NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

WHAT ARE THE MOST POPULAR PLATFORMS?

Discussion in Platforms and Indicators

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Rrrracer with 3 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two OpalDragon with 2 posts (2 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 2 posts (9 thanks)
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 2 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one matthew28 with 5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 4.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Rrrracer with 3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 5,801 views
    2. thumb_up 42 thanks given
    3. group 5 followers
    1. forum 16 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

WHAT ARE THE MOST POPULAR PLATFORMS?

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: GC/MGC, MCL, MES
Thanks Given: 10,585
Thanks Received: 5,870

"Not Listed" is mostly Sierra people, right? I need to get a Sierra license just for the entertainment of the support board! Maybe I'll be able to cancel cable...

(Sorry for the de-rail...couldn't resist. )

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
What is Markets Chat (markets.chat) real-time trading ro …
76 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
55 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
37 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks
 ocpb 
Hartford CT, USA

Platform: None
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 152
Thanks Received: 125

bobwest View Post
These platforms are all heavy in the retail trade, at least the ones near the top that I know anything about. Further down, I couldn't say.

I'm no expert on automated trading with any platform (I do my own indicator coding and have on several, but that's a different kind of thing), but from what I have seen, Sierra Chart is at least equal in this to Trade Station and Ninja, and from what I know, better than ThinkOrSwim. (I have used all four, but at different times and so I may not be up to date now about current capabilities.) I've not encountered any criticism of SC in this respect, anyway. I could be wrong, but it would be new to me if automation were not something where it's at least competitive with the others.

I believe choices such as R/Python/Matlab, Quantopian are strictly automated, Amibroker seems to have a reputation more for backtesting performance. Certainly "Excel Spreadsheet" is primarily for working out mechanical strategies. And naturally Tradestation is number one, seems to me to have the most longstanding support and community for retail automated trading. Ninja has so much market share that they would probably show up in any list. These are why I am simply wondering about the background of the survey. Often with polls, *who* is surveyed is just as important as the result. The list was posted by Kevin - automated strategy educator.

With respect to automated trading, I agree with you that Sierra Chart is just as competitive in my opinion, feature and flexibility-wise, as any other choice on the market. But in my opinion it's lacking accessibilty to regular investors for strategizing their trades, and it's not only because of very not-user-friendly customer support. The "learning curve" reputation of the platform is well documented (not deserved IMO), and that is even before you get to it's automation capabilities which require C++ or understanding it's own unique spreadsheet system for trading. These would place it not high on the list. And by the list, I meant in general on a list in the minds of regular investor / traders who might be interested in taking an automated strategy class.

Thanked by:
 OpalDragon 
Des Moines, Iowa

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninja Trader
Trading: 6E, CL, Anything that moves
Thanks Given: 733
Thanks Received: 232

Awesome Responses Gentlemen! Thanks a million....

I love the thorough and mature responses.... I have asked this question in other forums and actually get a "aggressive" responses from some dudes that have some kind for ignorant freak out --- like if I insulted their kid by asking which platform is best... and why... etc....

Almost like saying Chevy Sucks -- to a '67 Camaro owner that drives the Camaro every day and works at the Chevy plant... you know.

That is the kind of responses I have gotten. Unbelievably retarded. So I was beautifully surprised by all the great and mature responses.

-----------
So My thoughts on this:
I do think Sierra Charts and MatLab are basically the absolute best.....
Then Xtrader for ultra reliable DOM and AutoSpreader
And then finally >>> TRADING VIEW is definitely awesome and powerful to have that reliability and redundancy in a fully backed up platform online and not dependent on local hardware.

But I have a ton of epic programs for Ninja 8 that I would need to get them all converted. And that would suck..... Because I have excellent programs from 4 different people and then a few more CUSTOM PROGRAMS I have made. :O

Right now Ninja 8 is working good -- BUT IDEALLY -- I would love Sierra Charts or TradingView. 100% ideal.
I think Trading View will continue to get better and better also...
1)it is growing like crazy and
2)those monthly fees give it constant income to improve
3) since it is cloud based they only have one platform and one running environment to really worry about = html5. They don't have to worry about MAC or Windows or Linux :O Very very cool....

My only worry about TradingView is if we can make our indicators fully private/protected. If you make an indicator in PineScript is it open to everyone or can it be protected in someway? I have to ask about that.

Epic platforms like XTRADER / AUTOSPREADER are for people trading 100's of lots at a time....
You can also trade 100's of lots in the other platforms though no problem.
Xtrader's monopoly on the ultra-high lot traders has diminished significantly with the great new platforms.

They are still epic in their Algo Creation and Execution Features AND the AutoSpreader [ which is an algo unto itself basically ]

But for everyone else especially starting out -- there is no need for that. Doesn't give you any edge whatsoever unless you are using its AlgoCreation Lab or its AutoSpreader.

At least that is how I see it. I could be wrong.

Also I don't see MatLab as a trading platform -- more of an ultra advanced research platform/tool. You can take the excellent levels you find in MatLab and export them to whatever other platform you want.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,012

Don't be surprised if Tradingview takes over most of these guys in couple of years, they have some advantages;

1. They are cloud based
2. Most brokers (even the discount ones) are offering Tradingview charting platform. Note that these guys don't offer pine terminal for it, so you can't program on broker provided terminal.
3. Their free version is available for coding, and its backed by very involved and innovative coding community.
4. Pine is very easy to learn and manipulate, it is very verbose. And if you had any kind of previous programing experience, you can probably do it in couple of days.
5. Its easiest and free way to back test strategies and papertrade
6. There are lot of ways to get upgraded plans for cheap, one of them being active programmer or coming to referral, so its not that costly if you really need it.
7. Its visually probably most appealing platform in market atm.

TV is replacing Amibroker and Ninja in my local market.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

I have no idea who the 100 people are, what their trading style was, where they are located, etc.

All I can say is they visited my blog, and decided to take the survey.

Since I do automated algos, you can assume the respondents had at least some interest in that, but many might also have been discretionary traders when they took the survey.

Sorry I can't help beyond that.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 jokertrader 
NYC, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra, TT
Broker: N/A
Trading: Spread Researcher and crypto degen
Thanks Given: 545
Thanks Received: 360

I will tell you in times of craziness Sierra with CQG feed (which I use every day) has lagged while CQGs own platforms with direct feed have been been rock solid...though u pay for many a feature including automation and backtesting

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

jokertrader View Post
I will tell you in times of craziness Sierra with CQG feed (which I use every day) has lagged while CQGs own platforms with direct feed have been been rock solid...

Interesting, I have the same combo and have never noticed an issue.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on November 4, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts