NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Coronavirus COVID-19

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one aquarian1 with 131 posts (129 thanks)
    2. looks_two Blash with 60 posts (136 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 43 posts (180 thanks)
    4. looks_4 AllSeeker with 43 posts (75 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 4.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Blash with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 aquarian1 with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 104,435 views
    2. thumb_up 1,277 thanks given
    3. group 264 followers
    1. forum 582 posts
    2. attach_file 74 attachments

Search this Thread

Coronavirus COVID-19

srgtroy 
Los Angeles, California Republic
Legendary  R.I.P. 1965-2023 

Experience: None
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 1,375
Thanks Received: 3,722

German shoppers not rushing back as stores reopen

You can build it but they may not come, at least not so quickly.

R.I.P. Roy Goldberg (srgtroy), 1965-2023.
Please visit [url="https://nexusfi.com/off-topic/60226-srgtroy-r-i-p-brotha.html[/url] for more information.
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,515
Thanks Received: 26,292

srgtroy View Post
German shoppers not rushing back as stores reopen

You can build it but they may not come, at least not so quickly.

Fortunately, people are rational when their own survival is at stake. When it's politics, or other peoples' survival, maybe not so much. But few will rush in to situations that may not be safe for them, just in case. We will have to see if the instinct for self-preservation continues to function or not.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
Thanked by:

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Thanks Given: 11,341
Thanks Received: 2,747

What if it was...

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

srgtroy 

bobwest View Post
Fortunately, people are rational when their own survival is at stake. When it's politics, or other peoples' survival, maybe not so much.

Bob.

So true!

Please visit [url="https://nexusfi.com/off-topic/60226-srgtroy-r-i-p-brotha.html[/url] for more information.
Thanked by:

srgtroy 

DavidHP View Post
What if it was...

Not so fast:

Coronavirus Kills More Americans in One Month Than the Flu Kills in One Year

The seasonal flu kills 0.1 percent of people infected, but the new coronavirus has already killed 0.1 percent of the entire population of the state of New York. That may seem like a small percentage. But imagine the entire country getting hit as badly as New York state: 0.1 percent of the U.S. population is 330,000 people. And there’s no reason to believe that New York’s current death toll marks the upper limit of the virus’s lethality.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

casey44 View Post
Putting this here purely fwiw, in a forum open to varied perspectives. I've no interest in debating. Don't shoot the messenger. Tired of the whole topic, as I try to keep up to date minimally. By that I mean it's too easy to be consumed by the enormity of it all and neglect focusing on things in our control. Better things to do in the few hours we have each day.

I totally agree, and agree also with both the "forum being open to varied perspectives" and with being "Tired of the whole topic."

Although tired of all this, I'll just add this statistic:

As of tonight, Johns Hopkins University is reporting that the US has had a total of 839,675 confirmed cases, and 46,853 definite covid-related deaths. That works out to 5.58% actual real mortality rate for infected people in the US to date. It is being found that quite a few deaths that were attributed to pneumonia or heart disease or other causes were really due to covid, but this is not included in these numbers. The flu has a mortality rate of about 0.1%.

(Source for Johns Hopkins: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html )

By the way, the rate of increase in the US is going up at an insane rate. Also from Johns Hopkins, here is the whole picture (US only), including the rate of new infections:

This is really not some kind of minor thing that is being exaggerated by the media or by the villain or your choice. It's actually happening.

And I am deathly tired of talking about this, just as if there were some reason to doubt it....

Bob.

Thanked by:

srgtroy 

bobwest View Post
I totally agree, and agree also with both the "forum being open to varied perspectives" and with being "Tired of the whole topic."

Although tired of all this, I'll just add this statistic:

As of tonight, Johns Hopkins University is reporting that the US has had a total of 839,675 confirmed cases, and 46,853 definite covid-related deaths. That works out to 5.58% actual real mortality rate for infected people in the US to date. It is being found that quite a few deaths that were attributed to pneumonia or heart disease or other causes were really due to covid, but this is not included in these numbers. The flu has a mortality rate of about 0.1%.

(Source for Johns Hopkins: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html )

By the way, the rate of increase in the US is going up at an insane rate. Also from Johns Hopkins, here is the whole picture (US only), including the rate of new infections:

This is really not some kind of minor thing that is being exaggerated by the media or by the villain or your choice. It's actually happening.

And I am deathly tired of talking about this, just as if there were some reason to doubt it....

Bob.

I totally agree, Bob.

I am not interested in inflating the issue, nor deflating it. At this point I am only interested in rendering an increasingly accurate picture of this phenomenon based on the science alone. But its tiresome to hear constant assertions that in fact basically nothing happened out of the ordinary. If so, why were hospitals around the globe completely over-run? That doesn't happen every year during the seasonal flu. Something is going on and we need to figure out what exactly. People may feel like there was an initial over-reaction, and that might turn out to be the case, but if so, it is only because we were horribly under-prepared and had to react blindly.

We can leave the political blame game as to why that was the case till after we get things back to 'normal'. Right now I'm more interested in understanding what 'normal' looks like and how we get there. I suspect normal will mean different things to different people depending, in part, on their age and health.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

srgtroy View Post
We can leave the political blame game as to why that was the case till after we get things back to 'normal'. Right now I'm more interested in understanding what 'normal' looks like and how we get there.

I had a good discussion with my neighbor the other day, who supports Trump (he doesn't like him, but he supports his policies; I don't like him either, and I don't support his policies ). He and I completely agreed about the virus and about what we should be doing about it (he owns a company that is shut down due to the restrictions, so he has serious skin in the game.) We also agreed that it is a damn shame that everything is partisan now, and that politicians on opposite sides don't trust each other and can't work with each other except under unusual conditions. He said that they used to be able to find some mutual ground and get things done, and I absolutely agreed.

He said that in the daily briefings, they should cut the political talk in the beginning and let the doctors come on and tell us what we need to know. How could anyone disagree?

Not everything is political. Not everything is about what side you are on. Not everything is about your side winning. (This is meant as a general comment on politics, not toward anyone on this forum. Members are both diverse in their opinions and mutually respectful, on the whole, although often argumentative, which is totally fine.)

As on this forum, there needs to be a tolerance and acceptance of other points of view, civility toward others and a willingness to accept that others have an equal right to what they believe, but that we still need to find common ground when it matters.

Somehow, this has dropped out of public discourse.

Fortunately, I think that most regular people still think this way. It is said that Tip O'Neill and Ronald Reagan (I hope people reading this will still know who these guys were ) could argue and fight all day and then have a drink together that night. Probably this is just a story, but it's what we should aim for.

Just my opinion, but it is my opinion.

Bob.

Mabi 
sweden

Platform: NinjaTrader,MetaTrader
Trading: futures, FX
Thanks Given: 121
Thanks Received: 136

China locked another 5 mio city for 28 days yesterday. Harbin, i have been there a couple of times last year.

artmaan 
Leipzig Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierrachart
Trading: mnq
Thanks Given: 93
Thanks Received: 20

srgtroy View Post
If so, why were hospitals around the globe completely over-run? That doesn't happen every year during the seasonal flu.

i wouldnt say hospitals around the globe were completely over-run, here in europe there were some areas which had problems like bergamo and madrid, but overral its wasnt like the mainstream media would like it to be, in germany most of the hospitals were most of the time empty, bracause they wouldnt allow other patients than covid, and the covid patients didnt really showed up. yet, all they show in the media is a constant stream of fear...

if you check the mortality data for germany, you will see that the last few months less people died than in the years before.

in other eu countrys there are increased spikes this year.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/

ger

Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 19, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts