NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Godzilla with 192 posts (326 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 39 posts (70 thanks)
    3. looks_3 emmett with 20 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 steve2222 with 15 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Godzilla with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 steve2222 with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 amoeba with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 62,397 views
    2. thumb_up 460 thanks given
    3. group 56 followers
    1. forum 319 posts
    2. attach_file 135 attachments

Search this Thread

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 353

A little daily journal to track my HSI trading.
Why: make myself accountable and proof of method.

Set-up:
Platform - SierraChart64 + CQG datafeed.
Chart Trader Activated.
Bracket orders auto-activated.

My Method:

Style:Pattern trader - discretionary - human neural-network only.

Indicators: 20 bar EMA only + candlesticks on a Tick chart.

Target - aim for 50 ticks per day with a 2 lot(AUD450/US330/day). A maximum of 8 trades per day - ideally<5.

Common sense trading rules: No set-up = no trade. No trade is better than a dumb trade. Don't chase the market. Don't monkey with your trades. Be patient.

Trading Error target <10% of all trades. Target is <5%. Error = not following the trading plan...it's not related to the trade P&L result.

Circuit Breaker - 3 losses in a row = STOP TRADING for that day - review the trades and restart tomorrow.

Trading Period - trade the open each day and then for 1 hour approx or less if hit target sooner....then walk away and get a life....occasionally might trade the afternoon session for 30 minutes if family commitments allow. Noon session is normally slower and harder to read from my limited experience.

Note: daily economic calendar event times and ensure flat position going into news announcement. (Investing.com)

Be cautious the first 2-3 minutes after cash market opens (15 mins after futs start) as market volatility is high and riskier unless a perfect set-up exists.

Why I trade the HSI? - highest volume index contract in Asia that I can trade via AMP, good timezone as no family disturbances, ASX SPI futs(+N225) don't move anywhere near as much and the start time clashes with family commitments.

Will aim to copy out my daily blotter (using 1 lot only) that I use and keep some basic running stats. Will look into the intraday charts with signals in due course if the hassle factor is minimal.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Fingers crossed this chart file uploads ok ?

10 trades (6 wins /1 loss/3 scratch)
80 tics (2 lot)
a few more breakevens(scratch) than normal...
1 error - on the first trade changing target level....stupid, should have been a 20tic profit instead of scratch

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F.US.HSIF20  750 Trades  #2 2020-01-22  12_38_20.727.png
Views:	469
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	284934  
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

7 trades.....multiple missed entries (not sure if the feed is slow today?)

+64tics
7 trades...4 Wins, 2 scratch....1 loss(stupid again) - if u miss the entry wait for the next bus.

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,780
Thanks Received: 18,248

Godzilla View Post
Why I trade the HSI? - highest volume index contract in Asia that I can trade via AMP

Minor note that the MJNK (mini Nikkei) has at least 4x the volume of HSI, on average.

That being said, HSI certainly moves "better" and is more interesting to trade usually!

Please feel free to stop by and post on this thread started a few weeks back related to trading Asian session products:

My experience has been that when I accept my losses quickly, trading the HSI is profitable. When I let a trade go too far in the HSI, it can be disastrous, as it is a beast that can run 50-80 points in less than a minute, at times.

Welcome and the best to you trading the HSI! I look forward to stopping by and seeing your journal!

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

josh View Post
Minor note that the MJNK (mini Nikkei) has at least 4x the volume of HSI, on average.

That being said, HSI certainly moves "better" and is more interesting to trade usually!

Please feel free to stop by and post on this thread started a few weeks back related to trading Asian session products:

My experience has been that when I accept my losses quickly, trading the HSI is profitable. When I let a trade go too far in the HSI, it can be disastrous, as it is a beast that can run 50-80 points in less than a minute, at times.

Welcome and the best to you trading the HSI! I look forward to stopping by and seeing your journal!

Noted: maybe a more accurate description is "HSI is the highest volatility Asian Index Future".....it's such a shame the NKY trades in a 5pt tick size otherwise it would be an incredible contract...

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Learnt my lesson today....don't bother trading the day before Chinese NY - which means no trading until next Wednesday 29th. Market SO much slower than normal...should have realised this and taken the day off..

FLAT..0 ticks today....first flat day in ages.
3 trades 2 wins, 1 loss (also a trade error as stop was to close)...large range bar..
I see no point in wasting my time on the screen today..

Thanked by:
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Stats:

traded - 3 days (2 hit target 1 breakeven)

164 tics (1 tic USD = $6.66, AUD= $9.10 approx)

21 trades
3 loss (15%)
4 scratch(20%) - higher than normal - means market price hit target but moved back to entry price.
14 Winners(65%) - a bit lower than normal as more scratch trades this week.

2 Errors - both were losers.
1. Stop placement to close - follow the rules
2. chased a trade as market moved to fast to enter...follow the rules

Takeaway - probably should NOT have traded Friday as Chinese NY had started.

steve2222 
Auckland, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Whatever moves in my timezone
Thanks Given: 3,379
Thanks Received: 1,540

Godzilla View Post
Stats:

traded - 3 days (2 hit target 1 breakeven)

164 tics (1 tic USD = $6.66, AUD= $9.10 approx)

21 trades
3 loss (15%)
4 scratch(20%) - higher than normal - means market price hit target but moved back to entry price.
14 Winners(65%) - a bit lower than normal as more scratch trades this week.

2 Errors - both were losers.
1. Stop placement to close - follow the rules
2. chased a trade as market moved to fast to enter...follow the rules

Takeaway - probably should NOT have traded Friday as Chinese NY had started.

Yep agree. I found Friday slow as well plus it was a half day with market closing 12:30pm local for the LNY.

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr, Danish Physicist
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Itching to trade (kids first day back at school today).....just checked the HK Exchange website....latest news is trading begins on 29th Jan...(tomorrow) - fingers crossed as it wouldn't surprise me it's suspended trading with all the Virus data coming out...I am truly sceptical the Chinese Govt is giving real numbers..

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 15, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts