NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Godzilla with 192 posts (326 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 39 posts (70 thanks)
    3. looks_3 emmett with 20 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 steve2222 with 15 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Godzilla with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 steve2222 with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 amoeba with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 62,168 views
    2. thumb_up 460 thanks given
    3. group 56 followers
    1. forum 319 posts
    2. attach_file 135 attachments

Search this Thread

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,775
Thanks Received: 18,223

Godzilla View Post
Pat on the shoulder for not giving up..

22 trades....in reality I really should just turn it off if I'm down more than 50 tics but I just couldn't walk away with a loss for the day...

Besides 22 trades, am I right in seeing that your max size went from 2 previously to 6??

As your across-the-world, informal Asian trading counterpart most evenings, I feel compelled to say in a not so nice way, because I like you and respect you too much to be nice: if I were your risk manager I'd put you on sim tomorrow, no questions asked. Your style seems to be 10-15 trades per day, and 50 trades with 3x regular size means you lost control. You're too good to do that. You simply can not do that.

When I've done this, my P/L curve has invariable had wild swings down, then up, and then usually ending down. Please nip this in the bud! You are having success, and you should absolutely get yourself in the normal Godzilla state of mind before you trade again. Please!

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 353

Hi Josh,

I agree with your trading assessment 100%.....I got frustrated and lost the plot. I suppose all trades after trade 6 were probably errors as I did not stick to my plan for risk control.....the saddest part is that if I just had more patience and stuck to the plan it would have worked out fine with an eventual flat day.

I might have to pass on my opening trade strategy as it's around 70% accurate(lower than the PATS average) but when do you get the inevitable loss on trade 1 your under the gun...this strategy is not part of the PATS set-ups...just something I've picked up from watching the opening moves each day..

Appreciate the candid feedback.

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Godzilla View Post
I might have to pass on my opening trade strategy as it's around 70% accurate(lower than the PATS average) but when do you get the inevitable loss on trade 1 your under the gun...this strategy is not part of the PATS set-ups...just something I've picked up from watching the opening moves each day..

You could adjust your risk parameters and trade this opening strategy -- trading 2 mini HSI's gives you half the normal risk and still lets you trade something that clearly you have found to be advantageous!

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

josh View Post
You could adjust your risk parameters and trade this opening strategy -- trading 2 mini HSI's gives you half the normal risk and still lets you trade something that clearly you have found to be advantageous!

Good point....1 contract will do the trick then....lets see how it goes....your post yesterday gave me a kick in the butt to focus on my discipline again so I traded the afternoon session for 2/2 on a 1 contract....I've still got my mojo (for now(><) but I really need to be able to know when to stop and walk away otherwise I could blow my account(I must have those gambler gene's inside me sadly - doesn't every trader?)....I was down BIG time at one point yesterday but battled back.....this is NOT a good strategy. I think it's more prudent to walk away with a small loss (+ do a detailed daily review of those trades) and reset for tomorrow. Other options include I ONLY take 4 trades per day...win or loss - this is one way to stop myself going crazy like yesterday. Although losing trades are part of trading I still get pissed at myself for having them....this could be a potential problem.

Anyway thanks for your comments..

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

Godzilla View Post
Good point....1 contract will do the trick then....lets see how it goes....your post yesterday gave me a kick in the butt to focus on my discipline again so I traded the afternoon session for 2/2 on a 1 contract....I've still got my mojo (for now(><) but I really need to be able to know when to stop and walk away otherwise I could blow my account(I must have those gambler gene's inside me sadly - doesn't every trader?)....I was down BIG time at one point yesterday but battled back.....this is NOT a good strategy. I think it's more prudent to walk away with a small loss (+ do a detailed daily review of those trades) and reset for tomorrow. Other options include I ONLY take 4 trades per day...win or loss - this is one way to stop myself going crazy like yesterday. Although losing trades are part of trading I still get pissed at myself for having them....this could be a potential problem.

Anyway thanks for your comments..

Hey Godzilla,

Fellow aussie here, been enjoying your journal, I had plans to get into the HSI this year but work had other intentions for me.

With your plan of only 4 trades a day, maybe just a losing limit instead of a total limit? based on what I can see in your journal when the market conditions are in your favour you will expect a big winning day and limiting those times might be detrimental to your long term profitability? Only stopping if you have 3-4 losing trades in a row might just remove losing days where conditions that are not favourable or when you are just not aligned to the market.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Godzilla View Post
I was down BIG time at one point yesterday but battled back.....this is NOT a good strategy. I think it's more prudent to walk away with a small loss (+ do a detailed daily review of those trades) and reset for tomorrow. Other options include I ONLY take 4 trades per day...win or loss - this is one way to stop myself going crazy like yesterday. Although losing trades are part of trading I still get pissed at myself for having them....this could be a potential problem.

I only get pissed at myself when I take a trade that doesn't work that I know is in fact a bad trade, but which at the time I lack the discipline to pass on it, for FOMO. I've had some losing trades which I've been rather proud of because it was really quite a good opportunity. In fact, just now I took a couple of subpar Nikkei trades and while down a pretty small amount, said "nope, not gonna take any more of my money!" Walked away and that was that. On to China.

I know all too well the "down big, battle back" and sort of promising to not do that again. But unfortunately, that does something to our minds which actually make it easier to take bigger risks again next time, often on subpar opportunities.

At any rate, don't overthink it. Trade well. Best to you today and I'll be continuing my HHI trades which I've been hitting pretty well on. Let's see how much PBOC injects in OMO today

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

+6 tics
Struggle street today....back to 1 car....and a couple of errors - more patience.
I have no idea why i put on that last trade - WTF?

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

amoeba View Post
Hey Godzilla,

Fellow aussie here, been enjoying your journal, I had plans to get into the HSI this year but work had other intentions for me.

With your plan of only 4 trades a day, maybe just a losing limit instead of a total limit? based on what I can see in your journal when the market conditions are in your favour you will expect a big winning day and limiting those times might be detrimental to your long term profitability? Only stopping if you have 3-4 losing trades in a row might just remove losing days where conditions that are not favourable or when you are just not aligned to the market.

Hi mate,

As you can see from my journey with the HSI it's amazing at times and a bloody nightmare at other times....I'm on bit of a struggle last couple of days but it always comes back to discipline...just have to wait wait wait for the best set-ups....easier said than done of course and if your not on your game you miss the entry easily given the speed of this market...(best trades close out within seconds)....with my %win rate I'm scratching my head if I get 2 in a row losses....ie something aint right. + I have to be careful as with my 0.5R target win I need 2 wins to make back a single loss..

Appreciate the comments..

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Managed to sneak in another couple (2/2) of trade in yesterdays session at the open for a gain of 14tics....fingers crossed I don't screw that as I only need 3 good trades and I'll be done for day....want to work on patience today and follow the plan.

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

+48 tics for the day.....couple of losing trades that could have been avoided if i was more patient.
- something wrong with the consecutive wins formula - will crack it later.
- the 1 day I lost control (18th) kills the SQN number....food for thought.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 15, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts