NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Godzilla with 192 posts (326 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 39 posts (70 thanks)
    3. looks_3 emmett with 20 posts (7 thanks)
    4. looks_4 steve2222 with 15 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 1.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Godzilla with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 steve2222 with 1.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 amoeba with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 62,168 views
    2. thumb_up 460 thanks given
    3. group 56 followers
    1. forum 319 posts
    2. attach_file 135 attachments

Search this Thread

The HSI Index Futures Scalping Experiment

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Given: 43
Thanks Received: 353

steve2222 View Post
Ah ah, I could be flippant and say anything that moves because in these uncertain times all sorts of markets have provided good movement during the Asian hours.

But typically (normally) the MHI on the HKFE and sometimes Gold and Euro on the CME. I then switch to Eurex about 8am EU time and look at MDAX, FESX, and FGBL.

I normally only trade the MHI for 2-3 hours from 9:30 their time to midday lunch break. Then I have a few hours off before Eurex opens at 8am their time.

Steve - your a machine.....trading around the clock....you make me look lazy....I limit myself to 90 minutes per day...otherwise it's a slot machine for me.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
15 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,774
Thanks Received: 18,195

Thanks very much @amoeba for posting those.

Would you mind confirming the tick size, value per tick, volume per day? Not trying to give you work, just looking to get info from someone who actually has it live!

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

josh View Post
Thanks very much @amoeba for posting those.

Would you mind confirming the tick size, value per tick, volume per day? Not trying to give you work, just looking to get info from someone who actually has it live!

No worries;

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,774
Thanks Received: 18,195

awesome, thanks @amoeba -- would you say that the mini kospi is liquid enough to trade?

I see that my assessment was incorrect about yesterday's session btw -- the range was about 4 points, and with a 0.05 tick size, that's 80 ticks... I was off by an order of magnitude yesterday thanks to looking at the wrong chart! That said, it sounds kind of like it might be like the Nikkei; curious if anyone else could compare it.

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Shorter Week with Easter April 14-17

T +45 (5/6) - awesome Vol after the break - should have made double this. Idiot!
W +32 ( 8/11 - too many trades...struggled - blew the 3rd trade..
Th +42 (4/5) - slow mkt..missing the volatility of Monday.
Fr +36 (4/6) - poor sleep last night (which logically means wind down the risk and go back to 1 contract or take the day-off?) + slow market today...low volume of trades at this time of day (It's Friday - usually my worst day of the week)

.......did manage to bank some proper coin on my SMSF selling out of CTD this morning. the SMSF has had a roller coaster ride this year down 10% now up 13% YTD Vs ASX200 index down 19%..but that's another story. Need to add a Mean-Reversion Model to the account later this year when i get a chance.

Thanked by:
 my2108 
Kowloon, Hong Kong

Experience: Advanced
Platform: MC
Broker: IB
Trading: HSI
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 3

HI Godzilla - I tried to read your chart but I couldnt catch whats you entry and exit criteria. Do you mind to share?
You mentioned 20 EMA?

Godzilla View Post
A little daily journal to track my HSI trading.
Why: make myself accountable and proof of method.

Set-up:
Platform - SierraChart64 + CQG datafeed.
Chart Trader Activated.
Bracket orders auto-activated.

My Method:

Style:Pattern trader - discretionary - human neural-network only.

Indicators: 20 bar EMA only + candlesticks on a Tick chart.

Target - aim for 50 ticks per day with a 2 lot(AUD450/US330/day). A maximum of 8 trades per day - ideally<5.

Common sense trading rules: No set-up = no trade. No trade is better than a dumb trade. Don't chase the market. Don't monkey with your trades. Be patient.

Trading Error target <10% of all trades. Target is <5%. Error = not following the trading plan...it's not related to the trade P&L result.

Circuit Breaker - 3 losses in a row = STOP TRADING for that day - review the trades and restart tomorrow.

Trading Period - trade the open each day and then for 1 hour approx or less if hit target sooner....then walk away and get a life....occasionally might trade the afternoon session for 30 minutes if family commitments allow. Noon session is normally slower and harder to read from my limited experience.

Note: daily economic calendar event times and ensure flat position going into news announcement. (Investing.com)

Be cautious the first 2-3 minutes after cash market opens (15 mins after futs start) as market volatility is high and riskier unless a perfect set-up exists.

Why I trade the HSI? - highest volume index contract in Asia that I can trade via AMP, good timezone as no family disturbances, ASX SPI futs(+N225) don't move anywhere near as much and the start time clashes with family commitments.

Will aim to copy out my daily blotter (using 1 lot only) that I use and keep some basic running stats. Will look into the intraday charts with signals in due course if the hassle factor is minimal.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

my2108 View Post
HI Godzilla - I tried to read your chart but I couldnt catch whats you entry and exit criteria. Do you mind to share?
You mentioned 20 EMA?

hi mate,

The Holy-Grail -->> https://priceactiontradingsystem.com/

I basically follow Macks's set-ups on a tic chart....I would say the set-ups are not as good in the HSI as trading the ES for which the strategy was originally designed for, but good enough....you do get some very good signals on the DAX as well.

The most important factor -> discipline.

Obelixtrader 
Slovakia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader 8
Broker: Interactive Brokers,Tastytrade,Birdwingo
Trading: K200M,KOSDQ150,US stock option
Thanks Given: 116
Thanks Received: 109

josh View Post
awesome, thanks @amoeba -- would you say that the mini kospi is liquid enough to trade?

I see that my assessment was incorrect about yesterday's session btw -- the range was about 4 points, and with a 0.05 tick size, that's 80 ticks... I was off by an order of magnitude yesterday thanks to looking at the wrong chart! That said, it sounds kind of like it might be like the Nikkei; curious if anyone else could compare it.

Mini kospi has tick size 0,02 and its month to month contract expire second thursday in month and liquidity daily volume more than 100K
There is aslo KOSDAQ 150 futures with tick size 0,01 x10000KRW= 1000KRW and dalily liquidity is about 60-80K

Godzilla
Brisbane, Australia

Week 20-24 April 2020

Market volatility still falling and really struggled today to read the direction correctly - many fake-outs ruined the day..got hammered on the last 2 trades. I always struggle on Fridays for some reason.
Overall, good result given I'm home schooling the kids and they are working on my home office sometimes past the open.

M - +50(4/5)
T - +56(4/6)
W - +101(6/6) - awesome!
Th - +77 (7/8)
Fri - +2 (4/6) - shit day!

The model on the retirement account has been selling a couple of positions this week for decent profits but it's a longer term stock model that could be signalling this is a bear market bounce that is turning....I hope not, but most likely given past big market crashes.

Thanked by:

jakobe 
Atlanta, Georgia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 69
Thanks Received: 91

Very curious to hear your opinion of HSI vs Nikkei price action and flow differences. I used to trade the Nikkei a lot as it was the only instrument I could trade with work. I've looked over the HSI a tad and have enjoyed reading your journal. Looks like it will run a lot more when compared against the Nikkei in regards to volatility. Any insight would be cool, considering touching this market myself.

Last Updated on December 15, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts