NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Data feeds and execution - CQG, Rithmic, Tradovate (and more?)

Discussion in Brokers

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ales19 with 5 posts (4 thanks)
    2. looks_two matthew28 with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 1 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 tr8er with 1 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Zytrade with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 matthew28 with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 ales19 with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 18,216 views
    2. thumb_up 16 thanks given
    3. group 13 followers
    1. forum 14 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Data feeds and execution - CQG, Rithmic, Tradovate (and more?)

grayfrog 
Los Angeles, CA

Experience: Advanced
Thanks Given: 42
Thanks Received: 13

ales19 View Post
Hello, this is my first post here (excluding intro) so hopefully I will not mess up too badly and break too many rules
I have searched the forums and read the threads on the topic I am going to ask about but the info I found was not sufficient for me to get a clear understanding, so here it goes:

I am basically trying to determine the best data feed to use when I go back to trading live and I am trying to get my head around the different facets I need to consider to select the best solution for me. To give context I am focused on scalping and have no automation/algo involved (except an automated stop loss and take profit order entered by my trading platform upon execution). I use Jigsaw Daytradr.

So far I am considering the following 3 data feed providers (CQG, Rithmic, Tradovate) and this is what I found out about them so far:

CQG: solid all-round solution with cheap round-turn fees of $0.20, shows 10 price levels and 1 month of historic tick data, can suffer lags/freezes when market spikes occur, like after a Trump tweet or news event
Rithmic: highly reliable but "expensive" solution at $0.50 round-turn fees, shows entire order book (20+ price levels) but only 1 day of historic tick data, performs great even under high data flows due to news events.
Tradovate: cheapest solution if monthly $199 flat fee adopted (only exchange, clearing and routing fees owed), shows 10 price levels and 2 weeks of historic tick data (as far as I can tell), reliability in high data flows due to news events is unknown

So, from a price point of view Tradovate seems to be the best, however I do not know how they hold up as far as reliability goes.
I know there are other providers like TT, CTS, IQ but they all seemed more expensive without offering any advantage from what I could tell.

Also, I am unclear how execution is affected by the choice of data feed provider?

Any help sorting this out (and correcting any mistakes I made above) would be greatly appreciated.

This is a great post. Thank you for such an articulate and well laid out question with good prompts. I look forward to reading the responses.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks
 forex jim 
Princeton NJ, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Bookmap, Volumetrica
Broker: AMP futures
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 21

I am not sure why you quote execution costs, but in terms of data-feed, I would go with Rithmic. They are super professional and their feed is super fast and accurate. As far as i know it is the only provider that has the full order book + Market By Order data + tagged iceberg and stop orders.

In terms of oder execution: I think Rithmic is also the winner here in terms of speed and reliability. As I said, they are super professional. Hedge funds use them.

Zytrade  Zytrade is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 8

Many traders have preferred Rithmic data but went with CQG for the cost. We are excited to now offer Rithmic at the same transaction cost as CQG.

https://futures.zytrade.com/all-in-pricing/

Risk Disclaimer: There is a substantial risk of loss in trading futures, options and forex. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results.
Thanked by:
Mozart2112
Minoqua Wi USA

Thanks Given: 68
Thanks Received: 82

Someone once told me "don't trip over pennies on your way to making dollars" so I would recommend Rithmic like many here have already for all the same reasons. Quality always costs a little more. I, however, use CQG because I found no reason to switch over. Personally I never had any lagging issues with CQG and I think it's also fast and reliable compared to Rithmic. Tradovate, I'm not so sure about. Tradovate uses CQG as you now know but, I've heard there are additional connection and platform fees on top of their standard commissions plan... I'm just saying.

Thanked by:
 Arch 
W.Coast, USA.

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Anything
Trading: Emini
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 381

What are the benefits of MBO (unfiltered) data over MBP for retail traders? I personally do not find much use in seeing the full order book since the levels far above and below the current price can change anytime and doesn't seem useful for TA. Is MBO mainly useful for order flow analysis? Is there anything else?

Also, I'm using a demo version of Rithmic and with 30ms roundtrip, I still experience a delay with order execution and confirmation. It also takes about 60-120seconds to establish a connection, while on CQG (live) it is almost instant (sometimes with a few seconds of delay).

Last Updated on December 19, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts