NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

WHICH CPU is BEST for NINJA TRADER 7 and 8 ?

Discussion in Tech Support

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one OpalDragon with 8 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two josh with 7 posts (14 thanks)
    3. looks_3 phantomtrader with 7 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 userque with 6 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Meklon with 4.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two LittleFinger with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 OpalDragon with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 33,061 views
    2. thumb_up 109 thanks given
    3. group 343 followers
    1. forum 82 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

WHICH CPU is BEST for NINJA TRADER 7 and 8 ?

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

f1p0pt10ns View Post
Question not so much about CPU or computer build itself but should I have an antivirus|malware|internet security application on my trading PC?

f1p

If this is purely used for trading, IMO no. Don't go to web sites you don't trust, don't download files from sources you don't trust, and keep the internet activity generally for trading.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
userque
Chicago IL

Thanks Given: 573
Thanks Received: 129

f1p0pt10ns View Post
Question not so much about CPU or computer build itself but should I have an antivirus|malware|internet security application on my trading PC?

f1p

IMO, if you are running windows, you should be using windows firewall and windows defender, etc.

userque
Chicago IL

josh View Post
If this is purely used for trading, IMO no. Don't go to web sites you don't trust, don't download files from sources you don't trust, and keep the internet activity generally for trading.

In a perfect world, you're correct. But in this world, not going to websites you "don't trust" is not enough. Research port scanning. Research what can happen when trusted websites get hacked.

f1p0pt10ns 
Rochester, NY USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: GC
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 39

userque View Post
In a perfect world, you're correct. But in this world, not going to websites you "don't trust" is not enough. Research port scanning. Research what can happen when trusted websites get hacked.

I have windows firewall and defender but I also run AVG Virus Protection and AVG Internet Security. On my trading PC I only go to F.IO to download and use my laptop for other internet browsing.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
userque
Chicago IL

f1p0pt10ns View Post
I have windows firewall and defender but I also run AVG Virus Protection and AVG Internet Security. On my trading PC I only go to F.IO to download and use my laptop for other internet browsing.

I hope you're saying that you run the firewall and antivirus on both computers.

f1p0pt10ns 
Rochester, NY USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: GC
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 39

userque View Post
I hope you're saying that you run the firewall and antivirus on both computers.

I do. I was just unsure if running the antivirus on the trading PC is slowing it down and possibly hindering performance. Thank you.

f1p

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
userque
Chicago IL

f1p0pt10ns View Post
I do. I was just unsure if running the antivirus on the trading PC is slowing it down and possibly hindering performance. Thank you.

f1p

I exclude certain folders from real-time antivirus scans. For one example: Ninjatrader folders.

Thanked by:

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,752
Thanks Received: 18,136

userque View Post

On my linux machine I run fail2ban, which detects port scans and allows me to ban an IP which attempts to log into ssh after a failed password attempt. To use your phrasing, "research it." However, I only have port 22 open, nothing else, and on my trading (windows) machine, I have no open ports. If you do have some ports open to the world, then it's a good idea to supplement with some service like this.

But on a trading machine, I see no reason to have anything open to the public. Turn the OS firewall on. Don't download stuff. If you do, verify checksums. Keep your browser up to date. In general, be smart. But, you do not need virus scanners which contribute little and add overhead. Use them if you like, but they are not necessary.

Thanked by:
userque
Chicago IL

josh View Post
...But, you do not need virus scanners which contribute little and add overhead. Use them if you like, but they are not necessary.

In your case, a virus scanner would just be added security...insurance. Properly configured, it won't need many resources; so why not. Are you making millisecond trades? No. Not from home.

You don't know what you don't know.

Zero day exploits are real.

Just my humble opinion.

EgoRisk 
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NT8, Bookmap
Trading: ES, MES
Thanks Given: 78
Thanks Received: 198

josh View Post
On my linux machine I run fail2ban, which detects port scans and allows me to ban an IP which attempts to log into ssh after a failed password attempt. To use your phrasing, "research it." However, I only have port 22 open, nothing else, and on my trading (windows) machine, I have no open ports. If you do have some ports open to the world, then it's a good idea to supplement with some service like this.

But on a trading machine, I see no reason to have anything open to the public. Turn the OS firewall on. Don't download stuff. If you do, verify checksums. Keep your browser up to date. In general, be smart. But, you do not need virus scanners which contribute little and add overhead. Use them if you like, but they are not necessary.

@josh , I was wondering if you've ever tried to trade from a Windows virtual machine running on a Linux machine. Have you?

I was thinking with a high thread count processor (eg, 3950X) and about 64GB of ram, there would be enough hardware to support running a trading machine as a virtual machine on a Linux box. Or do you think the overhead of the virtual environment would outweigh any potential benefits?

Do you even see any benefits to doing this, even if it could be done?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 12, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts