NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Finally Turning the Corner, tha "its 80% Psychology" thing...

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one TropicalTrader with 106 posts (511 thanks)
    2. looks_two joe s with 14 posts (15 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 8 posts (52 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Sandpaddict with 8 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Grantx with 8.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 6.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 5.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 TropicalTrader with 4.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 61,535 views
    2. thumb_up 971 thanks given
    3. group 599 followers
    1. forum 241 posts
    2. attach_file 12 attachments

View Poll Results: Do You Even Scalp Bro?
Nope 63 27.39%
Nope
63 27.39%
Yea, under 10 round-turns a day 95 41.30%
Yea, under 10 round-turns a day
95 41.30%
Yea, avg 10-20 round-turns a day 46 20.00%
Yea, avg 10-20 round-turns a day
46 20.00%
Yea, over 20 round-turns a day 26 11.30%
Yea, over 20 round-turns a day
26 11.30%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Finally Turning the Corner, tha "its 80% Psychology" thing...

TropicalTrader 
Vancouver Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: EdgeClear Rithmic
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 241
Thanks Received: 552

"double top killer" trade in progress.. (I made up the name, its on my list of trades I may take) Those times when you know it wants to go grab the stops above the double top. only 1/2 position because I got in a bit late so left some for a retrace which didnt come. (Original stop was at equal distance to target and moved up by the time I made this screenshot. ) I saw a strong impulse.

Follow me on Twitter Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Grantx 
Reading UK
Legendary no drama Llama

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 2,826
Thanks Received: 5,058

I've just watched the webinar you posted and it was very good. A few points I picked out (my favourite is tick-itis ) :
  1. If you are trading for validation or to make money then you won't have a feel for the market. I mean we all trade to make money but there is a difference between doing something for money and doing something out of desperation.
  2. Vigilance and attention do not have to mean action.
  3. Manage your feelings first and then trade. Don't trade to manage your feelings (boredom, greed)
  4. Everyone has un-met developmental needs. Impatience, anger, all the emotions that trading brings out in us are simply reverberations of something deeper.
  5. Low contentedness and low satisfaction in life are associated with 'grabbing'. This has been identified in rats, monkeys and humans. If you can find some way of balancing your life then perhaps you will take less impulsive trades ie there will be less grabbing and more patience.
  6. Tick-itis. An affliction where you ride every trade tick by tick. Every tick in your favour brings relief and hope. Every tick against you is a personal attack and assault on your senses.
  7. Our shortcomings are triggered frequently with the market such as getting angry when you take a loss. You will have an edge if you overcome this.
  8. Where on the spectrum do you exist? On one end is risk aversion where you trade not to lose, feel the desire to be right, hesitate on trades, exit trades early. On the other end is risk-taking where you trade to make money. I don't know what the downside to this end is. He didn't go into it. Maybe addiction?

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing that.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 TropicalTrader 
Vancouver Canada

out with small profit, proabiities just declined

~I think in probabilities (rational brain)~

TropicalTrader 
Vancouver Canada

Grantx View Post
I've just watched the webinar you posted and it was very good. A few points I picked out (my favourite is tick-itis ) :
  1. If you are trading for validation or to make money then you won't have a feel for the market. I mean we all trade to make money but there is a difference between doing something for money and doing something out of desperation.
  2. Vigilance and attention do not have to mean action.
  3. Manage your feelings first and then trade. Don't trade to manage your feelings (boredom, greed)
  4. Everyone has un-met developmental needs. Impatience, anger, all the emotions that trading brings out in us are simply reverberations of something deeper.
  5. Low contentedness and low satisfaction in life are associated with 'grabbing'. This has been identified in rats, monkeys and humans. If you can find some way of balancing your life then perhaps you will take less impulsive trades ie there will be less grabbing and more patience.
  6. Tick-itis. An affliction where you ride every trade tick by tick. Every tick in your favour brings relief and hope. Every tick against you is a personal attack and assault on your senses.
  7. Our shortcomings are triggered frequently with the market such as getting angry when you take a loss. You will have an edge if you overcome this.
  8. Where on the spectrum do you exist? On one end is risk aversion where you trade not to lose, feel the desire to be right, hesitate on trades, exit trades early. On the other end is risk-taking where you trade to make money. I don't know what the downside to this end is. He didn't go into it. Maybe addiction?

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing that.

Nice, Thanks for sharing this! GEMS

ya, tick-itis is a thang..

5-10 years I was a yogi (teaching yoga & doing webdesign in tropical places like Koh Phangan Thailand and Big Island, Hawaii) and as I did/had done lots of meditation, I thought I had my mental game down. But, it wasn't "suffish".. There's a lot to the performance arts. Its relatively easy to be cool when our stress levels are low, what about when the stress levels are higher? Do you tilt? and if so: how often and how badly?

TropicalTrader 
Vancouver Canada

I'll take this "all night" too!

I call this a "roof reversal triple-top @ supply zone"

Thanked by:
 TropicalTrader 
Vancouver Canada

Thanked by:
 TropicalTrader 
Vancouver Canada

out early on the 2nd 1/2, I don't like this range on 2 minute, probabilities changing..

Thanked by:
 TropicalTrader 
Vancouver Canada

"squeeze buy"

looks like sellers aren't so eager after all.. time to get the stops, squeeze them shorts boys..

(my entry was a few points later then I would prefer)... trading is not a game of perfect..

Thanked by:
 TropicalTrader 
Vancouver Canada

This might fail, adjusted stops to "I'm wrong here level", I like the "perceived probability" and R factor is reasonable. If this fails might get another opportunity at a lower level (biased to the long side right now, after large impulse and order zone above).

Thanked by:
 TropicalTrader 
Vancouver Canada

That trade failed.

That's where I say: Thank you Loss! What can you teach me so I'll be a better trader?

(opposite of getting angry/bitchy, vibe-control in effect)

Giving it another shot: "Range Reversal"

Last Updated on April 13, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts