )

So my non-ranting comment is that I hope this works, and we will have to wait until we know.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

brightside View Post
Interesting illustration of droplet spread with/without a mask:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2007800?query=featured_home

This is extremely interesting, but they used a "slightly damp washcloth" rather than a mask, which slightly disappointed me -- the reason being that (a) your mask probably won't be slightly damp in the same way that the washcloth was, and (b) I think it is likely that the water on the washcloth would capture the wet droplets more efficiently than a dry material.

Even so, it does say something about not exposing other people to the output of your unfiltered speech, and about the need for masking in public to slow the spread of the disease.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Pa Dax 
Netherlands
Price Action Scientist

Platform: NinjaTrader, IB TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Thanks Given: 2,006
Thanks Received: 6,318

srgtroy View Post
Yes, you are correct, it is not yet FDA approved. Nevertheless, these are Phase III trials and the FDA stands ready to fast-track this if the results are good.

Update:

Now I know why I was confused. It did have 'Orphan Drug' status, but gave that up for business reasons I guess. Still, it shows the FDA is ready to go on this if the results are good:

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/coronavirus-gilead-remdesivir-orphan-drug/574882/

That's true but you should expect that more than 1 Phase III trial should be needed. If there's one thing bio or pharma companies like to do it is to report that study results look promising. Truth is that it's much more complex. For example, you can have 90 out of a 100 patients recovering but if only 1 of them dies unexpectedly, the results are still good yet it might take many months to investigate the reason for the lost live and that will hinder study completion. I've lived and breathed in the pharma world for a very long time and I've seen the most promising clinical trials go bust.

Again, all good news, but you said game changer and I think we're far from. This is more likely to be a seasonal thing that'll come back every now and then and it might well be that the 6 feet world is here to stay for a while and that we'll move between localized outbreaks and local shelter-at-home measures until there's a more permanent solution...

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

Pa Dax View Post
Again, all good news, but you said game changer and I think we're far from.

To be fair (and may be semantics) but there was a question mark after "game changer"

Hopefully a useful solution will turn up soon for people in need. Until then, we know what we have to do to keep this thing at bay and slow it from spreading further.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Trailer Guy 
Aguanga, CA USA

Platform: Ninja Trader 8
Broker: IB, NinjaTrader Brokerage, Schwab
Thanks Given: 68
Thanks Received: 387

srgtroy View Post
Re-read the article.

These results are coming from Phase III trials already in progress. This drug is an FDA approved Ebola drug being re-purposed so its already undergone a lot of testing and can move through the system quickly.

My daughters best friend is a Doctor in Washington State working the Corona intensive care wards. The anecdotal info is maybe 1 in 6 are unhooked from a respirator to go home, 5 in 6 are put in bags. If this drug changes the equation it makes it much much easier for governors to open things back up.

Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

Phd in microbiology top doctor in the field

16:45
"It's not dangerous according to a doctor in La who prescribes it for 2,000 patients suffering from Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis " for 6 days "the risk is nil"

poll with 6,000 doctors recommend it.

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

srgtroy 
Los Angeles, California Republic
Legendary  R.I.P. 1965-2023 

Experience: None
Broker: CQG
Thanks Given: 1,375
Thanks Received: 3,722

The Pandemic Is Only Just Getting Started

People are understandably looking for good news. But the truth is, we’re nowhere near controlling coronavirus

R.I.P. Roy Goldberg (srgtroy), 1965-2023.
Please visit [url="https://nexusfi.com/off-topic/60226-srgtroy-r-i-p-brotha.html[/url] for more information.

Last Updated on January 19, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts