NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Coronavirus COVID-19

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one aquarian1 with 131 posts (129 thanks)
    2. looks_two Blash with 60 posts (136 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 43 posts (180 thanks)
    4. looks_4 AllSeeker with 43 posts (75 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 4.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Blash with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 aquarian1 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 104,485 views
    2. thumb_up 1,277 thanks given
    3. group 264 followers
    1. forum 582 posts
    2. attach_file 74 attachments

Search this Thread

Coronavirus COVID-19

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,523
Thanks Received: 26,292

lemons View Post
Please remove

Off-Topic (20 Viewing)
Anything not to do with trading. This forum is not moderated, but don't go too crazy

Clever, but you understand the point.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Platform: IB and free NT
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,509
Thanks Received: 2,593

bobwest View Post
Hi @aquarian1,

While this clip features a political figure, and there are parts of it that are about his political views on other matters, the covid-19 portion is more about the question of when herd immunity is reached and is not overtly political (one could argue otherwise, but not at least on the face of it.) For that reason, it has been allowed to stand, even though it skirts the edges of politics, including in the covid-19 section.

I just want to caution everyone again about politics as opposed to trading information. The covid situation inspires strong feelings and strong views, but this forum is dedlicated to trading, and political issues do not have a place here. Since politics and the effects of the virus will impact the markets, there is a place for discussion of the possible impact it may have on markets, but not to express political opinions on either side.

With the election approaching and with covid having emerged as an important election issue, the no-politics stance of futures.io is doubly important.

Pure political expressions will be deleted as inappropriate. Posts that skirt politics will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, but adding to the political controversy is not the mission of this forum, and whether it does or not will be the basis for any decision.

There are plenty of places on the internet for politics, but this is not one of them. I hope everyone takes this to heart going forward.

Thanks.

Bob.

Hi Bob,
This video was posted about herd immunity in NY and the gentleman quotes John Hopkins university and Journal of Science with new information on the mathematics of herd immunity in New York - "if there are not a significant number of new deaths in New York in the next few weeks herd immunity has been reached."

Fauci has invested interests in making the Yuhan flu worst than it should be so as to promote his vaccine interests.

I am not aware of what part is political but I have no way or time to edit youtube clips. (I have no interest in USA politics and its circle of absurdities).

This is in off-topic which is for non-trading issues "Anything not to do with trading."

Beware of the corruption of power, censorship and the destruction of the constitution amendment for free speech. I am dismayed at your post.

Please provide the specific link to the futures.io policy you are citing so I may more fully informed of the Draconian edict.

I started this thread for Co-vid views and herd immunity is a key topic.

peace, love and joy to you
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

aquarian1 View Post
  • The virus started in Wuhan
  • It probably came from a bio-lab where a scientist was trying to make a flu so strong even bats would die from it
  • It may have spread from the bio-warfare alb to the live market only a few 300m away
  • Suppressing the info the flu until the first death (~8 Jan)
  • reports are in that the Chinese are cremating the bodies and lying about the body count.
  • quarantines are stringent and too little to late
  • jail-time 7yrs awaits those that non-govt approved info
  • The WHO director receives large amounts of money from the Chinese govt downplays the virus
  • CDC has been refused entry into China until a couple of days ago.
  • 1/2 of the Chinese pop is now under quarantine
  • the Chinese workers have been ordered to return to work
  • Hong Kong closes schools and many ex-pats are leaving to continuing their childrens school studies abroad
  • food hording is adding to Hong Kong pressures
  • The flu can be asymptotic for 14 days and those people infecting others may show no systems making screening by temperature not effective in this period
  • the virus can live many days (9+) on surfaces both hard and soft surfaces - CCP is reported burning currency in heavily infected areas
  • the flu spreads though the air and a sneeze or cough can fill the air with tiny droplets
  • both mask and eye protection are needed
  • The US flies home 14 Americans off the Japanese quarantined ship on a plane with 300 others.
  • Tokyo cancels its enormous annual marathon
  • In Spain a large annual hi-tech conference is cancelled
  • Apple announces delays in iPhone production from Chinese plant
  • Some investment houses forecast GDP slow-downs

February 23rd, 2020, 12:12 AM

Thanked by:

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

I have generated 473 posts, 37,149 views for futures.io
with this thread located in Traders Hideout

37,000 views is not insignificant traffic for the site - generating add revenue and hits to increase the value of the site.

The site is for traders.

In off-topic we have things like joke of the day - health - exercise - and so on.
Off-topic is for traders to relax in and NOT FOR TRADING topics.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

@aquarian1, your questions raise legitimate points.

Let me respond as I see it, and I hope with fairness.

The forum is meant as a place for traders to discuss any issue freely, without the personal conflict that is common on the internet. The moderators sometimes have to intervene, but we want to be fair and to keep the right balance. This can be a difficult job, and we may not always succeed. It is actually not in my nature to tell people what to do, and I may not do it well.

Reading over the recent posts, I think I did not manage the correct balance, so let me try it again.

The issue that I was addressing was the potential for political disagreement to spiral out of hand. We have seen this recently in other cases in other threads, where current issues that are currently contentious politically also set members at odds over things that have nothing to do with trading. It was with this in mind that I made my comments on the video clip you posted, which featured a prominent and vocal member of one of the political parties.

Note that I said that "the covid-19 portion is more about the question of when herd immunity is reached and is not overtly political." I understand that you could not edit out the non-covid-19 sections, and have no problem with that, since the other parts were not why you had included the clip. The herd immunity question is important and relevant.

Your post itself did not have a political motivation, nor was it in violation of any rules about member conduct. My concern was about the polarizing effect when political arguments arise, and I wanted to call attention to that. I stated it wrongly with regard to your post, and somewhat overdid it overall, and I apologize.

I envy you when you say you have no interest in USA politics, and wish I could not either. But the political parties have made the coronavirus one of the major issues -- specifically, whether it's serious or not, or false or not, and which party is at fault and which party is telling the truth about it or not.

There is no desire to censor your posts. If you or anyone posts something that is simply stating a position and citing sources and evidence, which is what you have done, there is no problem. If someone else disagrees with that position and provides counter-evidence, there is also no problem, even if the disagreements get passionate. This is called debate, and is fine.

But if someone, anyone, starts to repeat campaign slogans and political rhetoric, and moves things in a divisive direction, that will be another matter, and will be a problem. This is what I should have said at the time. I also should have been clear it was a general warning, not aimed at you, and why I thought it was necessary.

I hope I am making it clear now what I'm trying to say. I am certainly not perfect, and may get things wrong, and may be wrong now. But this is done out of wanting the forum to succeed in providing a place for traders to have discussions on an amicable and mutually respectful basis. This view on politics, that it has no place in the forum, is also the settled position of the entire moderation team and @Big Mike, and we have had extensive discussions about it well before this latest issue arose.

So, this is my expanded explanation of what I was driving at, and I hope it clarifies matters.

Bob.

-------------------

Edit: By the way, I believe I will move this thread back to what I think was its original home of Off Topic. I think it was moved to Traders Hideout when the virus was bursting into people's awareness in the early days and no one knew what to think about it. Now, the opinions are pretty much set in stone. Off Topic can also be about any topic, not necessarily trade-related, as has been pointed out.

lemons 
Tallinn, Estonia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Trading: NAS100

Lets get real for real

Covid deaths in Estonia 64
Deaths directly caused alcohol 299*
Deaths by alcohol poisoning 105* ( included in 299 )

What is alcohol poisoning ? You drink too much and you are dead in couple of hours !

* on same period of covid deahts.

Covid is nothing compared what really kills people !

aquarian1 
Point Roberts, WA, USA

Bob thank-you for your post above.
I appreciate it.
I think that perhaps breaking the post into two posts may have been better.
The general warning in a second.
---------

In researching the harmful effects of 5G on the human body I went to a youtube of the FCC head being grilled in congress about the fact they still hadn't done the study congress requested over 3 years ago. Now to be grilled in congress it is almost always by a congressman/woman.

That does not make the G5 youtube a politcal video because a congress person is doing the grilling.

Ditto the grilling a Fauci.

I think the phrasing used bothered me and I responded to it as an "attack".

I do feel strongly about free speech.
  • Skirting the edge = imlication +> I was trying to sneak something by. Wrong.
  • "Featured" a politician = wrong it "contained" a congressman grilling Fauci
Should you find a video about the studies on herd immunity and I'm find with deleting my post of the video.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

aquarian1 View Post
Bob thank-you for your post above.
I appreciate it.
I think that perhaps breaking the post into two posts may have been better.
The general warning in a second.
---------

In researching the harmful effects of 5G on the human body I went to a youtube of the FCC head being grilled in congress about the fact they still hadn't done the study congress requested over 3 years ago. Now to be grilled in congress it is almost always by a congressman/woman.

That does not make the G5 youtube a politcal video because a congress person is doing the grilling.

Ditto the grilling a Fauci.

I think the phrasing used bothered me and I responded to it as an "attack".

I do feel strongly about free speech.
  • Skirting the edge = imlication +> I was trying to sneak something by. Wrong.
  • "Featured" a politician = wrong it "contained" a congressman grilling Fauci
Should you find a video about the studies on herd immunity and I'm find with deleting my post of the video.

The video's not a problem, and I think that by now enough has been said (by me at least) to make the points I had in mind.

I do see how the phrasing would sound as it did, and that was my mistake in word choice. As well as my not seeing how another person would take something, which I usually am more alert to.

So I think I'm done, at least.

Thanks for the response. I did want to be sure I cleaned things up.

Bob.

Thanked by:
Shaban
Turin + Italy

Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 129

This article is very interesting:

https://intermarketandmore.finanza.com/covid-19-e-le-grandi-pandemie-del-passato-90183.html

COVID-19 and the great pandemics of the past:

If we listen to television, if we read the newspapers, we seem to be living in the nightmare of the Covid-19, a pandemic disaster never seen before.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/23pw94jh/covid-19-contagi.jpg[/img]

However, we must be realistic. It is true that the number of deaths and about 24 million infected makes an impression, but if we try to look back, making the necessary proportions (since today there are 6 billion on planet Earth), how devastating is this Covid-19 percentage?

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fbggjSdj/crisi-pandemia-covid-19.png[/img] exzotic

Thanked by:
redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 426

Shaban, your thoughts are appreciated. When I was in grade/primary school in the 60's, there was a TV show called "The Twilight Zone". The cast would find themselves in strange, weird and bizarre situations.

When I walk into a store with most of the shoppers wearing masks, I remember that show. People look like drones. And the stares, folks wondering why I DON'T wear a mask. If they believe masks work, then they should be "safe" huh?

Very sad times. I understand the perversity of government edicts, but the most frightening part is the blind allegiance that the "not vulnerable" folks pay to the government so they will stay "safe".

No smiling at passerby's. I feel sorry for the young men and women who hope to see a pretty face and get a date.

I wonder what Pavorotti, Carreras and Domingo would sound like singing with masks on?

My late father told me when I was just a lad, "son, the most important thing to have in this life is COMMON SENSE!".

I glad that you are of the few that seem to have it.

Thanks for your post!

Last Updated on January 19, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts