NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

I'm absolutely devastated, don't know where I'm heading now

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one syswizard with 12 posts (10 thanks)
    2. looks_two jmh13 with 9 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 LiveStream with 6 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 CricStands with 6 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one wldman with 31 thanks per post
    2. looks_two MiniP with 6.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Artfldgr with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 34,647 views
    2. thumb_up 290 thanks given
    3. group 654 followers
    1. forum 144 posts
    2. attach_file 8 attachments

Search this Thread

I'm absolutely devastated, don't know where I'm heading now

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,354

JonnyBoy View Post
I agree. I believe back testing has a place, but very few profitable back tested strategies are ever profitable walking forward

If you backtest incorrectly, I 100% agree.
If you backtest correctly, though, your odds of future proftability go way up (but still no guarantee of success)

JonnyBoy View Post
and if you bring exotic bar types into the equation...forget about it.

100% agree. I have never seen an exotic bar type backtest perform the same in real time.

Nice post!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
15 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
15 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
 jmh13 
Belize SA

Experience: None
Platform: Ninja
Broker: Ninja
Trading: DC
Thanks Given: 17
Thanks Received: 129

I am a novice when it comes to back testing. Can you explain in detail how to back test "correctly" and if you can please provide examples of correct and incorrect back testing so that the struggling trader that asked this question will be well informed. Thx

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

jmh13 View Post
I am a novice when it comes to back testing. Can you explain in detail how to back test "correctly" and if you can please provide examples of correct and incorrect back testing so that the struggling trader that asked this question will be well informed. Thx

To adequately address "how to backtest" would easily fill a book, and in fact there are some very good books written on the subject by Pardo, Tomasini and others.

I have been a guest for about a dozen webinars here over the years, which you can find in the Elite section. I discuss backtesting a great deal in them. That is a good place to start.

GFIs1 
who cares
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: nobody interested
Broker: none
Trading: forget about it
Thanks Given: 6,196
Thanks Received: 15,586

cleanlogic View Post
Exactly, there are many pitfalls in backtesting. Creating a profitable system using backtesting on price series is very difficult and can only be done by those who really know what they are doing. Many people will show you incredible backtest performance but it doesn't mean the strategy will work live.

So many "backtests" on the same instrument can give most different results and thus leading to very WRONG decisions. One example - be it on a 30m intraday decision trade here - you can backtest last 3 days, 3 months or 9 months or 10 years...
What will be the given decisions by those four backtests? You can imagine: at least even 4 or more but for nearly sure you get more "high possibilities" by any different backtest time period.

To make it clear: backtests do NOT give any hint for the future because of so many influences given by the markets, news and all other traders realtime conditions.

Be aware. GFIs1

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

GFIs1 View Post

To make it clear: backtests do NOT give any hint for the future because of so many influences given by the markets, news and all other traders realtime conditions.

I won't clutter this thread debating your contention above (which my experience says is not true), but since you do not use backtests, how do you prove you have a strategy that has an edge? Testing in real time would seem to be very time and money consuming before you statistically know you have an edge.

I'm curious about your approach to this.

Thanks!

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,175
Thanks Received: 6,020

kevinkdog View Post
If you backtest incorrectly, I 100% agree.
If you backtest correctly, though, your odds of future proftability go way up (but still no guarantee of success)

100% agree. I have never seen an exotic bar type backtest perform the same in real time.

Nice post!

Is a tick chart considered an exotic bar type?

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

trendisyourfriend View Post
Is a tick chart considered an exotic bar type?

Good question. When I say exotic I am referring to Kase, Renko, Point and Figure, etc. I have found backtests with those suspect.

I also don't test with tick charts, partly because there is usually a limited amount of data available, and partly because what looks in backtest doesn't translate to real time (speed of tick charts can play a role).

glennts 
Corpus Christi, TX / Westcliffe, CO

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: DDT / Rithmic / Kinetick / IQ
Trading: 6E, ES
Thanks Given: 24
Thanks Received: 1,022

Oliver... Early in this thread someone asked for more specifics and you have yet to provide any. What instruments are you trading and what time frames are you looking at for your analysis? It is possible there is a trader here who is doing what you are but enjoying success. That person is the one who can help you the most and may have suggestions that might turn your situation around. You've given very generalized descriptions of your efforts and not surprisingly all the responses you are getting are very generalized and generic. If you want substantive comments people need something of substance to respond to. The most helpful comments will come if you post charts that explain how you arrived at your decisions and shows the trades that you made. Until then, most people won't really understand what you are talking about and won't be able to help you.

jmh13 
Belize SA

glennts View Post
Oliver... Early in this thread someone asked for more specifics and you have yet to provide any. What instruments are you trading and what time frames are you looking at for your analysis? It is possible there is a trader here who is doing what you are but enjoying success. That person is the one who can help you the most and may have suggestions that might turn your situation around. You've given very generalized descriptions of your efforts and not surprisingly all the responses you are getting are very generalized and generic. If you want substantive comments people need something of substance to respond to. The most helpful comments will come if you post charts that explain how you arrived at your decisions and shows the trades that you made. Until then, most people won't really understand what you are talking about and won't be able to help you.

You are absolutely 100% right on. Show examples and be as specific as possible. Telling someone to buy books and webinars is futile.

jmh13 
Belize SA

Take a look at the Thread here Targets Trading Pro BOT you will see traders posting charts and examples.

Last Updated on November 7, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts