NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Factor of N

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Eric j with 121 posts (195 thanks)
    2. looks_two zt379 with 12 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 11 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 shodson with 8 posts (3 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Eric j with 1.6 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 1.1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 zt379 with 0.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 33,659 views
    2. thumb_up 223 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 164 posts
    2. attach_file 190 attachments

Search this Thread

Factor of N

Trader.Jon 
Near the BEuTiFULL Horse Shoe

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: MBTrading Dukascopy ZenFire
Trading: $EURUSD when it is trending
Thanks Given: 401
Thanks Received: 184

Eric j View Post
The switch bar and pattern presented itself 3 times recently . All are in whats described in this thread as the retracement zone ( albeit on the LTF here ) but I do notice the 2nd comfirms the double top and the 3rd confirms the head and shoulders . Theres no denying this pattern is a heads up that a trend is weakening and is a credible tool for forcasting turns .

Eric,

VERY interesting! Have never seen that described before ... have you setup a strategy or indicator to test for that setup?

TJ

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

Trader.Jon 

Eric j View Post
Range analysis for EU . Between 6 - 8 AM EST theres a consistent lull . Im not concerned with the "why" things are only"when" things are but an explanation for this could be London lunch , only one market open and waiting for the NY open .
I believe they build positions when we least expect it and unwind them when we are all there to absorb their activity without throwing prices off . This explains to me why you see prices go directional in the off hours ONCE IN A WHILE , not every day .

Eric,

I also noticed that when I was starting to design my strategy: working at about a 145->215 EST start and dont start any trade after 520 ... kill any runner after 530 when it starts going the wrong way or stalls. I tend to agree on the lunch/nap time for the UK traders.

TJ

Trader.Jon 

Fat Tails View Post
When to trade?

I have had this in mind for a longer time, so I just coded a little indicator that calculates the average hourly range for a specific time of a weekday over a user selectable period. Example:

Fat Tails, that is a wonderful piece of work! Is there any possibility of allowing us to use that indie?

Jon

Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

Trader.Jon View Post
Fat Tails, that is a wonderful piece of work! Is there any possibility of allowing us to use that indie?

Jon

Yes, opened a separate thread in the Elite-Section, where I display the results for other contracts. Still testing the indie (coded it this afternoon), but will make it available, once I am sure that it works correctly.

Eric j 
NY

Platform: Esignal, MBT navigator
Trading: Currencies
Thanks Given: 1,396
Thanks Received: 2,576

Trader.Jon View Post
Eric,

VERY interesting! Have never seen that described before ... have you setup a strategy or indicator to test for that setup?

TJ

No , just keep an eye out for when it occurs . Its not necessarily a reversal but more often trendus interuptus .

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 Eric j 
NY

shodson View Post
I don't know all of the details but that's one of the thing I gleaned from a Shadowtraders webinar that they teach: most big players position themselves pre-market and close out to the public during RTH

Its the backbone of many theories about the elusive " big guys " . VSA and Tom Williams influenced me a lot and when you see evidence in afterhours its believable .

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

shodson View Post
I don't know all of the details but that's one of the thing I gleaned from a Shadowtraders webinar that they teach: most big players position themselves pre-market and close out to the public during RTH

If you look at the volume analysis below, the story is different. The pre-market volume is insignificant, so most of the big players do not position themselves pre-market. Anyhow, the guys are not working during night!

I think that the big players wait for the noise to settle down after the market open. And if they position themselves for the next session they do so during the last hour of the previous session. This also explains some of the nice trends that develop after 3:00 PM EST and that carry over into the next day.

The night session mostly shows rangebound activity, and if the European Session trends away, it usually - but not always - retraces back to the US close of the prior day.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 09-10 (30 Min)  27_08_2010.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	19368  
Thanked by:
 Eric j 
NY

Only 1 signal today + 16 pips . I have been qualifying a " flashing " trend change condition as valid , like the one today after the 0900 bar closed when the trend changed from bullish to bearish . Didnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the bears were piling in anyway .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD  8_30_2010 (15 Min).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	19384   Click image for larger version

Name:	$EURUSD  8_30_2010 (240 Min).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	19385  
 Eric j 
NY

Fat Tails View Post
If you look at the volume analysis below, the story is different. The pre-market volume is insignificant, so most of the big players do not position themselves pre-market. Anyhow, the guys are not working during night!

I think that the big players wait for the noise to settle down after the market open. And if they position themselves for the next session they do so during the last hour of the previous session. This also explains some of the nice trends that develop after 3:00 PM EST and that carry over into the next day.

The night session mostly shows rangebound activity, and if the European Session trends away, it usually - but not always - retraces back to the US close of the prior day.

I agree . I would tend to believe that there are levels to which the big players want to push price before pulling the rug out to unwind while price is supported . Big volume spikes at major levels are surely the work of institutionals and thats where the trapped little guys are . They want to tease the breakout traders into buying the top and selling the bottom so surely theres no choice for them but bail out because they cant hold on to the next support or resistance level far away imho .

shodson 
OC, California, USA
Quantoholic

Platform: IB/TWS, NinjaTrader, ToS
Broker: IB, ToS, Kinetick
Trading: stocks, options, futures, VIX
Thanks Given: 533
Thanks Received: 3,709

Fat Tails View Post

I tend to agree, the volume isn't there, unless there's an 8:30am EST news release or something.

As for the markets being rangebound, yeah, you could fade Bollinger extremes from globex close to London open most days pretty well.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 5, 2010

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts